You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 21-05-07 17:50:50

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Getting your website into DMOZ - the open directory project

I've just found that my main site has been accepted into the DMOZ search directory.

In case you don't know, dmoz is possibly the only search directory where humans actually look at the sites to make sure that they are included in the correct categories, and have useful content. This makes it quite prestigious (apparently).

Now the question is - is it worth it? And I have to admit - I'm not sure. Every SEO and hinternitty bod I've ever spoken to has suggested that it is the best thing to do, but as far as I can tell it has had almost no effect on my traffic (and certainly no effect on traffic that is of any use to me - or them I suspect).

What do you guys think?

21-05-07 17:50:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Getting your website into DMOZ - the open directory project

#2 21-05-07 20:30:28

hector
Verified Member
Website

Tim dont know what you are on about

but get me in! big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 21-05-07 20:49:38

jonks

DMOZ has lost most, if not all of its SEO value. It used to be essential, but I have not seen any significant benefit in months. Not since they had troubles and the site was made static with no new submissions for a few months.

They are accepting sites now, but most categorie seem to take 6 months to 2 years to get listed in. It is worth doing, just for the backlink, but don;t expect anything special from it.

If you do submit, follow their policies and guidelines to the letter. One spelling mistake can be the difference between getting listed and not getting listed. AND NEVER ASK THEM HOW LONG IT WILL BE BEFORE YOUR SITE IS LISTED.

Most people, including me, think that the ODP expiry date is long past. ODP means open directory project by the way, which is what DMOZ is.

When writing the description for your listing on DMOZ, remember that you are listing the website, not the business. The listing should describe the website and not be an advert for your business, it is unlikely that your site will be listed if you make it sound like any sort of advert.

Be careful to submit to the right category or you may wait years for your listing to appear.

#4 22-05-07 07:41:05

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Nigel - I would if I reckoned it would be worth it - but it isn't! However I'll get you a couple of much more useful backlinks in a better directory soon!

I had given up until the other night when I noticed something in my statcounter, and with a bit of digging I found I was in it!

Jonks - I think I agree, worth a quick submission if you get it right, then forget it for half a year!

Board footer