You are not logged in.

#1 22-01-05 15:21:28

simonjones

Passed my RoSPA test this morning.

When I passed my IAM test, all those years ago, there were gales. Literally. Dustbins and branches all over the roads.

Today, there was practically no wind at all. There was fog though. The test was nearly two hours long, including a thorough de-briefing. And, finally my examiner shook my hand and told me he was giving me a Gold.

Rather pleased at the minute.

22-01-05 15:21:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed my RoSPA test this morning.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 22-01-05 17:10:36

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Well done mate!

please tell us some about the test and what's expected - I hope to get round to this one in the near future

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#3 22-01-05 18:39:38

Lynne
Verified Member

Oh Simon WELL DONE!!!

I have just been passed to a 2nd observer for final check before I apply for my RoSPA test, however we can't get together before February due to work commitments we both have.

Would love to hear all about your test.

Congrats again (me jealous!!)    wink  tongue

Lynne

#4 22-01-05 18:53:11

Stephen7738

Well done,i bet there is only one comparison between the standard of the IAM and ROSPA and that will be system of car control now all you have to do is try and keep it up every three years,eh.
                   Stephen

#5 22-01-05 19:39:01

simonjones

Stephen, I might not even still be a member in three years. Would it be cowardly to leave by then, do you think? When I did the IAM one I studied Roadcraft and the System of Car Control very closely, and did again this time – although having said that, I did so off my own back. To me it made sense to read the ‘Police Driver’s Handbook’ if I was to be examined by a policeman. So, that’s basically the system I’ve been driving to for some years now.

Thank you for your “Well dones.”

This is the fifth driving test I have passed, and I still get nervous. I was appallingly bad when I scraped through my “L” test. The examiner said, “Well, you’ve passed. BUT, that doesn’t mean you’re any better driver now than you were five minutes ago!!” I was basically, your average moron teenage driver . . . things have improved . . . this morning I woke up, made coffee and opened the curtains, only to see ice all over my car. I went out early to get the car warmed up and the windows and lights clear of frost. My examiner lives just across the road from me, and he did see that I had made an effort, and that went down well for a start. As he approached, I switched my engine off (in order to further impress him with my pre-drive checks). He walked around the car, checked the tyres and said, “Right, get in, and get the engine going again, it’s cold!”

The route started off with ‘A’ roads, a dual carriageway, and then for the most part, country roads and villages. I was ‘invited’ to do a commentary, that went well and didn’t last long. After the initial dense fog, I still found myself driving a little too slowly. Mr Examiner asked if I would be going that slow ordinarily, to which I admitted that I wouldn’t. He politely told me, “Well don’t now then.”

As always, I found his squiggling away on his clipboard a little off-putting, but he was a nice man and it was all pretty informal. Didn’t get much in the way of reversing, not that that would have been a problem. When we got back to my car park, I asked if he wanted me to forward or reverse in, and he said, “Just the way you normally do,” and he paused, and then added, “Which I happen to know is reversing in!”

As far as my performance was concerned, my main weakness was not making enough progress. I ALMOST lost my Gold for that. Travelled forty-six miles, and all in all, it was comparable with my IAM test. The drive itself wasn’t particularly difficult – although having said that, there was enough to think about all the time.

The DIAmond test next . . . watch this space.

#6 15-02-05 19:37:59

simonjones

Passed my DIAmond Advanced this afternoon.

Anyone know anything about this BSM/RAC one? Is it worth doing?

#7 15-02-05 23:49:42

Lynne
Verified Member

Well done Simon.   Smug huh?   wink

Don't know anything about the BSM one but am sure I read something about it somewhere in one of the threads here....

Lynne

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 15-02-05 23:57:30

ExAdiNigel

simonjones wrote:

Passed my DIAmond Advanced this afternoon.

Anyone know anything about this BSM/RAC one? Is it worth doing?

What would you hope to get out of it?  If you have done the Diamon Advanced I would suggest that there is nothing to be gained by doing the BSM/RAC test.  Perhaps consider Cardington or Diamond Special next, if you want to keep with DSA syllabus.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer