You are not logged in.

#1 29-03-04 14:57:27

Anderson47

Thinking of becoming a driving instructor

Hi - wonder if anyone can help/advise me ?

Im seriously considering training to become a driving instructor (after 8 years of secondary school teaching Ive decided enough is enough !).

Is the most common method to train with one of the big organisations (LDC, BSM etc), then take a franchise with them at the end of the training period ?

Or do people go straight into setting up their own driving schools ?- from the info Ive had so far it seems a standard franchise cost (including car) is around £160 per week.

The main reason for thinking about this career change is more flexible working hours (have young daughter), and want to work as my own 'boss' - how have you found this career in general ?

29-03-04 14:57:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Thinking of becoming a driving instructor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-03-04 15:59:14

Liesa

Hi and welcome to the site!

Anderson47 wrote

Is the most common method to train with one of the big organisations (LDC, BSM etc), then take a franchise with them at the end of the training period ?

A large majority of potential instructors do their training this way, but there are independant trainers out there as well.

If you train with one of these organisations, it doesn't mean that you have to take up a franchise with them once qualified.

Are you planning on taking out a trainee licence?

Anderson47 wrote

Or do people go straight into setting up their own driving schools ?- from the info Ive had so far it seems a standard franchise cost (including car) is around £160 per week.

I do know quite a few ADIs that, decided to go independant straight after qualifying. What you've got to remember is, it takes time to build things up. If you work on a franchise your work load should build up faster, as the company you'll be franchised to, will already be well established.

Franchise fees vary greatly from one school to another, I know of one school that only charges £55 per week, but you could pay anything upto  £300 plus per week.

I have to say I've found this the most rewarding thing I've ever done, and no two days are the same!

To a certain extent you can pick and choose your hours, but be prepared to be flexible as well.

#3 29-03-04 17:50:46

Anderson47

At the moment Im thinking of going with a local trainer, not one of the large training organisations because the idea of the 'hard sell' tactics Ive heard that some use puts me off. Plus the local company charge as you train, rather than for the course amount 'up front'.

From what Ive found out so far it can sometimes be problematic taking out a trainee licence - is this the case ? What advantages/disadvantages are there for doing this (other than the obvious benefit of getting on the job experience).

What are the likely hours of work per week ? Some replies Ive had so far are quoting average earnings based on 40 hours - this seems a little optimistic as there must be a time gap between lessons to travel to each address surely ?

At the moment I am thinking of training & still working as a teacher. Then when (hopefully) qualified, set up my own school & combine this with occassional days of supply teaching while the customer base grows. Is this a viable option when just qualified ?

#4 29-03-04 19:19:12

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Using a local trainer can be excellent and it should be easier for you to check out what you are getting for your money.

Are they ORDIT registered?

Can they give you names of several recent passes for you to contact?

Do they have the capacity to do the training when you need it?

Have an assessment lesson, make sure you can learn from these people!

As for the viability of doing some lessons and some supply teaching, well yes it can work in the short term. But you will still need to have an effective marketing plan if you are to succeed at any level.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

#5 29-03-04 19:29:13

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Firstly, it would be helpful if you could tell us what area you live in as somebody local to you can probably give you a better idea of market forces and lesson rates in your area. These differ quite a lot throughout the uk.

Your idea of commencing your own business and combining this with some supply teaching while you build things up, sounds an excellent one. Anyone in the position of being able to continue their current work on a part-time basis whilst building up a full diary should take advantage of this as it can take the pressure off a little.

Your teaching background should give you a firm foundation on which to build and it maybe that you will not need a trainee licence. If you are able to qualify without one then it can be so much quicker (and cheaper). It is after all a licence to give you experience of teaching - something you already have - although admitedly you now have to learn to teach in a moving classroom where things can change very quickly.

I have trained a few ex-teachers to become ADIs and all have qualified without the need of a trainee licence. My advice would be to worry about that when the time comes and you are able to assess your ability following your training, discuss things with your trainer, and then (and only then) decide if this course of action suits you as an individual.

Good luck whatever you decide. I look forward to following your progress through this forum. Please continue to post any questions you may have.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#6 29-03-04 20:26:50

Anderson47

My location is just south of Birmingham - local areas include Redditch, Bromsgrove, Evesham, Warwick. Any idea of fees & market forces in this area ?

Am still trying to find a general idea of what the average working hours are per week ? Im going to have to take a wage cut if I decide to go ahead with this career change idea, so at present I am considering all aspects very carefully. What Im hoping would be the main advantages are more flexibility in terms of working hours, and more job satisfaction (the education system is soul-destroying at times now !).

#7 29-03-04 21:33:28

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

If you want to make plenty of money, you need to be doing at least 35 lessons a week which will be 7 lessons each day in a 5 day week. Assuming you allow 15 mins between lessons and 1 hour lunch you can leave home 8.45 am and return for tea at about 6.30 pm.

In my local area the work seems to be seasonal. During the winter i seem to average about 20-25 lessons a week, then spring comes along and the 'light' evenings and i can end up doing 40+ lessons a week which involve leaving the house at 8.30am and getting home after 9pm.

You can reduce this by selling 45 or 50 minute lessons but i prefer to do the full hour.

At the end of the day all the instructors who use this forum will differ in the hours we prefer to work, the income we can make depending on local conditions (pupil population, instructor saturation?), how much we spend on our businesses/franchises outgoings. The market can vary from town to town.

#8 29-03-04 21:42:21

bigred
Verified Member
Website

You may want to consider doing 1.5 or 2 hour lessons as you end up with less travelling time between lessons.

But be warned - if a pupil misses a 2 hour lesson it can be more painful on your own wallet.

Lot's of flexibility in this job, but no holiday pay or pension!

Regards,

#9 30-03-04 07:16:19

Jocelyn
Verified Member
Website

Hi Anderson

I was a secondary school teacher for 21 years before I decided enough was enough!  I trained whilst teaching part time for 2 years I didn't go onto a trainee licence and waited until I had passed Part 3 before totally giving up my teaching job.........I had discovered how hard Part 3 is by then and didn't want to end up jobless if I failed!  I passed on the 2nd attempt.

How does it compare to teaching???  Well I don't earn nearly as much (I was acting as Head of Dept in a large school by the time I left),  I don't get the long paid school holidays..........but I would never go back.

I love being my own boss, choosing when I work and who I teach I also thought I could do some supply work if needed, but although my phone rings quite often I never take them up on it!  I do work marking GCSE exam papers which gives a little boost to earnings.

The best thing of all is that evenings are my own!!!!!  I can go out and do things instead of marking etc until I go to bed!

Good luck....there is life outside of the classroom!

Jocelyn

#10 03-04-04 14:24:39

tonyb

Adi

You have a PM

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 03-04-04 22:50:57

ordit pete

Anderson47 wrote:

Hi - wonder if anyone can help/advise me ?

Im seriously considering training to become a driving instructor (after 8 years of secondary school teaching Ive decided enough is enough !).

The main reason for thinking about this career change is more flexible working hours (have young daughter), and want to work as my own 'boss' - how have you found this career in general ?

Make sure you pick an ORDIT approved company to train with, there are many companies advertising but only about 65 are on the ORDIT register, the size of the Company has no bearing on the quality. Beware of flashy brochures and "double glazing" type sales interviews.You will be much better to go for a smaller caring ORDIT registered company. There is such a demand for instructors at the moment so don't get tied in to long term contracts once you have qualified. Don't put the "cart before the horse" ie don't worry about getting fixed up with a job at this stage, worry about where you train as you will be in great demand once qualified.

#12 17-04-04 17:55:51

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya
I have thought long and hard now about this and HAVE decided to take the plunge,and train to become a Driving Instructor, Anymore help and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Hides in corner now :oops:  :oops:

Thankyou.
Regards
Giz :oops:

#13 17-04-04 17:59:11

Liesa

Hi Giz

Why do you need to hide in the corner?

I'm sure you'll make an excellent ADI.

And your experience of being an IAM observer, should hold you in good stead!

Good luck and keep us informed.

#14 17-04-04 18:30:53

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Giz,

Great choice!

We all hope you enjoy the course, any ideas who your trainers will be yet?

One things for sure, you're gonna love the job.

Regards,

#15 17-04-04 19:38:15

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Big Red

No I haven't got that far yet,I am at a loss as to how to find that out :oops: .
I am going to have a word with Approved Instructor when he gets back,unless anyone else can offer advice on steering me in the right direction.
This is such a big step for me to take,and I really don't want to rush into anything and make mistakes,If you know what I mean.
One thing is for sure though,whoever my Trainer's will be I will give them 250% faithfulness,if that's the right word.God I'm useless at explaining on here :oops:

Liesa Thanks very much for your kind words smile 

Giz.

#16 18-04-04 09:17:31

ordit pete

Gizmotime wrote:

Hiya
I have thought long and hard now about this and HAVE decided to take the plunge,and train to become a Driving Instructor, Anymore help and advice would be gratefully accepted.

Hides in corner now :oops:  :oops:

Thankyou.
Regards
Giz :oops:

Make sure you go to an ORDIT approved training company. There are many people who train/claim to train instructors. They vary from large nationwide companies to the "one man band" instructor. Unless they are ORDIT approved they have not been tested to train instructors. You won't have too many problems with the first and second exams given your IAM background but part 3 is the one that is difficult and more people fail than pass (30%) average pass rate. Give yourself the best possible chance and go with an ORDIT company, go on to the ORDIT website and check out companies in your area.
Avoid companies with flashy brochures and "double glazing" type presentations and don't be fooled by the name of the company, many companies call themselves ********** college or academy, they are  private companies with good marketing strategies.
Best of luck, if you want more help let me know. I have been training instructors for 14 years.

#17 18-04-04 14:01:52

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Giz

Just want to add my best wishes and wish you every success in your quest to become an ADI. 

You will find this section of the forum very useful and I look forward to reading posts about your progress as well as helping with posts relating to training issues.

I am delighted that someone with your attitude to driving has decided to take this step and will be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#18 18-04-04 14:12:07

Badger

""Hides in corner now""

No need for that !  Youre amongst friends here !

Ask whatever you want.  It is useful if questions are asked in the forum because it helps others.

The Private Message routine is OK for confidential unrelated and personal stuff but the forum is better !

Good luck and press on boldly.

Badger

#19 18-04-04 17:07:40

Gizmotime
Administrator

DSE

Thankyou for the compliment, All I can do is my best and that is what I will do, You will all be sick of listening to me after a while :oops:

Badger I know I'm among friends and I know the more questions that are asked the better,and will benefit more than myself.

I have come out of my corner now. smile

Thanks for your support.

Regards
Giz smile

Board footer