You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-03-04 10:49:14

aam1t

Urgent Advice Needed!

Hello there everyone!  big_smile

I have reached a level now where I'm waiting on my part three test which is on 6/5/04. I have decided to put this date back a few months as I’ve not had any time to read or practice for the part three  :oops: .

I was thinking of joining up with a school on a trainee license could you all please please give me some advice as to if I'm doing the right thing or not as I really want to become a driving instructor  :? .

Could you also give me your opinion on the driving school, I’m thinking to join up with RED Driving School?

I have a meeting with the Red School manager tomorrow so any advice you have is much appreciated!

Regards

Amit.  big_smile

25-03-04 10:49:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Urgent Advice Needed!

#2 25-03-04 11:25:43

DAVE-ADI

Trainee licences can be helpful,  but you need to make sure your sponsor is not just using you to earn easy extra money.

You should be supervised on some lessons, to ensure you are doing things the correct way.   Ask what supervision/help  you will receive from them.

#3 25-03-04 12:13:35

aam1t

Good point Dave, I'll ask the guy when I see him.

Although he did mention to me when I asked him over the phone "How quickly can you book me up?" to which he replied: "as a trainee you should'nt be doing more then 30 lessons pw as you will be in trouble for your part 3"

Thanks Amit.

#4 25-03-04 13:17:54

Liesa

Wow 30 lessons a week, I don't like to do more than that now, and I've been teaching for 5.5 years. What you've got to remember is, that on top of the hours you're teaching, you've got travelling time as well. In an ideal world, all of our pupils would be within a 5 minute drive but, in reality it can turn out that you've got upto a 30 minute drive between them.

If you do decide to take a trainee licence out, make sure you don't overload yourself, the experience you gain whilst being on the trainee licence can be of real benefit to you, especially if you're not the most confident person in the world.

I can't comment on Red Driving School as I don't know anyone who's worked for them, but as Dave say's make sure you'll get all the backup you want. Shop around and don't just jump at the first offer you get, some of these company managers are on a commision, so the more cars they put on the road the more they get paid!

Whatever you decide good luck and keep us informed.

#5 25-03-04 13:37:50

arib
Verified Member
Website

Amit

You don't say whether you have a full time job at the minute. If you go full time on a pink license you must bear in mind that if you fail part 3 on your 3rd attempt you will be out of a job. I've seen this happen so many times to trainees.
You also don't say who you are training with, if it is a local school maybe they might let you teach part time around your present employment.
Reds school of motoring I believe is run by The Instuctor College. and all pupil enquiries are gained from a national network office. So be careful or you could be travelling miles between lessons, which won't be cost effective. No doubt your contact should be able to clear things up there.
I'm not trying to discourage you, just be aware of all eventualities.
Good luck with your training.

ariB

#6 25-03-04 14:37:28

aam1t

Hi there, Liesa & arib

Thanks for the great advice  big_smile  & reality check on hours, your right in what you say.

I've been to see a few local schools and find that they all offer the same type of offers with some larger schools insisting on 35 to 40+ lessons.  sad

Myself I have trained at the Instructor College (Stockport) and I am not working any full or part time job. I do work from home which I control so I can stop that for my full time tuition.

Thanks again to you both and any more advice is most welcome as I am checking responses regularly.

Regards
Amit.

#7 25-03-04 16:34:36

steve

aamit. what these large schools or smaller schools can offer take with a very large pinch of salt.what they offer and what they actualy supply can be miles away .

#8 25-03-04 16:39:49

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

What i did was go and visit many driving schools and see what they have to offer, don't take the first one that sounds ok.

In the end i never did bother with a 'pink' to many schools wanted you to work for less than a regular instructor but charged the pupils the same, your doing the same job so i wanted the same pay. Not all are like this but it put me off the idea, And i didn't want to be teaching people the wrong thing.

In the end i was happy about not taking out a 'pink' as the part 3 did differ from regular teaching.

#9 25-03-04 16:50:19

rusty
Verified Member
Website

aam1t,
           Good advice given above.
I was in you pos about 18 months ago and started on a trainee licence doing about 30 hrs a week. Far too much on reflection, after I dipped p3 the first time I halved the hrs to 15 a week for 3 months and had a positive result.
Did a lot of miles driving from one lesson to another

Regards for the future..

#10 25-03-04 21:03:29

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

I'm currently on a trainee licence with Red Driving School. I have a very large area to cover (16 post code areas) and while trying to group pupils near each other on the same day this is not always possible and on some days have had an hours drive between lessons. Getting out of the city of Nottingham at rush hour can be quite time consuming.

Make sure you ask all the questions you want answered and try not to be persuaded to take a larger area than you really want. As a trainee with Red you get free extra training with The Instructor College, but no lesson supervision. (Red Driving School and The Instructor College are both part of Lansdowne Venture Group).

If you have a full time job think very carefully before giving it up!!!

Hope this helps.

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#11 25-03-04 21:48:28

rachdrive
Website

Hi Aam1t,

I was on a pink with Red driving school and it worked really well for me at the time. I only worked about 15 hours a week as it took sooo long to build the business up.

I didn't get many pupils from Red itself as they didn't operate in my area at the time and got most of the work myself.

They did however take this into account when charging franchise fees and I didn't pay full fees for several months.

DEFINATELY DON'T work more than 20 hours a week. It completely stuffs up your part3 as you have no time to reflect on your lessons. Remember it is like being on Probation (PDI) until you prove to the EXAMINER that you can do the job!!

I left red as soon as I qualified as I felt I could create the work myself and I did(though had the added advantage of being a woman)

As a starting base going on a pink isn't too bad as long as you don't abuse it to JUST make money.

Hope this helps

Rach 8)
PS I hear the support is much better these days since i left them!!!

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#12 26-03-04 00:38:53

aam1t

Hi there everyone,  yikes

I have just got a chance to check my responses and I'm really greatful to all of you. big_smile

I feel like I'm getting some good honest truth and not just a Sales Pitch. I’ve been asking for all these answers to these questions since the last four weeks and all I get is flowered up versions which don’t add up. :?

If you Guys & Ladies think of any more useful info please drop me a note as all your info will stop me from some of the pitfalls and help me make the right choices. wink

Thanks Steve, Approved Instructor, Rusty, John Exley, Rachdrive for your latest advice and again thanks to you all for replying so soon. big_smile

Kind Regards

Amit.

#13 26-03-04 08:09:16

arib
Verified Member
Website

Amit
Just another thought that might help you. Why not visit a local test centre and speak to the instructors in there. I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Most of us just sit around waiting whilst the pupils are out on test. Just be careful you don't go in and interupt the tests are there are starting. You'll know when that is, lots of learner cars parked up.

arib

#14 26-03-04 13:20:44

aam1t

Great Idea  :idea:  arib,

I think I'll do just that. I remember when I went to take my part 2 and saw Intructors sitting around waiting for their students to come back.

Cheers Buddy.

Amit.

Board footer