You are not logged in.

#1 30-12-04 16:32:42

jonks

Examiners behavior on part 3 test

Does the examiner on a part 3 test purpously make driving mistakes in order to see how you deal with correcting the mistakes?

30-12-04 16:32:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Examiners behavior on part 3 test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-12-04 16:49:45

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

jonks wrote:

Does the examiner on a part 3 test purpously make driving mistakes in order to see how you deal with correcting the mistakes?

He will make lots of mistakes, generally on the topic being instructed but he will look for any opportunity to make a mistake.

He can also be the perfect pupil who does as he is told, or the pupil from hell who shows little response to your instructions. Either way, you have to deal with it  :shock:

There are 3 core compentencies being assessed: Fault identification (see it), Fault analysis (work out why it happened), Remedial action (fix it).

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#3 30-12-04 17:25:08

muffin

dont start jimbo off on this one :twisted:

#4 30-12-04 19:07:27

bajr

Outside of the main topic of the PST the SE ADI's mstakes will be based around the core competencies mainly MSPSL but just keep a good eye out and ask yourself if you would do it like that if you were driving!

Bruce

#5 30-12-04 21:01:05

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

One thing the examiner did on mine was ask a question or say things like...

My old instructor said i could keep my foot on the brake at traffic lights and other jcns, is he right (if i would have said yes right, he would have prob turned right cutting up on-coming traffic, if i say yes thats correct he wouldn't) ?

I gave my answer or said we would talk about it later, then he said; Oh so your saying my old instructor was wrong ?

It puts doubt in your mind, your on a test and he seems to be testing your nerve or testing if you will stick by what you say.

Its a battle of the mind, stand your ground.

#6 03-01-05 18:21:56

dashdriving.com
Website

Jonks,

The examiner on part 3 will give you every opportunity to demonstrate your skills as an instructor.

One of the ways that this is done is by making driving errors for you to deal with. Fault identification, fault analysis and remedial action form a part of the core competencies that you need to demonstrate. Actually, I've known them commit only one error during the whole test - which was dealt with excellently - so I guess they never bothered with any more!

As the above answer stated, you have to identify the error, decide why it happened and decide what to do about it to put it right ie. teach your pupil and ensure that you transfer some learning.

There's a little more too it, though . . . how are you going to put it right? what will you say and how will you say it? will you get the pupil to pull up? or deal with it on the move? will you think "I'll ignore that one, it wasn't too bad and I don't want to demoralise the pupil" (be VERY careful with this decision). It all takes a bit of practice and training, but with good preperation part 3 really is an easy test to pass.

One point I would like to raise is the complete and utter fallacy that some instructor trainers and training companies love to spread far and wide . . .

that part 3 is nothing like a 'real' driving lesson and it's all very false. Because of this, part 3 is really very hard to pass because you never know what to expect and it's nothing like it'll be 'if' you get lucky and manage to pass etc. etc.

This is absolute rubbish. Part 3 must be approached EXACTLY like a real lesson with a real pupil. Even the errors made by the examiner are quite realistic, if a little exaggerated! Remember, the SE ADI wants to assess what you'll be like in real situations dealing with real people. I firmly believe that the reason for high failure rates at part three is because of extremely poor training of the 'sub skills' as the DSA sometimes refer to them. I have met quite a few PDI's who, after failing part 3, quite literally have no idea why they failed or anything at all about the core competencies. Worse, I've met ADI trainers with a similar lack of understanding. Incredible.

The only 'surreal' part is that your learner learns very quickly. Very quickly indeed! The SE ADI has only about 25 mins per phase to assess you. Hence the reason for the errors.

Each error made by the SE ADI is not something to panic about. Each one is a golden opportunity to show your fault finding and communication skills to the full. Remember, the examiner will not be expecting you to cram in as much as you would in a full hours lesson with a student - dealing well with just one error may be enough. The old saying "Quality, not quantity" could have been writen to describe what's required on part 3.

The SE knows that in reality it may take several lessons to put a steering fault right. They just want to see HOW you'll put it right. With a real learner, if you don't do the fault correction properly, you could spend weeks and weeks with the pupil making the same errors and never finding the solution. The SE only has 25 mins, so they learn quickly if you teach them well!

So, the answer to the original "Does the examiner on a part 3 test purpously make driving mistakes in order to see how you deal with correcting the mistakes?" is a resounding "YES!!" and you should welcome all of them to show the SE what you can do.

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#7 03-01-05 21:42:11

paulwall

To Dashdriving.com.
May i just say what a pleasure it was to read your post.      smile
It was well written, informative, and if i understand your reply correctly, very like the pt 3 test. It said what will happen, why it happens, and how to deal with it.

Just like to mention that I hope to take my part 1 soon, Lets Drive permitting.

Hopefully my recently passed HGV license will be a help.

Cheers all.

Paul.
wink

Hmmmmm.....

#8 05-01-05 18:47:52

corfi

my pt3 was great after dueling him twice and talking to him lots he was great the kids that rollerskated in front of us for about 10 mins were fun as you can imagene he was a pain in the arse but no more so than a pupil i passed first time (3rd time on part 2 better at telling people what to do than doing it lol)and think this was down to working as pdi for the full 6 m training is no subistitute for experience

#9 09-01-05 18:45:00

dashdriving.com
Website

Corfi,

I forgot to mention the kid's on rollerskates, they're always about.

Wonder if the DSA employ them . . .Mmm

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#10 11-01-05 13:34:58

donegalbiddy

I thoroughly enjoyed Dave's response regarding Part 3.  Just passed part 2 with 4 minors and gettin nervous about part 3.  What to expect? All about the unknown, which we all do really know, but do you think the SE who do part 3 tests want you to pass????

#11 11-01-05 14:53:03

dashdriving.com
Website

Hi,

Just remember . . . there are no 'quotas' for learners and there are no 'quotas' for ADI's. If you do well, score enough marks and keep everyone safe, you will pass.

On the day of your part 3 you will get out of bed, have your breakfast and at some point make your way to the test centre . . .

Your SE ADI will get out of bed, have some breakfast and at some point make their way to the test centre . . . the only difference between you is a small piece of green paper. You are both just human beings going about what you have both chosen to do.

The SE ADI will be very highly trained and completely impartial. They probably don't know you or what you look like until you both meet in the waiting room. They will have no pre concieved ideas at all about how you are going to perform. They will mark you objectively on what you say, how you act, your attitude and the overall standard of your instructional performance.

It's really not a case of whether the SE ADI wants you to pass or not . . . their job is not to care whether you pass or fail, their job is simply to mark your performance as objectively as they can.

Part 3 is truly an easy test to pass when you understand whats required - and you do already understand whats required . . . it's you!

you are whats required!! your personality, your communicaton skills, your teaching ability etc etc. I cannot stress enough that part 3 is all about you, not under any circumstances about completely unimportant pre set tests. They are just the test route for an ADI - nothing more.

good luck with your part 3

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#12 15-01-05 19:51:26

dashdriving.com
Website

Hi,

I had a call from a PDI asking for advice on the above post. I'd love to ring you back but you didn't leave your number and your cli is blocked so I can't contact you!!

Don't want you to think I'm beingignorant, I'll contact you when I can, but I do need your number!!

regards

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

Board footer