You are not logged in.

#1 01-06-07 03:57:57

sw
Verified Member

Community Speed Watch schemes

Police in our county have started 'Community Speed Watch' schemes where they train local residents to use a speed check gun at the side of the road, note down reg's of speeding motorists and pass them to the police who send out a warning letter. A friend of mine drove past one the other day, they were hiding behind a van apparently and he reckons he got caught by them (he called them 'Gatso Grannies'). Do you think it's a good idea having them or does it put the people at risk from being attacked by irate motorists?

Personally I think there should be a lot more speed checks but not by members of the public. Traffic Police now spend a lot of their time doing 'normal' policing instead of actual traffic policing like this but they're properly trained for it, these members of the public would have no way of defending themselves against an irate motorist.

01-06-07 03:57:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Community Speed Watch schemes

#2 01-06-07 07:53:12

AndyBerry

It's very 'hit and miss' as to how effective this scheme could be... ideally I would see it implemented at school times, near schools on busy roads to try and help reduce peoples speeds - I'm seeing an increasing number of people go tanking by a lollypop person (better be P.C there!) when they have their lollypop raised.

The thing to remember is that these people don't actually get any action taken against them, just a friendly warning that they were speeding and a reminder that they were speeding and that it could just as easily of been a real speed camera.

#3 01-06-07 08:31:18

DampDog
Verified Member

Smacks more of giving irate villagers a feeling that they are achieving something, "Gatso grannies" about sums it up. What is the point? Yes, they can record speeding motorist so what! they get a letter through the post telling them they've been a bad boy (Or girl, for the PC amongst us).

What we really want is more traffic cops, then we might stand a chance of getting some of the absolute idiots off the road that we see every day. The guys doing 34 in a 30 zone are not the ones putting lifes at significant danger. The lunatics doing 75 are. The whole ethos of more and more speed cameras making the roads safer is absolute twaddle. We all se em, 29 through the camera in 2nd, 10 yards after they're doing 65 with their mates 3ft behind them.

Speeding fines should be incremental and draconian

5mph+ above limit = £40 + 2 points
10mph+  = £80 + 3 points
15mph+  = £120 + 4 points
20 mph+ = £200 + 5 points
30 mph+ = £1000 + 6 points (1 week ban)
You get the idea...

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 01-06-07 09:43:54

AndyBerry

30mph and over at moment is supposed to be an instant ban... and I support that - that's the people doing 60 in a 30, or 100 on a motorway/dual carriageway! These are the collisions no pedestrian/motorcyclist could normally survive - I'm sure we've all seen the little girl on TV... hit her at 40 and she'll more than likely die, 30 and she usually won't - I reckon anyone breaching 10mph over the limit in a residential area should get 6 points straight off, no messing around!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 01-06-07 11:36:41

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I wonder if they're paying them for their time - I would hope so.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd want to do it in an area where I was well known.

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#6 01-06-07 11:47:27

sw
Verified Member

No they're volunteers. They had some photos of them in the local paper, a group of retired locals.

#7 01-06-07 16:32:04

Kev D
Verified Member

There was a scheme not too long ago at a force local to me.  The police were speed checking approaching motorists, and pulling them over by using the number 1 stop signal from the side of the road.

The drivers were then told that they had been caught exceeding the speed limit, and they had 2 options of how they wanted to proceed with it.  They could accept the fixed penalty notice of 3pts and £60 fine, OR they could go 20yds down the road to the group of primary school children stood at the school entrance and apologise to them for speeding down their road outside the school, and to answer any questions that the children posed.

Well as you can imagine, all the drivers were very embarassed when speaking to the children, and were all probably humbled by the experience, and hopefully this changed their driving attitude (even if it was only a short time).  There was however one exception, one of the drivers said "I haven't got time for this, gimme the ticket".

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#8 01-06-07 17:37:30

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

These schemes are all positive.  YEAH it would be great to see more police on the streets/roads etc.....

BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING! this is fantastic and good on you all!

The "go and appologise to the school kids one is BRILLIANT!  BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO DO BOTH!  YEAH its 5 mins out of their "important" schedule!  BUT it'll be a lifetime of work, rest AND play from the poor sod who crosses the road, and gets hit!

DAMPDOG....i love your approach....however I find 20's and 30's are THE most important limits.....YES the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's are important too!  BUT ANYONE who is speeding in a 20/30 is totally stupid! 

Lets face it the 40's+ roads are geared up to faster speeds, NOT THAT I SPEED, and NOT THAT I SUPPORT IT, but for example it comes down to road conditions!

someone doing 80 on a quiet dual carridgeway on a dry day....ok they are speeding and very silly, but they are not tailgating and the road is set up for it......however as soon as they do 40 in a 30 (same mph difference.....) their stopping distances are MORE important because the road is not meant for faster speeds, and there are LOTS more hazards than on a dual carridgeway!

As far as I'm aware, germany + belgium has a STRICT SPEEDING policy and enforces HIGH FINES and PENALTIES!

although I'd like to see higher penalities, I'd much prefer the penalites we already have in place ENFORCED!  DAILY I see people speeding, and WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT! 

I could pull up at the lights, and lecture them....and i'd get knocked out!

I could ring the police and to be fair they would not get there on time?  and I cannot prove their speed on my in car video, so no evidence!

I could campaign for more speed cameras, but they just click, and no film, or send out an automatic ticket.....NO EXPLAINATION of why it is important, and HOW to sort it out!

so.....we SHOULD have more traffic police on the road

so.....we SHOULD have more of these community safety camera schemes

and we SHOULD not just send out tickets, but HAVE MANDATORY DRIVER TRAINING, not just a volentary scheme! 

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#9 01-06-07 17:49:20

DampDog
Verified Member

I absolutely agree speed (Or safety) cameras have an important job to do. I also believe they do nothing to change the way drivers with a certain mindset drive on a daily basis. What also freaks me out is the way safety cameras have become the bandwagon that many politicians jump on to justify spending on additional cameras, but not extra policing for the roads.

As an ADI, safety is quite rightly one of our prime considerations, we all stress the dangers associated with speeding through our instruction. So what are we doing wrong if anything? The vast proportion of road accidents are in the 17-24 year olds, other than the hormones coursing through there veins at that age what else make them disregard their tuition so readily.

That said our roads are actually very safe,
In 2005, 671 pedestrians were killed in road accidents in Great Britain, this was 21 per cent of all deaths from road accidents, the lowest total for over 40 years.

The total number of deaths in road accidents fell slightly by 1 per cent to 3,201 in 2005 from 3,221 in 2004. However, the number of fatalities has remained fairly constant over the last ten years. ( And that is with over 26 million cars on UK roads)

When people start quoting figures, especially politicians I am the worlds biggest sceptic. "Gatso grannies" just seem a feeble attempt to placate the local villagers and generate something that's slightly news worthy near to election time.

It's also worth bearing in mind you're not looking in the wrong direction, though 3000+ road deaths is way to high especially as many are avoidable. Just have a little look at the numbers associated with heart disease and other killers.

In the UK, someone has a heart attack every two minutes.
Nearly all deaths from CHD are because of a heart attack.
Around 230,000 people in the UK suffer a heart attack each year.
In around 30 per cent of heart attacks, the patient dies.

Almost 2.6 million people have heart and circulatory disease in the UK. CHD is the most common cause of premature death in the UK, causing 105,000 deaths a year. This compares to around 33,000 deaths a year from lung cancer, 16,000 deaths from colo-rectal cancer and just over 12,000 deaths from breast cancer.

Just make you wonder where should we really be spending the tax payers money.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#10 01-06-07 18:03:55

DampDog
Verified Member

Just for fun...

Imagine if they applied the same rules to being overweight as to speeding....being overweight won't harm a pedestrian but may harm you. Unless of course you have a heart attack at the wheel while driving the school bus past a football match!

7lbs over £50
1st over £100
2st over £500
3 st+ £1000 and all the lettuce you can eat.

I know its a daft idea, but some things cost an absolute fortune and are almost impossible to change, while others cost next to nothing and have dramatic affects. It's all about proportionality.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#11 01-06-07 18:10:16

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Quite right DampDog....

some of the MAJOR contributor to heart problems are transport related.

Primarily the long hours, stressful and tiring working conditions we have in this country does not help!  So many employers just dish out a job for someone to do, regardless of transport times, hours, sleep/fatigue or eating!  This is immoral and in most cases illegal!  People use it as an excuse to speed...however do not go back to the boss and say, sorry, I cannot do all that in a day, because it is unsafe, and I may have to speed to make that appointment!

Secondary to this is the EATING element of been on the road, as we may know ourselves!  How many roadside takeaway venues, and petrol stations offer HEATHLY QUICK satifying food and a space to rest?  Motorway services are STILL so expensive, and there are TOO FEW stopping/resting places which feel safe or even somewhere you would want to stop AT ALL.....again in europe there are numberous picnic areas and PUBLIC toilets which are practical pleasant and clean!

So I take your point, and totally agree....but lets look at the whole picture! 

fewer "do it now" employers may mean less speeding and more relaxed driving styles......less accidents!

more heathly + safe places to stop when on the road will provide people with less stressful travelling

may help heart conditions?  I dunno!  But smoking bad will help...hopefully!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 01-06-07 18:10:44

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

The total number of deaths in road accidents fell slightly by 1 per cent to 3,201 in 2005 from 3,221 in 2004. However, the number of fatalities has remained fairly constant over the last ten years. ( And that is with over 26 million cars on UK roads)

In effect that is an improvement because of the year on year increase in miles travelled, and vehicles on the road.

The number of cars and lorries on Britain’s roads rose by 33 per cent between 1979 and 1997

#13 01-06-07 18:23:12

DampDog
Verified Member

I just get irritated sometimes that speeding ( as measured by speed cameras) is talked about as if it is the major problem. It's just a symptom.

But it is the mindset and attitude that goes with it that are the real problem. We know the sort we can spot em a mile off, you're doing 30 in a 30 and they try to bully you into going faster. They use the phone, cause the rules don't apply to them, their whole attitude to driving is aggresive.

Speed cameras don't fix that, police in traffic cars stop that. I sooner see more police on the road and stiffer penalties for idiots, not more cameras being toted as the fix for bad driving.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#14 01-06-07 23:28:50

AndyBerry

OK so hows about this:

first time someone is caught speeding, talking on phone or similar, instead of giving them an instant fine and 3 points, they get sent to a reeducation thing for a day - where they have to discuss the problems of speeding etc with others and how they could do things differently... the next time, £100 fine and 6 points straight off + another day being reeducated

Andy

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 02-06-07 17:22:13

kev elliott

Primarily the long hours, stressful and tiring working conditions we have in this country does not help!  So many employers just dish out a job for someone to do, regardless of transport times, hours, sleep/fatigue or eating!  This is immoral and in most cases illegal!  People use it as an excuse to speed...however do not go back to the boss and say, sorry, I cannot do all that in a day, because it is unsafe, and I may have to speed to make that appointment!

The working time directive goes a long way to addressing this issue - I belive it is now illegal to work without an eleven hour break between shifts, and the company mangers are required to monitor that this being compleied with.

This link gives the current regulations on working time
http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employ … index.html

I also understand that under health and safety at work regualtions companies are expected to have policies in place to promote safe driving which includes setting resonable schedules of work. This extends to people driving to and from a place of work which is not their normal base.

This link give the details of the requirements placed on employers.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg382.pdf

Remember also that as far as Health and Safety is concerned no employee can have action taken against them for raising a concern. If they are dismissed for refusing to breach health and safety policies then I think you will find that this classed as Unfair Dismissal and no 2 year period applies.   

#16 02-06-07 19:26:36

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that KEV!  brilliant, one of my family had this situation!  and now that has been sorted!

Fleet Training

Board footer