You are not logged in.

#1 25-03-07 00:29:36

dcbedford
Verified Member

About to start on a trainee licence

I'm about a week away from starting on a  :pdibadge: and beginning to get nervous about how I'll be with my first pupil.

Have got some pupils lined up, a mixture of new starters and partly trained.

Can anyone give me any advice about keeping the nerves under control on the first few lessons with real pupils rather than in trainer role plays.

Thanks

Dave

Part 1 - Second attempt - Passed 7/9/06 98/61
Part 2 - First attempt 1/12/06- Failed 8 minors
Part 2 - Second attempt 5/12/06 - Failed different 8 minors
Part 2 - Third attempt 11/1/07 - Passed 4 minors
Part 3 - First Attempt - 7/8/07 - PST 1 5/3
Part 3 - Second Attempt - 11/9/07 - PST 7 2/3
Part 3 - Third Attempt - 25/3/08 - PST 3 5/4 Passed at Last
First Check Test - 2/9/09 - Grade 4

25-03-07 00:29:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: About to start on a trainee licence

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-03-07 00:33:41

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

dont worry about it, your NOT on test and will very seldom be asked to explain again what you have said, if you miss anything you will bring it into the drive.......................

I did not go the Pink route and dont realy have the time to, BUT, i have taken out mates and relatives, and its a dam site easier than being with my instructor, I totally feel at ease, and if I do forget something, I have allways manged to bring it up on the drive.

SO!!!!!!!!!! chill out big fella....... its easier than training with ADI Instructor yikes

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#3 25-03-07 01:14:52

john55
Verified Member

i think you'll find the nerves will disappear very quickly. you won't have time to be nervous, you'll be too busy trying to keep control of your nervous pupil. remember you know much more than them. plan each lesson b4 you go out. watch your charges like a hawk. try and teach each lesson as per the PST's. you have to get some benefit from this as well. and please don't take on too many pupils. remember the pink licence should not be seen as a money making opportunity. good luck. let us know how you get on.  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#4 25-03-07 07:40:12

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

I agree with above. Plan your routes, know your subject, watch like a hawk, breath & relax. You will be surprised how quick the time will fly.

#5 25-03-07 08:54:40

pinball
Verified Member
Website

Same as above just relax and you will be fine.

#6 26-03-07 12:31:49

weemann
Verified Member
Website

I'm in the same position as you dcbedford.  I'm due to start with BSM on Friday 13th (!) and my nerves are starting to show already.

If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up. The Times, Tues Jun 17, 2008

#7 26-03-07 20:27:33

Paulski
Verified Member
Website

I remember my first lesson on a pink, 2 hours pupil from scratch. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to say enough for two hours, but it sails by.

Know your first lesson route inside out. You don't want to have the extra worry about not knowing where you are. Your brain will be frazzled from overwork for the first few days, don't worry it gets better

Best of luck

www.redminidrivingschool.co.uk
info@redminidrivingschool.co.uk

#8 28-03-07 14:04:07

gemgems
Verified Member

hi, i started on pink 3 weks ago, was very nervous on my first leson, after about 5 mins your nerves disappear, and you should start to enjoy yourself. It really is good fun. Don't let the pupil see that you are nervous, just try to relax and learn from your experience. I have 5 pupils at the moment all at different stages, and you can learn so much from them, as they learn from you. It's a brill experience when they get something right first time and they are chuffed to bits. Plan your lesson beforehand and do it as you would on your part 3, it really does help. the hour flies by. It's brill, wish i'd done it years ago. Also do yourself some notes after the lesson so you know where they are up to and what to do the following lesson, so you don't forget. Good luck

#9 28-03-07 14:48:20

rachel05
Verified Member

Just enjoy it, although I didn't go the pink route, I've taken family out.  I can't reiterate enough know your route.  Apart from that it is definately easier than an instructor.  Also don't expect them to pick it up as quick as your instructor, they deffo take longer and need more practise at new topics than your instructor.  I love taking out 'Real' pupils, its so much more rewarding.  Just gotta pass now and do it for real. ;D

PART 1: Passed 02/03/2006 98% 61
PART 2: Passed 3rd time 03/08/2006 (3 minors)
PART 3: Failed 06/03/2007 4/3
PART 3: Passed 18/04/2007 4/5

#10 28-03-07 15:34:24

evan

Why not phone the pupil, find out if they have driven before, you can remind them to bring their driving licence, spectacles if they need them, also tell them to wear sensible shoes, remember they will be far more nervous then you. If you have prior knowledge of their ability you can plan where to take them. The benefits of phoning them before the lesson is it breaks the ice for them and you, and also gives you valuable background knowledge. Once you have that knowledge think about how far it is from where they live to a suitable training area. When you are driving there talk to them about what you are going to do on the lesson, be excited about it, they will warm to you and this will break the ice and also give you more confidence. Don't forget to do the eye test and document the licence details. Remember doing this gives the whole lesson a good professional start and helps them trust you. Above all make sure that they know what they are going to be doing in the lesson, and tell them what to expect on the next lesson. A pupil that is looking forward to the next lesson is far easier to engage and teach, then one who just gets dropped off and forgotten about till the next week.
Try and evaluate how you think the lesson has gone at the end. Do this when you get home, do a check list of things that went well and things you would do differently. Try to make mental notes of whether the pupil responded better to explanation or diagrams.

Anyway good luck, hope the above gives you some food for thought. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 28-03-07 21:23:49

john55
Verified Member

Why not phone the pupil, find out if they have driven before, you can remind them to bring their driving licence, spectacles if they need them, also tell them to wear sensible shoes, remember they will be far more nervous then you. If you have prior knowledge of their ability you can plan where to take them. The benefits of phoning them before the lesson is it breaks the ice for them and you, and also gives you valuable background knowledge. Once you have that knowledge think about how far it is from where they live to a suitable training area. When you are driving there talk to them about what you are going to do on the lesson, be excited about it, they will warm to you and this will break the ice and also give you more confidence. Don't forget to do the eye test and document the licence details. Remember doing this gives the whole lesson a good professional start and helps them trust you. Above all make sure that they know what they are going to be doing in the lesson, and tell them what to expect on the next lesson. A pupil that is looking forward to the next lesson is far easier to engage and teach, then one who just gets dropped off and forgotten about till the next week.
Try and evaluate how you think the lesson has gone at the end. Do this when you get home, do a check list of things that went well and things you would do differently. Try to make mental notes of whether the pupil responded better to explanation or diagrams.

Anyway good luck, hope the above gives you some food for thought. Ev

great advice.  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

Board footer