You are not logged in.

#1 07-05-07 00:01:28

dog
Verified Member

Aquaplaning

Ok since I've just had my first proper experience of aquaplaning I thought I'd come and ask what the best thing to do is if it happens to you.

We were coming down a slight downhill gradient towards a roundabout, about 10pm. It was pretty quiet and had been raining for a while, so we slowed down quite a bit (to about 20 or 25mph) to take the roundabout. Approached in the right hand lane and came on to the roundabout, started steering right but no response from the car, so got it to full lock and still no response so full on the brakes. Unfortunately we didn't stop in time and although the car did manage to turn a bit to the right, we slammed into the pavement with quite a bit of force, somehow managed to not mount the kerb and go straight into a stone lamp post, and bounced back off into the road. Obviously now we had lost pretty much all of the speed and the wheels got traction again so the car swung straight back into the road, across both lanes of the roundabout but he managed to get it to left full lock and correct it nicely and pull over in a bus stop. We got out just to breate and stuff, and to check if there was any damage, of which we could see none. A couple of minutes later we got back in to see if we could go anywhere but all we heard was a grinding noise and we pulled back over and saw that the front left wheel was quite severly pushed back into the rear mud guard and wheel housing, the axle had been crippled.

07-05-07 00:01:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Aquaplaning

#2 07-05-07 07:10:23

kev elliott

Bad news dog, hope you are both ok.

I suspect what happened was not aqauplaning but a skid due due the oil and rubber being lifted by th rain - this can make roads as slippery as ice. In wet contions after a dry spell like we have just had this can be common, the other time you can have problems is in very hot wether if the tarmac begins to melt.

What to do about it? - Give yourself time on the approach to hazards by preparing for them earlier and reducing speed more. How was the driver reducing speed - sounds like he might have been braking. If you steer and you lose grip it is pointless putting more sterring on as it will have no effect - steer in the direction of the skid until you regain grip then change direction. If the car has abs braking is ok, if no abs cadance braking required - rapid apply/release/apply brakes as quickly as you can.

what I would suggest is that when you pass that you book yourself into the Devon Driver Centre run by Devon County Council in Exeter for a session on the skid pan. I know of at least one ADI in PLymouth how does this as part of the Pass Plus  course he runs. PM me if you want details.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-05-07 09:23:52

dog
Verified Member

The car did have ABS (I say did, because it's now written off) but we only got a second or so of braking before we hit the pavement so it was pretty useless.

Another funny thing is that while we were pulled over waiting for his dad to come and pick us up, another car went past us (not fast, probably doing 30 or so) and as he started to steer the same thing happened to him, no response and the car carried on forward so he hit the brakes and as soon as his tyres got grip again the car shot over the center divider, into the oncoming lane and then came back over to rest on the divider (that's what, 270 degree spin?). We ran over to check if he and his passenger were ok, which lucikly they were, and to help them push the car off the road.

Two of the same type of accident in the same place in the space of 10 minutes.

PS. Kev it was at the Milehouse roundabout, we had just come from Alma Road direction and were going to take 3rd exit onto Segrave Road. We hit the pavement directly in front of us, the one outside the job centre, and then pulled up at the bus stop just at the beginning of the Wolsely Road exit. Here:

crashvk1.jpg

#4 07-05-07 12:19:06

kev elliott

That is close  to the bus depot - perhaps a deseil spill -thanks for pin pointing it dog As i am about to go that way now

#5 07-05-07 13:34:04

dog
Verified Member

Yeah just next to Milehouse petrol station.

#6 08-05-07 08:20:38

AndyBerry

As someone mentioned above, the amount of time we've had no rain for so far this year, the roads are extremely greasy after a tiny amount of rain. All the oil/diesel that get's deposited on the road along with bits of rubber and sorts really make for dangerous situations!

Glad your all OK

Andy

#7 08-05-07 18:45:56

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I'd say, get off the gas and turn the wheel towards where you want to go.  Hitting the braks and steering full lock is just asking for trouble.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Board footer