You are not logged in.

#1 26-01-05 12:43:57

Stephen7738

DSA one day two months later IAM

A couple of weeks ago i took out two young lads from my group to give them a demonstration drive,they were both 18yrs old,during my conversation i asked them if they had passed there IAM test they both said that they had,i also asked them when they passed there DSA test and it was only two months prior to passing IAM.
Well you could imagine what was going through my mind as to the actual standard that these lads must have been at,they were apparently on what is known as the genesis project that is running within my groups area,is this possible or doe's experience not count anymore. I am slowly loosing all faith in the examiner's standard,who by the way is retired and now running his own driving school,not that that's got anythingg to do with it.
I lookforward to IAM drivers views
                          Stephen

26-01-05 12:43:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: DSA one day two months later IAM

#2 26-01-05 13:21:14

Gaz_ADI

Hi Stephen,

I thought you had to have your licence for 3 months before you could do IAM training.

#3 26-01-05 14:34:19

Gizmotime
Administrator

Stephen you do have to have held a FULL licence for 3 months before you can do the Advanced Driving.

Ask them to show you there certificate I would  roll

#4 26-01-05 14:42:45

TDC
Verified Member

im not IAM can i still post please???
seriously tho its great that young drivers desire to be safer and so go this route.

Im so good its unbelievable

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 26-01-05 15:13:01

Gizmotime
Administrator

TDC wrote:

seriously tho its great that young drivers desire to be safer and so go this route.

Why not TDC i'll let you post here wink  I have to agree with you on this anyway, I just wish a lot more would do the same sad

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 26-01-05 15:18:12

crr003

TDC wrote:

It is a good thing to see, but sometimes people come into the IAM with the idea of only getting cheaper insurance.  Possibly they were part of the Max Power promotion too?

Back to the topic, I was pleasantly surprised to get an associate a couple of weeks ago who has only been driving for about four years - no sign of using the gears to slow down and would block change regularly which I don't see in "older" associates.

True, the experience is missing, but you're getting a bit of a "blank canvas" to work with.  The thing I don't like is the apparent logic they're taught at DSA level (please correct me if I'm wrong) that "it's a roundabout so it's second gear"; "it's a left turn so it's second gear"......

We have several interesting road features round here that demand you actually look and assess the hazard - first gear is required and this catches out many.  A good learning opportunity though for observation.

Roger

#7 26-01-05 17:47:59

TDC
Verified Member

"crr003  The thing I don't like is the apparent logic they're taught at DSA level (please correct me if I'm wrong) that "it's a roundabout so it's second gear"; "it's a left turn so it's second gear"......

We have several interesting road features round here that demand you actually look and assess the hazard - first gear is required and this catches out many.  A good learning opportunity though for observation.

Roger[/quote wrote:

ok i will correct you, above is a bit of a generalisation tho im sure its not necesarily meant that way. Certainly mine are trained to assess then decide speed and relative gear , some do a certain rnbt in 2nd others 3rd depends on what they decide each time , now whether the dsa and examniers like that is a different matter

#8 26-01-05 18:51:20

crr003

TDC wrote:

ok i will correct you, above is a bit of a generalisation tho im sure its not necesarily meant that way. Certainly mine are trained to assess then decide speed and relative gear , some do a certain rnbt in 2nd others 3rd depends on what they decide each time , now whether the dsa and examniers like that is a different matter

Thanks - I suppose it is a bit of a generalisation, just that the two associates I have had closest to passing the DSA test have started their drives by doing this.  They both seem more focussed on the roundabout give way line, rather than looking to see what's coming and if they can go straight on.

We're getting there though!  Another issue is making progress.  They seem to think IAM drivers potter around everywhere.   :cry:

Roger

#9 26-01-05 20:29:26

ExAdiNigel

crr003 wrote:

....The thing I don't like is the apparent logic they're taught at DSA level (please correct me if I'm wrong) that "it's a roundabout so it's second gear"; "it's a left turn so it's second gear"......
Roger

Not with my learners it's not!  I may suggest that second MAY be the appropriate gear for turning major to minor and first for emerging minor to major in the early days, but once they have a bit of experience under their belt they have to assess each junction on its merits.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 27-01-05 00:31:55

Stephen7738

I have checked and when they said a coupleof months it was in fact 6mths so would put them past the three month rule.

Of course it's nice to see some young blood coming into the fold,but again what about experience  firstly they should be mastering driving let alone Advanced driving,they are now in the final stages of there qualified observer training. After all think about this,if you were there ADI who instructed them for the DSA test and now you decide to go for your IAM and suddenly you get put with them and they are telling you how to become an Advanced driver,hopefully this would never arise, could you see yourself taking them seriously. I beleive that like yourselfs as ADI's you need to have a minimum time/experience at driving before this should happen or am i just old fashioned.
Stephen

#11 27-01-05 00:32:04

Lynne
Verified Member

crr003 wrote:

The thing I don't like is the apparent logic they're taught at DSA level (please correct me if I'm wrong) that "it's a roundabout so it's second gear"; "it's a left turn so it's second gear"......

Roger

Hi Roger,

In a nutshell, I teach the same as Nigel.  Lots of majors > minors my way too  that actually involve 1st gear on approach as you can see diddly squat into side road until your in it, only to be met by a parked vehicle just inside the junction and a 'meeting traffic' situation before you've even fully turned in!!

Lynne

#12 27-01-05 08:27:42

TDC
Verified Member

"crr003We're getting there though!  Another issue is making progress.  They seem to think IAM drivers potter around everywhere.   :cry:

Roger[/quote wrote:

isnt it the opposite? though IAM trained to go as fast as is legal and safe or was that a sarcastic comment above?

ok why isnt my quote thing working properly  is it me???

#13 27-01-05 12:14:23

Gizmotime
Administrator

TDC wrote:
"crr003We're getting there though!  Another issue is making progress.  They seem to think IAM drivers potter around everywhere.   :cry:

Roger[/quote wrote:

isnt it the opposite? though IAM trained to go as fast as is legal and safe or was that a sarcastic comment above?

ok why isnt my quote thing working properly  is it me???

I think it may have been a tongue in cheek remark,many people belive that IAM drivers potter around everywhere wink

TDC how many times have I got to show you how to do the quote lol

#14 27-01-05 17:49:51

crr003

TDC wrote:

Roger[/quote wrote:

No, it wasn't sarcastic - both these associates were happy to do 40 in a 60 for no good reason, I think they expected me to want them to go slowish.  I have to get them to make progress (yes IAM want to see progress).  This was on their early drives.  You don't have to go everywhere at 59 mph (in a 60), but you have to be able to show the examiner you're capable/confident to drive at the limits where safe to do so.

Roger

Board footer