You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-05-07 16:31:36

Andi

Pink Licence.....is it Good practice or bad business?

Your thoughts on the Pink Licence please Guys and gals?

Is it a good or a bad idea?

Abused by the Trainees or the training companys? or niether??

What do you think......Help or Hinderence....Did it help you at all??

What are your thoughts please?

1.gif

06-05-07 16:31:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pink Licence.....is it Good practice or bad business?

#2 06-05-07 16:35:28

Janey1
Verified Member

Hi Andi

Gosh - wish I went on the Pink - would have helped me loads - I still feel like I'm lost - even after over a year!  Think it's a great tool - wished I had it with my training school!!

By the way - how-ya-doin'-Andi - haven't seen you around for a while!!

Take care

Janey

#3 06-05-07 16:54:46

DampDog
Verified Member

I'm not a fan of the pink licence...

I think white with a hint of peach, or maybe pale blue with a shade of summer apples..... I'll have to have a run down to B&Q and have a look at the summer colours that are in vogue this year...:D big_smile :evil:

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 06-05-07 17:11:15

driver69

When I started my training I intended to do so without it but my trainer suggested I could benefit from it.  I have found it to be a huge help in getting around being tongue tied and generaly giving me more confidence.  I really beleive it will make my next attempt at part 3 much better than the first and I am learning a lot about teaching pupils that does not necesarily relate to part 3.

Maybe some people are natural ADIs who don`t need it but for people like me it is a great help.  I can see how the current system is/can be abused though, so maybe it should be tightend up.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 06-05-07 17:35:07

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

What do you think......Help or Hinderence....Did it help you at all??

What are your thoughts please?

Well it helped me - but 4 years on I wonder how much it helped the paying pupils..!  I cringe when I think of some of the lessons I did on a pink.  The BIG question is - how many pinkies tell their pupils they're not fully qualified?  I believe there are pupils out there who are simply not getting value for money lessons.  When I was on a franchise - on a pink licence - I inherited pupils from a pinkie who failed 3rd attempt.  For one or two of them I was their 3rd unqualified instructor.  Could they have spent less?  Would they now be better drivers?  Would you want your own kids trained by an unqualified instructor?

#6 06-05-07 18:07:52

gemgems
Verified Member

I think it has really helped me. It has given me loads more confidence. I do think that the big companies take advantage though. I took a pupil out last week, she has had a 2 hour lesson every week since September with a big company, her instructor is on a trainee licence, and i was disgusted the way she has been taught. Her mirror checks were none, she was coasting all the time, not slowing down soon enough coming to hazards and many more errors. I have certainly got my work cut out with her. Luckily she is quite a fast learner and after putting most of the things right last week this week she did a lot better. Still lots to do with her though. I think that most of us on pink are are pretty keen on with the pupils because we need to be for the part 3. I always tell them I'm on a trainee and none of them seem to mind

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-05-07 18:12:04

Changing Directions
Verified Member
Website

I think it has really helped me. It has given me loads more confidence. I do think that the big companies take advantage though. I took a pupil out last week, she has had a 2 hour lesson every week since September with a big company, her instructor is on a trainee licence, and i was disgusted the way she has been taught. Her mirror checks were none, she was coasting all the time, not slowing down soon enough coming to hazards and many more errors. I have certainly got my work cut out with her. Luckily she is quite a fast learner and after putting most of the things right last week this week she did a lot better. Still lots to do with her though. I think that most of us on pink are are pretty keen on with the pupils because we need to be for the part 3. I always tell them I'm on a trainee and none of them seem to mind

Not always the faultof the instructor gemgems, if the pupils has lots of lessons and still has basic faults made you should be thinking why have you got them now and not the big company there were with.

ADI Part 1 Passed 11/09/06
ADI Part 2 Passed 30/1/07

#8 06-05-07 18:19:33

gemgems
Verified Member

She came to me cause her mum was getting fed up of paying £40 a week and all she was doing was driving round for 2 hours chatting to her instructor. She is also 4 months pregnant and he told her she can't drive after she is 6 months pregnant. i just think he could't be bothered, cause like I said she drove tons better this week after me putting her right.

#9 06-05-07 18:23:10

Changing Directions
Verified Member
Website

big_smile     :pdibadge:  8-)

Hi folks not been psting for a while, to busy making great drivers out of a bunch of novices.
Been on a pink for a month now and can't think why I was so nervous.  smile

Yes I would agree going on a pink is the best way to the experience of instructing real pupils, I am with a small 3 car school with plenty of veriety in the range of pupils.

No I would not say it was bad for business, my trainer is making more money and working less to do it.

I heard stories of what the SE could and would do on a part 3, now that I have experienced real pupils thinking 10 feet is enough clearence to pull out in front of artics doing 40 and not being able to tell the difference between an open or closed junction (even after going through the same one a few times). neither will it shock me if the SE does indeed go right at a roundabout, and yes I did realise I should have instructed her, at the roundabout ahead follow the road to the right, 3 exit.

30 pupils 5 on test 2 passes not bad for the first month.

possible with a trainer ?
invaluable lessons for me?

ADI Part 1 Passed 11/09/06
ADI Part 2 Passed 30/1/07

#10 06-05-07 18:24:04

DampDog
Verified Member

I thought the whole idea of the pink licence was vehicle to allow PDI's to improve their skills, so the question isn't is the pink licence scheme a gravy train for the big guys, but will being on a pink improve your skills?

How the scheme is manipulated is really out of your hands. I'd guess what counts is the training back up that supports the pink to help you build on the "real pup" experience.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#11 06-05-07 18:25:02

Brad Pitstop
Verified Member

Stop the pink bashing!!! I'm on pink and have had pupils come from qualified ADI's who have been poorly trained shouted at and have definitely not been given value for money. There's good and bad on pink and green. Share da love man x

#12 06-05-07 18:44:10

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Time to play devils advocate!

It is my belief that the Pink Licence should become part of the structured path towards full ADI status. It can be an essential pathway to reaching the coveted ADI status. Let us not forget that there are some very good PDI's out there doing a very good job.

In my experience the Part 3 qualification bore little resemblance to a 'real life' situation and is dependant upon the PDI performing to an artificial time scale in an artificial environment. It does not accurately prepare the PDI to teach a potential driver, however it does demonstrate that the PDI has an effective grasp of the knowledge required to be taught.

I would agree that fault analysis and remedial action form the cornerstone of our profession but I would ask a question... is everyone effectively taught to teach? Surely this could be better linked into the provision of the Pink Licence.

#13 06-05-07 18:44:51

evan

Stop the pink bashing!!! I'm on pink and have had pupils come from qualified ADI's who have been poorly trained shouted at and have definitely not been given value for money. There's good and bad on pink and green. Share da love man x

How very true. I just see it as two parallel paths to get to the same objective. Certainly people who have been on a pink have got the edge when it comes to experience because they have been used to teaching real pupils. If you look around the boards you will see a few posts from New ADI's who have not been on a pink, but are still doubtful and nervous. To be honest, no one starts off brilliant in this job, you do have to learn as you go along just how it is I'm afraid. Ev

#14 06-05-07 18:55:24

driver69

I would agree that fault analysis and remedial action form the cornerstone of our profession but I would ask a question... is everyone effectively taught to teach?

I get the impression a lot of PDIs are being taught just how to pass Part 3, with no clue as how to teach real pupils, just like some learners are taught how to pass the L test and not how to be safe drivers.

#15 06-05-07 19:11:18

alt
Verified Member

wow i love my pink,best thing since sliced bread (nearlly). its been a fantastic boost to my confidence. scared the hell out of me to start with yikes, but the help that it gives with the core comps is invalid. i think that the best way to learn is on the job, with real pups.its not about the money, that will come later i hope. ive got 6 pups n its about the valuable practice.

#16 06-05-07 19:13:44

driver69

but the help that it gives with the core comps is invalid

I assume that should read invaluable  big_smile

#17 06-05-07 19:29:04

alt
Verified Member

thanks driver67, yes invaluable. :-[ ;D ;D

#18 06-05-07 20:11:43

kev elliott

From the point of view of somebody who went without a pink license I have not found that it has been a particular problem for me. However, as with all learning different people learn in different ways - it suited me not use a trainee license for others it may be the best route for them. Whichever route is taken it seems that the role of the ADI trainer is crucial - Poor training here and no matter how many hours you gain on a pink license will not correct that. Just to clarify for me what do you use the pink license for? My thoughts ran along the folowing lines -

Is it to gain knowledge of how to correct faults? - the trainer and you should be able to do this more effectively as the pupil cannot be expected to repeat the fault so that you can refine your technique

Is it to practice lesson delivery? - What feedback do you get to indicate if what you are doing is effective? The pupil would not know and you might think that it was good but miss an important aspect.

Is it to be more confident in your approach? - I think this maybe the real benifit from the pink license  - you know what you need to do, you can deliver a lesson effectively and the confidence part is what you need.

Financial - Possibly the worst reason to use one but the one that has the most effect on the decision of wether or not to use one, perhaps due to the fact that this is the only way that an individual could afford the process.

I am not "pink bashing " by the way just interested as to what the benifits are to the PDI.     

#19 08-05-07 12:16:46

tom67
Verified Member

I used a pink for my training, and that is exactly what it should be used for, I was open and honest with my pupils from day 1, some even helped me out, because it wasn't my main income I could afford to return the favour by giving them extra half hours practising mans, I do feel it is abused by the big sweaty masters as many of the instructors are pinkie people, I found that quite a few come from the destructor college in a last ditch attempt to get the green, if they are not successful then it is up to us to try and rectify the situation...time and time again I had to go back to controls lesson and pupil said...wow, I thought I knew quite a bit, but now I know quite a little....this was not in-depth stuff just how the clutch works, how the handbrake works, really shocking that pdi's aren't pushed more into explaining the basics.
I would feel ripped off big stylee if I had a PDI for 6 months who went on to fail Part3 and then an ADI explains basics and it makes sense all of a sudden, if I had been paying £22 per hour for only half the job I would be on to Citizens Advice or at least the small claims court, maybe PDI's should be more advertised for what they are 'TRAINEES' it is NOT a job until you get the Green, so don't treat is as such, use it for TRAINING and nothing else. smile

#20 09-05-07 08:25:21

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

i agree with lots said already
:pdibadge: has def given me confidence and belief in myself & i agree it should be part of the training en route to  :adibadge:
its a shame that its such a high extra cost for some & then they have to work rather than learn to cover costs.
im really lucky ive found a very supportative sponsor & im confident that what im learning while on pink whill help me achieve my 'Green' goal.

#21 09-05-07 11:00:56

Target
Verified Member
Website

The pink licence is there to allow trainees to gain valuable help in their route to becoming an Adi.

So in answer to that question its purpose will help. Does not mean anyone will have any better chance of passing part 3 thou, but it will help.

The problem is thou. We are left with many loop holes. We are also left with trainees who are left at the hands of the general public with no guidance or help from their sponsoring Adi and until this option of just doing a mere 40 hours in car then your out there is removed it will always be a licence to print money.

Not interested in whos good or bad its not an issue. Its about making this industry a profession that people can turn to and look upto as something that is specialised, not something someone car pass a couple simple tests and charge £25 per hour for 6 months and do what they like.

Im sure the majority are keen to pass the grade, but we already thou by reading some of the others threads that driving schools are not playing the game and are just looking for fodder.

How many are just along for the ride and a fast buck from the 40k Pdis there are rumoured to be training in the system.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Board footer