You are not logged in.

#1 13-05-07 17:29:41

bay

Clutch

I am getting very worried as I cannot control the car with the clutch at junctions no matter how much I try.

My instructor is getting really annoyed and keeps telling me not to use the handbrake unless on a hill.

I have had some good feedback from some of you but unfortunately I don't think I can do it.

Maybe I should learn in an automatic.

Everything else is fine.

5th Test Passed 22/04/08

13-05-07 17:29:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Clutch

#2 13-05-07 17:54:47

kev elliott

Bay,
If this is the only problem you have with the clutch persevere, it is far better to pass in a manual as then you will have the option to drive either. Does your instructor tell you where you are going wrong?- he should be able to tell you how to improve.

Without having seen you drive it is impossible to tell what your problem maybe but some common faults that may lead to clutch control problems

Lifting your heel off the floor to much, ideally try to keep it on the floor, if you cannot keep it as close to the floor as possible.

Seat too close or too far away - adjust your seat so that you have a slight bend in your knee when you push the clutch to the floor.

You are trying to emerge from a junction that is flat so the car will not move even if you take your foot off the brake. Are you bringing the clutch up while you are still on the foot brake? The car with then stall or judder as the engine fights the brakes.

What you could try is slowing down a little earlier on the approach to the junction so that you are moving very slowly on the approach giving you more time to sort yourself out.

Has your instructor told you about open and closed junctions and the different approach to the difffernt types? If he has and you did not understand ask again, if he has not ask!

As a final thought have you done any manouvres yet? Like the Turn in the Road (TIR) if so you have been using clutch control on this exercise to control the speed of the car. Remember the very small movements you needed on that? About the thickness of a pound coin. 

Hope this helps - any more questions feel free to ask big_smile

#3 13-05-07 19:26:33

24fansal

Hey there,
It is one of those things that comes with practice im afraid. My clutch control took ages to improve and i dont think i mastered it fully ie: getting it right everytime until about two lessons before my test. I found that doing manouvres helped loads with my clutch control. I am regularly behind people who roll back at junctions and it is virtually flat and they are the ones who have passed  ;D and especially on hills, we have a really steep one near where i live (and i mean mega steep) and people are sometimes rolling back two feet yikes before they get themselves going. Try not to be too het up about it, and as Kev says it is soo much better to pass in a manual and at least when u do pass then u can change to automatic of ur still not comfortable with it. Keep at it, and it will improve.

#4 09-11-08 21:46:19

David1108

I know this is years ago now but I find it helpful to sit in any new car and play with the clutch.  Start the car but check the handbrak and of course the gears before you turn the engine on.  Now put the clutch right down and set the gas.  Now I like to be on a leave road first as then I can let the clutch come up and move the car a bit.  Now once that is done drive to a hill and do a hill start.  So you try to get to clutch control but it may move back, if it does very slowly let the clutch up by about the size of a 10p.  Now when you do get it right on the hill you should find the car will not move.  Tell it as I get use to a new clutch in about 5 mins.  With you learning it may take about 15 mins.  Give it a go.

#5 10-11-08 21:33:46

FRANKS
Verified Member

get your instructor to do clutch control exercise with you,

alternatively, change your instructor, if he/shes getting annoyed with you, you will uncomfortable and will make slow progress. Your instructor should be giving you encouragement and the help you need

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 10-11-08 21:41:27

adi
Verified Member
Website

« on: May 13, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »

?

She has probably passed and got herself a years solo experience by now!

#7 27-01-09 10:10:01

walsh
Verified Member

But the thread could help someone else.

Board footer