You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#76 21-09-06 22:23:59

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Re: Mini

Maybe I'm strange, but I love the look of BMWs and the ethos behind their making, and I just don't understand why that appeals to so many pillocks, but like many cliches, it has a good chunk of truth in it. Then again, I must be strange, I think the new Landrover discovery is a thing of beauty!

21-09-06 22:23:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#77 22-09-06 09:33:28

Don Juan

They look really nice, but not sure how good they are as a training car?, they look cumbersome ....

#78 22-09-06 09:39:04

Don Juan

Me to .... the disco is a beauty i think!

1 series looks really nice, don't think i would buy one though!

#79 05-10-06 23:32:15

smdtr

29500 miles and needs brake pads, discs front and back.  The calipers are also being replaced apparently common fault.

#80 10-10-06 22:26:02

smdtr

Work done today to brakes/disc etc. £418.  I've never paid that for brakes in my life!

#81 23-11-06 15:52:59

smdtr

No more mini next week, sad to see it go but looking forward to the 207.

It's currently at 34k miles and feels like the replacement steering column is on it's way out, already!

#82 28-11-06 23:02:38

smdtr

You're not wrong there Dimmy.

I really enjoyed the year with the mini but glad it's gone.  I remember talking to an instructor a couple weeks into my honeymoon period with the mini and he'd changed to a Seat Ibiza.  He couldn't put the mini down enough, 13 months on I understand.

#83 08-12-06 20:57:15

smdtr

Leasing from Robinsons is straightforward, only trouble I had was the BMW garage wouldn't accept a credit card payment from them over the telephone.  I had to pay the bill and wait for a cheque from Robinsons, only took a few days though.  Good service.

I would think carefully about taking on a mini cooper.  I had a petrol 1.6 and now I've changed to 207 HDI diesel, halved my fuel costs.  All my pupils are loving the change from mini and it really didn't bring in the work I thought it would.

#84 12-12-06 16:26:31

MiniRob
Verified Member
Website

I leased my last MINI One for 2 yrs via BMW and had no problems.  When I went to change cars a few months ago, my BMW dealer told me that BMW Financial Sevrices would no longer do leases for driving schools.  I've bought my new MINI on finance, and based on the costs of the previous 2 yrs, there's hardly any difference between leasing, and buying + running costs.  You do however end up with some equity from buying, which you don't with leasing.
If your BMW dealer doesn't know its for a driving school then be careful, you might be getting into a lease that they could walk away from.
Rob

#85 12-12-06 18:03:41

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The beetle has awful blind spots to the front caused by huge winscreen pillars.  There are a few Minis in my area.  I would think that what you spend extra on your Mini, you save on advertising.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#86 13-12-06 16:47:29

pitstops
Verified Member

Just thought i'd add that anyone thinking of getting a NEW mini needs to hold on as He Man are yet to release the Duals for them!!! 

Pitstops driving'scool (",)

#87 31-01-07 00:10:25

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

I had some very bad news from Robinsons contract hire the other day at the moment they do not have mini ones on contract hire because of the change in models when they do they will only give 18 month contracts
and charge £125/wk the same price as the mini cooper. So bye bye minis next year and hello new renault clio super minis.
Regards Phil Jackson.

phil jackson
phillipjackson@adeptdrive.co.uk
tel 01462-636423
ADI's Wanted Stevenage,Letchworth,Hitchin,Baldock
N.Herts

#88 31-01-07 20:15:17

julian
Verified Member
Website

Hi phil,apparently they have stopped making the mini ones and as yet theres no diesel model in the new mini.
Regards julian

Part 1 - 24/03/06  (97/67) 1st time
Part 2 - 06/06/06  (2 minors) 1st time
Pink License - 05/03/07
Part 3 - 20/4/07 (5/4) 1st time
www.Lme2drive.co.uk

#89 03-02-07 19:11:35

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Scooter ,
             Have you found that you havn"t had to put much add ons to it , with it being a Cooper spec ?
I am considering upgrading but worried re cost i.e 14K +.

#90 04-02-07 12:43:08

keith williams
Verified Member

I sat in a mini for the first time the other day....

Hated it!!

Seats too low to the floor and just couldn't get my legs comfortable, also I thought my spine was going to shatter on the speed bumps. Very rattly as well.

I was really disappointed because I was looking forward to gettin in it, love the look of them.

#91 04-02-07 17:12:06

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but theres a vast range of adjustment on the seats... If I have mine fully lowered I can barely see over the wheel, fully up I bang my head! I actually think the Mini has one of the best range of seat adjustment, but it does take some fiddling to get the right position. The suspension is a little firm, but the handling and road holding makes up for it smile At the end of the day, it's horses for courses, but I absolutely love my Mini One, if only she was a little less thirsty...

Reindeer

#92 04-02-07 19:28:16

keith williams
Verified Member

I was sitting in the passenger seat on this occasion, to be honest I never checked if the height adjusts or not.

It's probably a completely different experience in the driver's seat but never got the chance to try it out.

Nice car, just wouldn't be for me!  smile

#93 17-04-07 13:58:46

scooter552
Verified Member
Website

Picked up my new mini cooper diesel.
Im in the process of having he mans put in so it hasnt been used for pupils yet.
It is an awesome car to drive so good i dont really want the pupils to drive ir lol.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#94 17-04-07 23:28:02

Lorna
Verified Member

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but theres a vast range of adjustment on the seats... If I have mine fully lowered I can barely see over the wheel, fully up I bang my head! I actually think the Mini has one of the best range of seat adjustment, but it does take some fiddling to get the right position. The suspension is a little firm, but the handling and road holding makes up for it smile At the end of the day, it's horses for courses, but I absolutely love my Mini One, if only she was a little less thirsty...

Totally agree with the above ..... the only reason I will be getting rid of mine and changing to the new clio is that my other half  who is also an instructor finds the leg room limited and cant get comfy (he currently uses the Corsa) .... he has very long legs!! We both want to have the same cars and have test driven loads of cars and so far we are loving the Clio.

ADI - Approved Driving Instructor

#95 18-04-07 07:03:50

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I wouldn't have either, Skoda Fabia VRS for me next time.... better than a BMW that took the mini name from british manufacturers from under our noises anyday!  AND made a fortune on land rover in the process!

Ho hum..... 130bhp diesel, quicker than a mini, more economical, more space AND cheaper to buy/lease! oh and made better too. to be honest!

Each to their own, when i get it, I can live with the smugness!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#96 18-04-07 18:10:12

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Got a Seat Ibiza FR for 4 hr test drive tomorrow , I feel the Mini will be going soon.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#97 19-04-07 20:23:12

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

better than a BMW that took the mini name from british manufacturers from under our noises anyday!  AND made a fortune on land rover in the process!

At least it's still built in the UK.  I dare say there a lot of Mini workers families who can afford driving lessons because of it.

Your skoda is doing the same for a nice Rushan family.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#98 19-04-07 21:29:47

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Czech!

This is a strange thing to say.  I have studied transport design (essentially car design) for 2 years, and funny thing is....

cars are not just giving jobs to a single country.....air con parts come from one place, designers come from another, most cars now provide a world wide stablity in the economy, not just where they are built.  Remeber you have the dealers etc....

Strange thing comes is when BMW did an awful thing to a british Marque, which HAD a british CULTURE! Not just the mini, but Land Rover, and MG, and Rover and finally MINI!  they brought the lot!

Land Rover is now US owned (Ford), Rover is Chinese now so is MG, but BMW kept mini, and have made a mockery of the name!  Sorry but I feel strongly about the Mini, I have ever since it came out.  From a design perspective the Mini was not meant to be a design for designs sake, but a practical solution to affordable motoring.....not exactly Mini's of today! 

It comes down to pretentiousness too!  I don't like this in cars, I like cars because they are what they are, the Skoda is fantastic because Skoda are passionate about customer service, reliablity and making PRACTICAL cars........ Mini are Minis now because they are a statment of who you are, NOT that you have a cool little practical car, just that you can AFFORD a Mini! sorry....... but don't like the things!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#99 19-04-07 22:35:11

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

Sorry I thought Skodas were VW are they not? Wether you like it or not the mini one is a very popular car
and is a nice car to drive and give lessons in how ever the cost of the new mini does not make it practical
for driving schools £14,500 will make a big dent in your profits.
Regards Phil Jackson. :evil:

phil jackson
phillipjackson@adeptdrive.co.uk
tel 01462-636423
ADI's Wanted Stevenage,Letchworth,Hitchin,Baldock
N.Herts

#100 19-04-07 22:42:34

evan

I don't own a mini, but I must admit most of the pupils I teach do like them. With regards to Skodas, it is not that long ago that they were held in the same contempt as Lada's with the same jokes doing the rounds about them both.
It is without a doubt the influence of VW that has changed the Skoda credentials, however there are still many out there that wince at the thought of owning a Skoda.
I guess its just a case that some cars have that bit of extra attraction with younger drivers, I think Mini's have and probably always will have a young persons car feel about them and make them one of the cars that youngsters would like to learn to drive in and eventually own. Ev

Board footer