You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 31-03-07 20:38:47

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Register of Large Goods Vehicle Instructors

Hello all..

I signed up to the forum a while back when I was considering becoming an ADI.

I have since decided to use my skills as an LGV C+E Driver and join the Register of Large Goods Vehicle Instructors. I can see a plentiful future in LGV Training, both on road and classroom based with the ever increasing amount of road safety legislation and the new driver CPC (certificate of professional competence) being introduced in the next few years. I personally feel that I should be DSA registered, and was hoping that someone else on the forum had been through the same process.

I've never given a driving lesson, but do have a good knowledge of the Highway Code, RTA legislation and am a member of an advanced motorcycling group (IAM). I am looking for some help with the Part 3 training and am trying to find an LGV Driving School to let me sit in on lessons, or better still, take me on as a trainee instructor.

So... is anyone on the forum on the Register of Large Goods Vehicle Instructors?

DSA CBT1D - RPMT
RoSPA (Dip) Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
www.njrmotorcycletraining.com

31-03-07 20:38:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Register of Large Goods Vehicle Instructors

#2 03-04-07 20:01:34

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

So.. am I the only one on this forum working on LGVs?

Anyway.. I've had my letter from the DSA accepting my application for entrance onto the Register of LGV Instructors, and have booked my Part 1 Theory & HP Tests for the 23rd April 2007, so the ball is rolling.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#3 04-04-07 16:37:17

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Are LGV Instructors disliked on this forum??  :-

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#4 04-04-07 19:02:24

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Huge apologies iggy - LGV instructors are welcome, we just don't have many! Sorry!

I think there are a few, but they tend to be busy and pop in every now and again.

Well done on getting your tests booked, and good luck with everything. I know in my own area there are a couple of LGV schools, and I'm sure some of them would be willing to have a chat with you.

As far as I know, the training skills you will need will be similar to ADI training skills - Levels of instruction and core comps, so it may be worth seeing if those local LGV schools also do ADI training - 2 near me do, and they would be ideal to work with - also meaning you know who to tap up for a job once you're on the register.

Is the register still voluntary or have they made it mandatory now? I know there were hints about this in the past, with entry being a 3 part exam process the same as ADI?

#5 04-04-07 19:13:24

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Welcome.

The LGV register is still voluntary.

The tests are the same as for ADI car.

Theory HPT.
Driving.
Instructional ability.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#6 04-04-07 19:34:28

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Can an ADI with an LGV licence be an LGV instructor, or would they have to sit all 3 parts again?

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#7 05-04-07 07:19:34

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Unfortunately you need to sit the LGV tests, plus I believe there are no check tests you have to re apply every 4 years.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 05-04-07 19:17:54

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

Can an ADI with an LGV licence be an LGV instructor, or would they have to sit all 3 parts again?

You can instruct a pupil on LGV's up to your current entitlement (ie. if you hold cat C, you can instruct cat C, and if you hold cat C+E you can teach C+E.) provided you've held your licence in that category for three years or more.

I can instruct LGV now, but to be honest, would feel awkward giving instruction to a pupil without any qualification. That's why I going down the DSA route and signing up tp the register. The LGV register is still voluntary at the moment, but I think it's the right way to instruct.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#9 08-04-07 23:05:24

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Hi

You are certainly doing the right thing with the LGV training.  There is definitely going to be a shortage of trainers when this Driver CPC.  I am a PCV instructor and have been for the past three years.  I am on an industry register as there is no DSA one for PCV instructors.  I am actually doing my car ADI at the moment, as I think eventually all instructors of anything will have to do it (those are the industry rumours).

Hopefully after I get through the ADI part 3, I will be looking to do DSA Fleet and then LGV Register (I hold a C licence) .  Our company is hoping to be an accredited centre for the driver CPC for both PCV and LGV, as we employ both types of drivers.

I am certainly finding the ADI training useful, even though I do not teach basic learners.

I would imagine that a training course for LGV Register could be quiet expensive.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor
SAFED Bus & Coach / LGV / Aggregates Trainer
Driver CPC Periodic Training Centre
IAM Member: Motorcycle/Car/Commercial Vehicle

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 09-04-07 16:04:29

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

I would imagine that a training course for LGV Register could be quiet expensive.

Hi Storminnorman..

I've been offered 10 days training spread over a three day period followed by a seven day period. The cost for this is £1750 +VAT. The whole process including Parts 1, 2 & 3 testing and the 10 day training is coming out at £2,428.24 inc VAT.

I've got the budget for the training, but I'm a little concerned that an LGV driving school can aim to get a trainee instructor up to standard for part 3 examination in a week... yikes

I've never taught anyone to drive and only have the DSA text books to learn the syllabus from. I am trying at the moment to find an LGV school or large LGV operator (West London area) with in-house trainers to get some practical experience at presenting lessons. wink

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#11 09-04-07 19:00:13

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I would be very dubious of qualifying as an instructor in 10 days.

#12 09-04-07 19:13:40

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I have still to sit Pt3 but would deffo like to stay/work in the LGV industry, I have driven LGV's since I was 21 and like Iggy I have a good knowledge of the RTA and WTD that is now affecting how the LGV industry works.
with new changes to Tachograph legislation coming in all the time (another change this month) there may well be a shortage of instructors or even people with current knowledge to pass out the changes

Driver CPC Trainer

#13 09-04-07 19:28:24

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

I can't see how it can be done??
I want to give LGV tuition but can't find a school to take me on as an instructor without being DSA registered. So, how can I gain instructional experience prior to taking the part 3 test? I am starting to think that I should have gone down the ADI route and gained experience in teaching, then done the LGV Register, but that would have cost huge amounts.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#14 09-04-07 19:37:49

Iggy
Verified Member
Website

I have still to sit Pt3 but would deffo like to stay/work in the LGV industry, I have driven LGV's since I was 21 and like Iggy I have a good knowledge of the RTA and WTD that is now affecting how the LGV industry works.
with new changes to Tachograph legislation coming in all the time (another change this month) there may well be a shortage of instructors or even people with current knowledge to pass out the changes

I'm quite up to date on EU Regulation 3820/85/EC, including the changes due on the 11th of this month, and the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 (RT(WT)R). I've also written a DfT approved Airfreight Security Training Programme to provide Level 4 Aviation Training and some in-house tachograph training manuals. I'd like to encompass these subjects along with others like HIAB and ADR etc etc in my training abilities too.

I just need to find a training school or company that can give me the hands on time to prepare for Pt3.

DSA CBT1D - RPMT

#15 09-04-07 21:03:23

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Hi Iggy

Is the ten days just for the part three training and is it one to one, full days.  Generally the PCV instuctor courses are at least three weeks long.  They cover the equivalent of part 1/2/3 and classroom training skills.  However I would say that the part 3 training was nothing like sufficient and still seems to be that way.  I sent a new trainer on a course in January and he came back saying that he wishied they had given him more of the instructional on road training.   I guess I was lucky having been both a motorcycle instructor and a flying instructor previously.  Although I passed all parts, I came away feeling that I was very much a novice with bus instruction.  Now three years on I feel a lot more confident. 

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#16 09-04-07 21:57:03

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Iggy - couldn't you try to pass parts 1 & 2 ADI with minimal training then see if one of the training companies would take you on a pink? Or with the training experience you have you may find that part 3 doesn't need quite so much training as others (like myself - with no previous formal training skills) would need. Maybe you could speak to an independent trainer about this possibility.

#17 13-04-07 07:08:37

ExAdiNigel

My immediate reaction was to agree with you, but then I thought about it.  10 days, 7.5 hours a day so 75 hours of training.  When training to be an ADI we had to show evidence of 40 hours of training for part 3.  So 10 days training could well be enough.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#18 13-04-07 21:52:19

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Iggy

I was at a seminar today held by GoSkills about the new Driver CPC.  They are the national sector skills council for the passenger transport and driver training industries etc.  Their guy was again saying that I is very likely that all PCV instructors will have to be ADI'S in the future.  So the same would apply to LGV instructors.  That is one of the reasons I am doing my ADI at the moment.   Skills for Logistics are their freight industry counterpart.

Another thing that was said (which I have heard before), is that all professional licences from 2010 will only last for 5 years.  There was even talk that you may have to take a test for renewal of the licence.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#19 30-06-07 16:32:32

Rick448
Verified Member

I am on the LGV register and am also an ADI (car) I found the car test much harder.

#20 30-06-07 16:46:40

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Rick448 - what is the process you had to go through to get on register? did you have to sit LGV tests etc, or does your LGV licence and ADI badge cover enough?

Driver CPC Trainer

#21 30-06-07 17:22:38

Rick448
Verified Member

I did the LGV reg first, but you still have to sit all the 3 parts.

#22 30-06-07 21:28:39

storminnorman
Verified Member
Website

Rick448.  Did you just take the lgv register exams or go on a course to train for them.  If you went on a course, which training outfit did you use?  As I could do with adding lgv register to my qualifications.

ADI Grade 6
DSA Fleet Register
Qualified PCV Instructor

#23 30-06-07 22:31:58

Rick448
Verified Member

Well my background is maybe not the norm, i did my LGV reg as an instructor for the Fire service on Blues and twoes, it then became an issue that we needed the LGV reg, much the same as i hd to do the ADI to teach officers in cars... (for which i did a proper course, such as it was lol) To e totally honest the LGV reg was on a scale of 1 to 10 about a 3 and the ADI about a 9, but having said that if i had been actually doing ADI work it would have been easier. If you would like any info please message me..

#24 30-06-07 22:44:24

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

YeahRick, would like as much info as you have mate LOL

Driver CPC Trainer

#25 30-06-07 22:49:29

Rick448
Verified Member

Please send me a private message or an email to richardphillips448@tiscali.co.uk and i'll do my best to give you info and any tips i can.

Board footer