You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-03-07 08:30:35

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Pass plus for check test?

Hi! I've got the dreaded letter through  :? :? I'm not sure if I will have a "suitable" pupil though and I really don't want to do a role play. I have 3 pupils to whom English is not their first language - therefore explanations do take longer and they sometimes have problems following route directions  yikes a couple who have concentration issues - they just will not stop talking  smile a 17 yr old lad who just grunts yep, yep although he does pick things up really quickly and is progressing nicely. I had thought I might take my Son out for a pass plus module (motorway driving) as he passed a couple of weeks ago "well done me!"  I am wondering though if this would be a good subject for a check test? I have a route in mind - M3 - M25 -M4 and back on the M25 to T/C although I will have to try it out. My main concern is that as it is a Mway I would not be able to pull  the pupil over. Failing this I could take mu Mum out for a lesson on mirrors as she passed 40 years ago and doesn't use the door mirrors - they didn't have them then! What do you guys think?
Alex

25-03-07 08:30:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pass plus for check test?

#2 25-03-07 09:38:11

standon11
Verified Member

can't give you any advice on this one kevin as iv'e only just qualified,but will read this one with interest as iv'e already thought about this for when mine does come up.if i haven't got a suitable pup at the time i like you don't fancy role play again, iv'e had enough of that game ,but my mum is rubbish with her mirrors & also approaches junctions,crossroads way to fast with poor obs aswell.she would be great to take out on a refresher lesson.i think it's a good idea however i'd like to hear the from those that have done a check test & there thoughts on it.

chris

#3 25-03-07 12:10:26

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

I've had my first check test a year ago, about 5 months after qualifying. Firstly, don't worry about it. They're not "out to get you" - your not going to get failed and kicked off the register or anything like that. I believe the check test shouldn't be seen as an "exam" - more an opportunity to get some guidance and confirmation that you're doing things ok. If the SE sees you've got this attitude, the battle's half won. From what I've seen on the forum the SEs seem to like action, not manouevres. Personally I would have thought that a long motorway trip isn't ideal. I like the idea of the non English speaking pupils. You've got the opportunity to choose a subject like meet/cross or roundabouts which are complex enough to fill a lesson and then demonstrate you're communication skills.

#4 25-03-07 12:28:52

kesdrive
Verified Member
Website

I tend to agree with learnwithrichard. Do NOT do a manouevre the SEADI will fall asleep in the back! Do not be afraid to alter things if lesson is not going to plan. Pup will probably act differently with someone in back. Personally I chose a roleplay Fleet check test last time and preferred it to taking a pup.

be careful out there

#5 25-03-07 17:05:31

kjs
Verified Member
Website

can't see a problem in doing pass plus on you ct, just so long has the pupil learns something.

kjs

#6 25-03-07 22:56:56

johnabacus
Verified Member
Website

I did a Mway lesson for one of my check tests. I had a service station on my route as a place to pull up if things were going wrong but any junction would do as long as there is somewhere safe to park when you leave the mway. A service station is also somewhere where you could cover some aspects of using them eg taking rest breaks/ filling up fuel etc.

#7 27-03-07 08:19:11

Carlo
Verified Member

Just had my first check test.  Wasn't as bad as I thought, actually very helpful  smile.

I did roundabouts as most pupils struggle with them and theres alot there to get your teeth into  smile.  Motorway lesson sounds great though.  Only thing is did i hear M25?  Watch out mate because if theres been an accident or road works you don't want to get stuck in traffic so have a back up plan!  sad

Good Luck with it, sure you'll breeze it!

"It's easy when you know how!"

#8 01-04-07 07:43:40

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

I had my first check test last week
It was useful but I should have changed the lesson plan 30 seconds into it as we struggled with the first T Junction we came to and I had planned planning awareness/anticipation. I should have pulled him over somewhere safe briefed about T Junctions then concentrated on that. Alex as it's your first CT the worst thing that can happen would be an Educational CT ( a freebee )which is what I had. Best advice I got is to get some training which is something I didn't do. I have about 9 months to sort this out.
Good luck with it and just enjoy it.
Si

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#9 01-04-07 08:16:04

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the replies guys smile I think I will probably go with the M way and my son, I spoke to my trainer and he thought it would be a good idea. I am quite lucky here as I have a choice of routes all within striking distance of M3/M25 and M4 just need to have a contingency plan in place in case of bad traffic on the day.

Sibeks, I read your post with interest, such a shame it didn't go to plan on the day though. I am going into this with the attitude that it will be another learning curve and if I come out of this with a 4 it will be a bonus  smile I didn't think I would get the chance of an E though as it will be a year since I passed P3?

Alex

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 02-04-07 09:53:52

Carlo
Verified Member

I didn't think I would get the chance of an E though as it will be a year since I passed P3?

It doesn't matter mate, it's still your first CT  smile.  I know people who had there first CT after 2yrs and got an E.  Just keep doing what you have been doing and all will be good!  smile

#11 02-04-07 10:10:39

Green Arrow
Verified Member

You can only be graded an 'E' within the first year as it is only your first year it can be an educational.

www.HNDdrivingschool.co.uk

Adi teaching in and around Salisbury wiltshire

#12 02-04-07 20:30:49

New Girl
Verified Member

What about if the DSA just haven't gotten around to doing your check test for 2 years?  Thats a bit unfair isn't it?

#13 18-04-07 08:37:28

philipcrawford
Verified Member

What actually happens on a check test and what input, if any does the examiner have if you take your own pupil?
Do you try and keep your lesson as normal as possible, i.e chat to your pupil or do you just concentrate on sticking to your chosen subject?

Phil

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 18-04-07 08:46:37

Carlo
Verified Member

What actually happens on a check test and what input, if any does the examiner have if you take your own pupil?
Do you try and keep your lesson as normal as possible, i.e chat to your pupil or do you just concentrate on sticking to your chosen subject?

Phil

Your check test should be just like a normal lesson smile.  If you have a chatty pupil and you normally chat so be it.  As long as it doesn't effect your teaching techniques it won't be a problem!  My pupil on my CT started a debate over a certain footie team.  It was cool to start but then I noticed his concentration lapse so I told him lets have a chat about the footie after lesson for now lets concentrate on your driving. wink

Good Luck with it!

#15 18-04-07 08:51:16

Carlo
Verified Member

What about if the DSA just haven't gotten around to doing your check test for 2 years?  Thats a bit unfair isn't it?

I have spoken to a few SE's and they have all told me that an E is only achieveable on your first check test.  This is no matter how long you have been qualified smile.  I know other instructors that got a CT after 18 months and got an E and others that had to wait 2 years and got an E.

Board footer