You are not logged in.

#1 29-05-07 20:11:06

A*
Verified Member

ADI Training

I am very interested in becoming an ADI trainer, I have been an ADI for just over a year. What training/qualifications do I need, and is it expensive? Are there any good schools giving quality ADI training that I could contact? All repllies greatfully received.

29-05-07 20:11:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-05-07 23:02:49

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Unfortunately at the moment you could advertise it and undertake it with no training or qualifications at all. However this will probably change over the next year or so with all ADI trainers needing to be ORDIT registered.

I was working for company when I first started doing ADI training, and was woefully underprepared for it. I had some success, but this was more due to enthusiasm and a clear head than from giving consistantly good quality training.

When I went independent I tried to find someone who offered an ORDIT accreditation course, but unfortunately there are very few. John Farlam offers one, but the costs were out of my league, and as I didn't want to go back to working for one of the big boys in the hope that they would then take me on as a trainer. I realised I was going to have to do it myself.

I contacted a really good ADI trainer, who is himself ORDIT qualified, and asked his advice. In the end I took a little training with him, and worked my backside off trying to fulfill the ORDIT regs to the best of my ability. Once I feel I have done enough work to satisfy the necessary components of the regs, I ask my trainer to check what I have done. With a lot of application, and around a years worth of work, I'm now almost there.

What I would say is that you should probably take time to do this - most trainers will not take you on with only a year of training learners (some say 3 years minimum, some 5), but in the meantime try to gain:

Dip DI
An adult ed qualification (7302 or similar)
DIAmond special or Cardington (would be best as they follow the DSA marking scheme)
Some Coaching skills (NLP practitioner or similar)
Fleet Badge
And aim for a grade 6 (or at least a 5) in your next check test!

I have none of the above (well, got a grade 5 and a fleet badge) on paper, but I wish I had. Unfortunately I didn't find forums like this one until I was well on the way! I'm halfway through my Dip DI study, I'm working on the NLP practitioner certification, and one of these days I'll get around to doing the Cardington. In the meantime I'm concentrating on the lilac badge! (oh, and about another 3 exams for various other training work I do!)

Costs should come to around £1000 once I've had the assessment and site visit. And around 150 hours of work on my course/paperwork to fulfil the regs to a good standard that I can be proud of.

If you want to contact me for any more information - feel free.

Hope this helps.

#3 30-05-07 07:20:33

A*
Verified Member

Thanks a lot for that. I find it insane that you dont need any extra qualifications. I think I well leave it for now and re think after my next check test, which should be in a couple of years time. If I wanted to do any of the courses you mentioned in the meantime where can I get the relevant information. Cheers.

#4 30-05-07 09:16:43

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The Dip DI is run by the DIA (www.driving.org), and you can get the workbooks etc from them (around £80ish)

Local colleges usually run Adult Ed certification courses

DIA run DIAmond courses

NLP is something you can study on your own (NLP for Dummies, and Sue Knight's NLP at Work are both good), and a search on the web for courses will turn up loads - just do a little research into who is holding them, and the purpose of the course - some are just self-help courses, but you want a coaching course really.

You can do the Fleet through the DSA (get the Fleet Starter pack and question bank from them for more info, I did my course with "hector" from here - www.excelsiortraining.co.uk)

If you have a look at the Instructor Training Links and Fleet Links pages on my main site (www.beyonddriving.co.uk), and the books pages you should find some useful information.

Good luck!

#5 30-05-07 11:25:16

A*
Verified Member

Thanks.

#6 30-05-07 17:08:04

Disky
Verified Member
Website

NLP is fantastic,, i would advise anyone interested in traiing of any kind to look at it. Kaizen is also another great technique, but i would say that as im an "advanced kaizen trainer" LOL

www.kaizen-training.co.uk thats who i did it with. Steve, Graham and Richard,, all good guys, but Richard is a fantastic trainer and a source of great inspirations.

Ray

#7 31-05-07 22:15:09

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Looks interesting...will look into it more when I'm not strung out on coffee from working too much!

Board footer