You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-01-07 20:18:12

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

If you think CPD is bad. See what they are planning for PCV and LGV drivers.

I was asked today by a transport manager I sometimes work for about extra training for his drivers.  I said I'd have a look at what is available and come back to him.   I looked on the DSA's web site and came accross the plans for the CPC for Drivers. 
Jus have a look at what every Bus and Lorry driver in the country is going to have to do every 5 years if they want to work as a proffessional driver.

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Buses.asp?cat=432

Any of us who work as ADIs and also have LGV or PCV licences.  It may well be an area which is worth looking at for the future. 

Is there anyone on this site doing, fleet training for LGVs?

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

10-01-07 20:18:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: If you think CPD is bad. See what they are planning for PCV and LGV drivers.

#2 10-01-07 20:20:51

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Re: If you think CPD is bad. See what they are planning for PCV and LGV drivers.

Come drive i was told psc driver were going to have to do extra training every year but they might have got it wrong. Not a bad idea though is it many peoples lives depend on them.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#3 10-01-07 20:21:25

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Sorry should have been psv lol

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 10-01-07 20:47:45

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Sorry should have been psv lol

They think it's a good idea to to call it PCV these days.  HGVs are now LGVs and my HGV licence is now C+E.

I've got a CPC in freight transport, which I attained in 1990.  I don't know wether this will count for anything in the future.  I think that goes for my 25 years experience driving HGVs.

If they think there is a shortage of HGV drivers at the moment. This is going to cause chaos.  There are a lot of not very bright truck and bus drivers around.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#5 10-01-07 21:18:53

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

They always go and change things dont they.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 05-05-07 16:11:03

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

comedrivewithme wrote:

Any of us who work as ADIs and also have LGV or PCV licences.  It may well be an area which is worth looking at for the future. 

Is there anyone on this site doing, fleet training for LGVs?

I'm not an ADI but I am in the process of gaining entry onto the Register of LGV Instructors. I thought the introduction of the Driver CPC's would bring about a huge demand for instructors, but as yet, I'm to find a driving school who is taking on LGV Instructors.  neutral

If anyone knows of any LGV Instructors positions in the Heathrow / North Surrey area, I'd like to hear from you...  wink

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

#7 07-05-07 22:25:24

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Regarding the Driver CPC.  There ought to be a demand in the future for trainers, but I think it may be difficult for individual trainers/instructors to be part of it, without working for a larger organisation. 

I have been to several seminars regarding the Driver CPC, as the company I work for are interested in becoming an accredited centre for CPC.  The costs are expensive, with centre accreditation costing £1500 for 5 years and each approved course costing £250 per registered course per annum.  The syllabus is very flexible and does not just need to be driver development training, but can be any training that the driver would need to do their work, i.e. manual handling, tachograph, first aid etc.

Our company employ about 100 professional drivers of both LGV & PCV and we are certainly looking looking to do CPC training for our own drivers, also we are looking to offer it to external operators.  I know of a few other operators who like us have their own internal training departments, that are thinking of doing the same.  This is probably an area where more trainers will be needed.

The basis of the Driver CPC for existing LGV/PCV licence holders, is that the drivers have to attend the training, they do not have to pass any compulsory tests or exams.  This requires that the driver attends 35 hours of accredited training every 5 years.  It can be in one block or split into sessions with a minimum of 7 hours in length, i.e. 1 day per year.

Regarding the CPC for learner LGV/PCV drivers.  It would appear that practical on road driver training for test will remain similar to what is required at present.  It's the theory, discussion/demonstration and case study parts which will need the extra training.  So thats probably the area that will need more trainers.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

Board footer