You are not logged in.

#1 27-03-07 16:22:10

sam19

diamond advanced driving test

i am thinking about doing this in a few months time not sure yet tho i am hopefully going to do it with my old adi still got to speak to him tho im sure he will do it but im not sure what he will think of me doing this test sad
can anyone give me any advice about this test i already have the application form. also do you know if there are lots of diamond examiners in dorset area.
sam 

27-03-07 16:22:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: diamond advanced driving test

#2 27-03-07 17:55:30

ExAdiNigel

Does it actualy matter what your old ADI thinks?  If you want to take your driving to the next level, all credit to you - Go for it.

Only thing I would suggest, is compare the cost of this against that of doing the IAM or RoSPA tests.  You may well find that, since the training is performed by volunteers, IAM or RoSPA could be cheaper.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 27-03-07 18:19:30

sam19

i know it dont matter what he thinks i just get nervous about contacting him thats what makes me worry although i know i shouldnt cos hes a lovely man and does a great job.
i want to do diamond cos i want to stick to dsa way cos i would in the future like to train to be adi and also i would prefer to do advanced driving with someone i know.
sam

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 03-04-07 21:58:48

Leprechaun

After speaking to someone on this site (who shall remain nameless wink) I'm also considering doing the diamond advanced test maybe over the summer.

I've already done IAM but that was 4 years ago and i feel my driving has become a bit sloppy since then so i want something new to focus on to concentrate my driving and make it crisp again. Like you sam i'd like to do it with my old ADI but am a bit nervous about contacting her - it's 6 years since i did my L test.

I think i'll send off for the info from the DIA before i do anything about contacting my / an ADI.

Is there anyone out there who's done the test and can give me any insight into what's involved before / during the test ??? How much training do you need ??? Is the training done in your car or the ADI's car ???

I'm sure i'll think of more i want to know as time goes on.

#5 04-04-07 07:12:24

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

The DIAmond tests are based on the DSA marking guidelines, so slightly different style to the IAM way of driving. If you pm "hector" on the site he should be able to help you with more information as he is a DIAmond examiner. Sure he won't mind!

#6 17-05-07 21:34:21

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sam!
I found the DIAmond Advanced Motorists (DAM) Test to be very good, I had a really nice chappy as an examiner and although I felt 'tested' I didn't feel nervous! You'll find the post-test debrief to be very beneficial too!

Good Luck!
Kev.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#7 19-05-07 10:29:15

Leprechaun

Well i've taken the very first step - i've sent off for an information / application pack smile

#8 23-05-07 21:09:39

Leprechaun

Well i got my information / application pack for the DIAmond test today. It all looks pretty good smile

One thing is bothering me - the eyesight test, it's the same standard as for an ADI. I actually asked my optician the other week could i see well enough to be an ADI and he ummed and ahhed for a while doing maths in his head and then said it would probably be a close call. Depending on lighting / conditions etc i may or may not be able to read a number plate at that distance. He said himself i'd probably have preferred a definite yes or no but he didn't feel he could give it to me sad

Oh well i think i'll find an ADI and see how i go - got one or two in mind  wink

#9 29-05-07 17:11:29

Leprechaun

Will an examiner refuse to take a car out to test if there are faults showing ???

My airbag light is showing for a part of each journey when the engine is cold, it has been doing it for ages and its been attached to a basic computer, i've been told it's not dangerous but that computer wasn't able to clear the memory. it's awkward for me to get to the main dealers to put it on the main computer to clear the memory and get rid of the fault light.

#10 09-06-07 08:16:24

sam19

update on this i havent done anything about it yet but i have spoken to my adi who said he cant do it hes under the impression i need to go away for a week ive told him i didnt think i did but basically im going to get as much info on it to give to him.
leprechaun- my car has airbag light on and engine management light also its only 796cc so i realy want to use a adis car.

#11 14-06-07 10:27:43

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

Hi Leprechaun

The optician probably didn't know the eyesight requirements for being an ADI. If you have glasses or corrective lenses which you can see the minimum distance through then there isn't a problem.

Kev.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 14-06-07 16:23:21

ExAdiNigel

update on this i havent done anything about it yet but i have spoken to my adi who said he cant do it hes under the impression i need to go away for a week ive told him i didnt think i did but basically im going to get as much info on it to give to him.
leprechaun- my car has airbag light on and engine management light also its only 796cc so i realy want to use a adis car.

Sam

I sounds as if you instructor doesn't know anything about the Diamond test.  Does he turn into an Ostrich at weekends?  Any instructor would have tio have his head buried in the sand to know nothing about the Diamond test! big_smile

Is he planning to give your training free of charge?  If he is planning to charge you, then he should be doing the research himself!

Nigel

#13 14-06-07 16:54:47

sam19

Nigel he dont seem to know anything i was researching about in the hope i could change his mind but i texted him telling him what i found out also said something else he texted back saying good luck for that but didnt mention anything todo with diamond. i think i have found someone else now just got to contact them hes a local adi trainer so i thought it would make sense to do diamond with him then when i train i know him my adi used to work for this man but he didnt recommend anyone to me i only found him cos of his website.

#14 15-06-07 06:11:15

ExAdiNigel

Great stuff.

Good luck with your training & test.

Nigel

#15 18-06-07 21:33:11

Leprechaun

i've arranged a lesson with an ADI  yikes big_smile It's not for a few weeks yet though  8-) 8-)

#16 20-06-07 08:47:48

sam19

ive booked my 1st lesson for 2nd july cant wait. i spoke to the instructor and he sounds realy nice so hopefully we will get on ok. just got to get used to another car now he has a yaris its diesel so i should be alright i had a lesson with my old adi a week ago for bayparking and i drove his new 207 and didnt have any problems with it.

#17 03-07-07 09:08:38

sam19

i had the lesson it was awful im back to square 1 now got to find another adi. he turned up didnt look very friendly but thought he will be ok so 1st thing he says is what cars urs he brought his auto with him didnt warn me luckily i had filled up that morning also later he had the cheek to ask why the engine managemant light was on, it werent as if i knew i was using my car! he started explaining about advanced driving then goes on to say hes never done diamond before ( he was recommended by dia) then he asks who i learnt with so i say and his attitude changes completely he hates my old adi (whos very popular and always recommended and been teaching 20 years) he watched me drive then said everything i have been taught is wrong and kept critising old adi and then goes i dont want to say too much ( a bit late he was unaware of the fact my family are friends with old adi who knows everything now) he kept trying to teach me a different type of pullpush steering saying when i turn i need both hands touching at the top of the wheel not how ive been taught by 2 previous instructors so at the end of lesson he says once youve sorted your steering give me a ring which i will definately not be doing my stepmum threw his card in the bin! i told my old adi and he told me to tell them to f*** off!  big_smile lol
also he checked my licence and goes wow you got a clean licence. ive only been driving just over 7 months and i have no intention on getting points.

#18 03-07-07 09:58:38

ExAdiNigel

Well he certainly didn't sound very professional.  Please phone the DIA and relate your problems to them. 

If you have now accepted that you will have to use a different instructor, why not have a look at the RoSPA or IAM test?  Will work out cheaper and you still get an advanced test pass.

Is there no-one on here who can help you?

Good Luck

Nigel

#19 03-07-07 10:18:31

sam19

no he werent i didnt mind using my car but he could of at least texted me to warn me as my car was a tip as i had kids in it in the morning. i will think about iam or rospa he told me iam is too easy!
i put a post up a while ago but didnt find anyone i will contact dia.

#20 03-07-07 17:03:44

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Sam,
He sounded awful not at all what you would or should expect, I really would complain.
Where abouts are you may I can help.

Giz

#21 03-07-07 18:38:51

sam19

he was i spoke to old adi again and he said hes a right t****r and he could of told me that i wish i had asked him first i kept on about him doing it but hes said hes to busy for it ive emailed a couple of schools. i need to find someone who likes my old adi and wont moan about him as hes a family friend i dont like anyone saying anything about him! also i looked at driving essential skills book and the steering they say in there is the same as ive been taught so dont see what the problem is or what his problem is! im in dorset

Board footer