You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-01-05 19:26:11

dashdriving.com
Website

Part 2 help - observation techniques

Hi,

I've just replied to a question on another forum and it's something that crops up from time to time. The question was from a PDI who has failed part 2 a couple of times. The SE told the PDI that he felt he wasn't looking far enough ahead.

The following may be of assistance to some trainees . . .

Always try to remember to look as far ahead as you can in the direction that you want to go in . . .

on a straight road it's clearly a simple matter of looking well ahead at any dangers or hazards that you may be driving towards.

On bends or when you intend to change direction at a junction or a roundabout, try to do the same thing . . . look well ahead in the direction you want to go in . . . not just on the road you're on, but into the new road as well.

For instance . . . on the approach to a roundabout where you want to turn right, try to get into the habit of looking across to your right into the road you'll eventually be on. Try to do this before you've even arrived at the roundabout. Take advantage of any gaps between buildings, breaks in fences and hedges etc etc to try to see what you're driving towards as early as you can. Use any means that you can to look ahead, even reflections in windows can be life savers.

I teach a lot of Advanced Driving courses, and these 'cross views' as I've described above are an essential part in planning your driving. You can anticipate and prepare for hazards far easier when you see them much earlier.

You must not allow your eyes to be fixed in one place - this is a remarkably common problem with ADI's that I train. Your eyes should be constantly 'darting' from left to right, into the far distance, middle distance, just in front of you and don't forget the all important regular mirror checks every few seconds. The aim is to be aware of just about everything around you.

Another thing to remember, and it's a skill that you can develop with practice, is to not just 'see' whats there but to think to yourself 'what does it mean?'. Almost anything on the road ahead of you is a potential hazard. Try to expect the unexpected by geting into the constant habit of asking yourself what might happen.

An example . . . you see a pedal cyclist in front of you, going the same way as you . . . is it windy? will the cyclist wobble? what about the road surface just in front of the cylist? any potholes or drains that they'll need to swerve around and pull out into your path?

Another classic is the row of parked cars . . . kids could run out, car doors could open, cars could move off etc etc. Always think 'what could possibly happen? Then plan for if it does and expect the unexpected.

Use what are refered to as 'observation links' . . . you drive through a small village and see dustbins at the ends of all the driveways next to the road . . . what does this mean? what might happen? well, you can almost certainly expect to see a dustbin waggon around the next bend!! it might not be there, but the important thing is that you expected it to be. I hope that makes sense!

I sometimes think it's interesting to note that a lot of PDI's problems at part 3 are due to insufficient training at part 2. At part 3 you will need to be able to watch the pupil like a hawk and at the same time look well ahead and anticipate hazards. It is possible, it's really not hard to do, but it does take practice.

Hope this has been of use.

regards

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

15-01-05 19:26:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 help - observation techniques

#2 16-01-05 00:05:29

disappointed

Couldn't agree more, Dave.

Another tip that might be of help with observations during the reverse manouevers is, when finished, ask yourself if someone else could have been able to reach and touch the car without you (the driver) seeing them?

If the answer is 'no' (and be honest here), then you're probably carrying out sufficient all-round observations.

If 'yes', then not only do you know to carry out more observations, but if you can identify from which direction they would have been able to approach, then you also know where you need to be looking additionally.

One of my learners decided he was going to expand on this, and said:

"When I'm doing my manouevers, I'm going to imagine that the Examiner has hidden someone behind a nearby wall, fence, hedge, etc, and that he's promised them £20 if they can manage to touch my car during the exercise without me seeing them. It's my job to make sure they stay broke!"

Worked for him, 'coz he passed!

If you look at the DSA's top 10 reasons for failing tests, five of the ten are directly due to observations, either not being done or not enough. It really doesn't need to be like this, because it's the simplest fault to resolve.......open your eyes and turn your head round!!

#3 16-01-05 00:18:09

dashdriving.com
Website

disappointed,

That's a great idea! I'll be definitely trying that one on one or two of mine.

Thanks

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#4 16-01-05 15:15:10

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

I'm going to try and impress my trainer with the observation idea. See if he notices any improvements from my 15 faults last week!

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

Board footer