You are not logged in.

#1 18-05-07 16:30:02

jonks

M6 Toll road

I had to driver over to Cannock a few days ago to visit a customer, and part of my journey was the M6. I decided to take the M6 toll road to avoid the traffic that is usually quite bad near the Birmingham part of M6.

It cost me £4 to drive about 26 miles on the toll road, which I think is VERY steep. When I got to the toll booths near Cannock I could not see which booth to go to, I did not have coins, I only had a fiver so needed change, and the only thing that said which booths gave change was a tiny Symbol that could only really be understood when it was far to late to change lanes. I picked the wrong lane and had to change lanes at the very last moment. Not good.

If that isn't bad enough, having discovered which booth to go to, i decided to take the toll road on the way back. Big mistake! Four of the boothes were closed and it was very busy. I had to queue for 45 minutes to get through onto the toll road. I might as well have just taken the normal M6 and saved £4.

My opinion of toll roads... They are useless!

Rant over

18-05-07 16:30:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: M6 Toll road

#2 18-05-07 17:40:22

Kev D
Verified Member

I have only used the toll road once, but was informed of this little tip by someone who uses it all the time.

When on the M6 approaching the toll road, look at the matrix signs.  If the matrix signs are saying CONGESTION AHEAD then the toll road is probably going to be worth the price.

If however the matrix signs are saying M6 TOLL ROAD CLEAR, then this is used as a ploy to get you to use the toll road rather than the normal M6 which is usually incident free at the time.

How much truth there is in this little tip, I don't know as I have not had the opportunity to test it, but its certainly worth considering.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#3 18-05-07 17:41:44

jonks

It was saying M6 TOLL ROAD CLEAR when i used it

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 18-05-07 18:39:47

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I hae used the toll road a few times when I go to visit my friends in Portsmouth. Have to say that up to press ,I've never encounterd any probs. Not that I thoink toll roads are a good idea, I think that we pay enough in road tax and petrol tax.

kjs

#5 19-05-07 00:06:05

DEE

Hi Jonks  big_smile

If I had known that you were going to come to Cannock I would have warned you not to use the toll road!!
I personally have never used it but I know plenty of people who have and have never ever heard a good word about it. Never mind...we live and learn
By the way I live 8 miles from Cannock  big_smile big_smile big_smile

Dee

THEORY PASSED 1ST TIME...20 JULY
PASSED 14 DEC 10 MINORS!!!!!
IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCCESS COMES IN A CAN NOT A CANNOT!!!!
event.png

#6 25-05-07 09:09:38

AndyBerry

My SatNav frequently tries to send me that way when in the area. Finally (I think!) managed to program it to not go that way unless there is traffic on the normal M6...

Board footer