You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-07 17:38:00

New Girl
Verified Member

Who to use for Check Test

I'm not keen on the idea of taking a pupil, as they can't always be relied upon.  So at first I was thinking maybe roll play.....but then that would be just like taking your part 3 again - YIKES!!!  So what about taking my Mum out?  Shes a reasonable driver, but does the usual, speeding, mirror faults, squeezing through gaps etc.

Has anybody else tried this?  How would it work?  Should I tell the examiner that my pupil has come to me for a refresher?  Would you allow for a period of accessment at the start of the lesson?  Or would you assume that had been done previously and start with a recap from that and goals on how we can improve?  Do I need to disclose that its my Mum?

Any help appreciated  big_smile

03-04-07 17:38:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Who to use for Check Test

#2 03-04-07 19:50:03

dickdastardly
Verified Member

Oh I would always go for a pupil, New Girl. Prepare well by resarching your subject and route, give the pupil some information on whats happening and why and be prepared for them to make mistakes, after all thats what you do day to day, then correct them.

I'm sure your Mum would perhaps try too hard to please you and of course the examiner and I know only too well that family do not respond well to being taught by another family member. Also depending on how long your Mum's has been driving may impact on her 'ability' to revert to the correct way of doing things. I know only too well that after 30 years driving how hard it was to convert to the ADI way.

For me it's got to be a pupil every time, just choose one that you can rely on to act on your instruction, after all it's got to be a 'normal' lesson. Good luck.

#3 03-04-07 23:05:38

smdtr

Take a pupil and do what you would do on that lesson.  The pupil is certain to regress a little so there will be plenty to put right.  Use the CT as a learner curve to gain helpful assistance and criticism from the SEadi, that's what it's for, they want to see you do a real lesson.  Best of luck.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 04-04-07 09:09:27

Carlo
Verified Member

Hi new girl,

I'd take a pupil too.  I took my other half for my first check test and done mirrors.  She had been driving for 8yrs.  It's very easy to over instruct when dealing with qualified drivers, you seem to forget that they have been driving for x amount of year's sad and treat them as you would a learner.

Choose a pupil and have one "on the bench" just in-case the 1st lets you down.  I personally think one of the most important things is to match the lesson to the needs of the pupil as I realised after my first CT.  Choose a subject that your pupil struggles with so you have alot to sink your teeth into.  The SE wants to see you work, so show him your stuff  big_smile.  The SE would like to see some learning take place but is also aware that all pupils are different and learn at different rates.  Also like said above, once you have a pupil and subject start researching a route.  Make sure your very familiar with it (drive it yourself with a bit of commentary) this will make you more aware of any problems your pupil will come across smile.

Prepare well and your will breeze it.  Try and relax and use it as a learning experience smile.  Another (retired now) ADI once said to me "Your Part 3 test is like you having an interview for a job, if you pass the interview the jobs yours for life",  "The CT is like the SE coming to visit you at your work/workplace, making sure that your still doing things correctly and to help you with anything that needs developing".  Sort of makes sense smile, well to me anyway!

Remember it's YOUR lesson, YOUR in charge and in control, not the SE (unlike how some part 3's become).

Good Luck and relax!
Carlo

"It's easy when you know how!"

#5 04-04-07 10:38:58

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks for the advice so far....it really does help to speak to people who have done it!!

I'd quite like to do roundabouts as its a subject which I enjoy teaching and theres always plenty to do.  Trouble is our test centre is right in the centre of the town centre with lots of major roundabouts surrounding it.  If I were picking a pupil up from there for real and it wasn't a check test I would drive to a quieter place with smaller roundabouts to start with.  Is this acceptable to do on a check test?  Or should I make sure I go for a pupil who can already do these roundabouts and just needs brushing up?  But then its trying to find somebody suitable!!!!  All these decisions!!!

Help!
big_smile

#6 04-04-07 13:26:05

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

No problem driving them to another area - they'd mark you down if you took the pupil on an inappropriate route. Personally I see it as a plus point in your favour - as people say, do what you'd normally do and you'll be fine. I really don't believe the SE is out to get anyone. In my view if you show a positive attitude and willingness to learn you're almost certainly guaranteed to pass.

#7 04-04-07 19:52:51

Janner
Verified Member

Hello New Girl,
I had my check test last Friday  I borrowed a Learned from another instructor who I met 10 minutes before the test she had only had 7 hours of driving  So Just be yourself. My result was 6 in every box so it really is not a problem. Just enjoy it as a lesson.

Best of Luck.

#8 05-04-07 16:25:04

New Girl
Verified Member

When you put it like that it does sound a lot better smile

I guess I've just got to keep my cool and do the same as I do 5-6 times every other day of the year!  its just that word TEST roll

Thanks for the advice.....I'll probably be asking for more when the time gets closer and I'm planning it in detail!

Board footer