You are not logged in.

#1 23-04-07 19:55:52

Mel

Not Sure Where to Post this....

Not sure if this is the right place, if not someone feel free to move it  wink

The ADI i took my DIAmond advanced with is currently snowed under with Learners to be able to take me out with the view of more training towards the DIAmond Special and keep my driving up to Part 2 standard, i havent yet applied because im lacking the years on my lisence so these years in between i want to do as much as i can, and now id like monthly lessons or more maybe with the DIAmond special in view and keeping my driving at part 2 standard......

Now i need to find an ADI, ive been looking on the internet but most are aimed of course to learners, so im wondering if anyone on here could help? pass a name on? Im in Bolton, but i work in Chorley so i could have an ADI from either area because of course id travel to them.....

Plus i would also like someone who could also help me along with looking towards the part 3......

Im currently finishing up with the IAM at the moment and want something else to move on too, so can anybody help???? Thanks all

23-04-07 19:55:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Not Sure Where to Post this....

#2 23-04-07 21:02:50

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Mel
Are you an ADI?
Only I thought the Diamond Special was, like the Cardington special, only available to ADIs.

#3 24-04-07 17:39:11

tim
Verified Member

Hi Mel

You will not be able to take your Cardington Test unless you are an ADI.

Consider the RoSPA test as an alternative. It is a graded test from Bronze to Gold through Silver. Cardington is about Silver grade. The sylabus is slightly different, but it is the best test in the UK you could take to maintain a high standard as you need to retake it every three years for it to be valid. Any RoADA ADI could teach you, and you could buy the " Roadcraft" handbook from any local bookshop.

Best of luck

Tim

#4 24-04-07 17:46:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

Any driver can do the diamond special (This was changed recently) You dont need to be an ADI.

Tim- Cardington silver grade! very controversial!

Mel if you want any help with training part 3 or otherwise pm - I cover up to Manchester if thats any help

Regards Nigel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#5 24-04-07 23:05:41

Carlos Fandango
Verified Member

From what I've been told, Cardington and Diamond Special are  thinking along the same sort of lines .

RoSPA ( Roadcraft ) is a bit of a different animal.

I've posted elsewhere about this and the very mixed message the two styles involve.

Did my fleet badge driving assessment with a Diamond Special Examiner and got one fault.

Have now had two training sessions with RoSPA and am finding it quite challenging, and enjoyable.

Makes me wonder if Diamond and Cardington are worth doing??

Are they not both uber L tests ??

I'm not wishing to diminish the achievements of those who have passed them as I realise that are by no means an easy thing to do just trying to establish in my own mind what advanced driving is  :?

#6 25-04-07 17:58:21

kev elliott

Carlos, as you said the test based on the DSA system of driving and those based on the RoadCraft sytem appear to be be different. However, the differences are really not that great. I am sure that all of you are familiar with the MSPSLADA routine which can be compared directly to the roadcraft system of car control IPSGA. Lots of letters there so a comparision using real words  ;D

DSA                                                                                                        Road Craft
Mirror               What is around you?                                                    Information (collect -Continues at all points)
Signal               Tell others what you are thinking                                   Information (give- reviewed at all points )
Position             Are you in the correct position if not adjust                               Position 
Speed               Are you at the correct speed                                                  Speed
                                   and gear                                                                  Gear
Look                   Final looks?
Assess                Is it still safe?
Decide                YEs or NO
Act                   Complete the manouvre /acccelerate                               Accelerate   

The main difference between the 2 system s is that the DSA version tends to be seqeuntial and methodical which is good for drivers of limited experience which need more structure to the procedures they use, where as the Roadcraft system has a much higher emphasis on the perceptual aspects of driving. This emphasis and the experience of the driver permits the second major difference in the 2 styles of driving which is simply the positioning on bends where the vehicle is positioned to give the best view of the road ahead,left hand bend towards the centre line (DSA middle of lane), Right hand bend towards the left hand side of the road. This is should always be surrendered to preserve safety in the case of oncoming vehicles, because of the better sight lines these are seen earlier in any case. 

So I would define advanced driving as ANY driving which provides the maximum safety for you and other road users that share the road with you. This definition takes into account the possibilty that as peoples experience change then the style of driving that is "best"  for them will also change.

My own point of view is that as drivers interested in road safety we should have an understanding of as many different styles of driving as possible together with thier strengths and weaknesses. Indeed I find that switching betweeen styles for different road conditions is sometimes the best option - if you are following a learner or a driver the is obvoiusly nervous the DSA system is better for that situation, but if you are driving in a situation which is fast moving and busy then the Roadcraft system has more scope for you to use your own experience.

Hope this helps   

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 26-04-07 06:08:03

ExAdiNigel

....Makes me wonder if Diamond and Cardington are worth doing??....

Depends really on where you want to take your driving.

If someone wants to stick to teaching learners then Diamond Special and Cardington (being based on the DSA syllabus) are probably a lot more useful than any test based on Roadcraft.

If someone wants to move into fleet training then IAM or RoSPA are probably more useful.

Horses for courses really!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 26-04-07 18:51:51

tim
Verified Member

Knowing how to execute all of them earns you loads...The customer will let you know one way or another...

#9 27-04-07 20:09:48

Carlos Fandango
Verified Member

I think I will eventually try and do all of them as I would like the best overview of driving that I can get.

Would like to work more in the fleet sector eventually but haven't had a check test yet and most fleet jobs seem to require a  grade 5 or above.

All in good time ( hopefully  wink )

Carlos

Board footer