You are not logged in.

#1 09-03-07 18:36:23

sw
Verified Member

Average speed cameras

I was driving down the M4 the other day and they had 'Average Speed Cameras' in roadworks. A couple of cameras over the road every mile or so. Speed limit was 50mph and it was quite a surreal experience......nobody was speeding! The motorway wasn't that busy and so if there had been normal speed cameras it would have had most people still doing 70, 80 etc and then slamming on the anchors for the camera, but no everyone was sat there doing 50. Im sure the novelty will wear off and some device will be brought out that will work out how much time minimum you're allowed to travel over that distance without getting a ticket but it seemed that the cameras actually made a difference.

Anyone else seen this?

09-03-07 18:36:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Average speed cameras

#2 09-03-07 18:47:51

Kev D
Verified Member

Yes on the M56 near Runcorn, there has been a 40mph speed limit in force for nearly 12 months and average speed camera's are in operation there and they do make people slow down for the duration of the speed zone (well at least between the first and last camera).

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#3 09-03-07 19:54:23

BRAKE OR U WILL CRASH!

Yer - long term feature of the A2 near cobham for a bit, and also just before bluewater to just before dartford heath in both directions. And wahey when i am on fll time uni i have to go through them, i religiously stick to the blasted 50, and you get people try sit in yer rear seat overtak etc, makes me wonder sometimes on this stretch are they actually active lol however i ain't risking it to find out.

most people stick to limit, you get some idiots that still break it though. Plus they start the signs for the zone way before there is actually a camera due to moving the roadworks along, but not moving cameras further back too, daft huh lol

Gemma
1st practical - 29/07/2005 4s 9m   2nd practical - 17/08/2005 1s 10m
3rd Practical - 8/09/2005 3s 6m  4th Practical - 12/10/2005 4 minor!!!
Pass Plus - Completed 4th Dec  Drives R reg Fiesta Chicane 2005-2009
Had an 09 Mazda2 Sport.
Now got my ZoomZoom 60 Mazda2 Sport.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 09-03-07 20:17:34

pinball
Verified Member
Website

We have these average speed cameras in some built up area`s no road works just a gentle reminder of your speed really good

#5 10-03-07 07:03:53

kev elliott

We have them is this part of the world as as well

A set on the M5near Exeter at major roadworks

A trial set in a tunnel that has a 30MPH limit last time i heard if they had been live and used for real 90% of cars were exceeding the speed limit.

Tunnel is in the middle of 2 dual carrige ways so speed perception isthe problem, 70 for maybe 2.5 hours then down to 30, back up to 70. There are plenty of speed limit signs.  A poor excuse i know but i am convinced that is the reason for it.

#6 10-03-07 12:32:09

AndyBerry

There's a large number on and around the ring-road in Nottingham. They've been up 5 or 6 years now, they were first in the country from what I understand. They still keep people to the speed limit (40mph) and work very well I think.

Andy

#7 10-03-07 19:25:41

kev elliott

There is no escape that is why, as long as they are well sign posted they will act as more of a deterent to speeding than fixed camera sites.

However that is not to say that they can cope with inapproriate speed for the road conditions. Now that is an argument that will never be finished.

#8 11-03-07 11:14:31

AndyBerry

There was also a story floating about that came from a source at the camera manufacturers that they could not cope with people who simply went through the cameras in a different lane each time.
Don't know how true it is and wouldn't fancy trying it out either!

Andy

#9 11-03-07 13:11:10

kev elliott

Andy,
apparently true. The specification does allow for cars to be tracked across lanes, howver when the cameras were approved for use this function was not included therefore courst will not accept as evidence. The same also applies to some speed cameras, according to Devon And Cornwall road safety partnership some handheld cameras can detect speed coming towards and going away from the camera, currently at least in Devon and Cornawall this is not used as the measurements for travelling away from the camera are not approved for use.

On a the same subject we had a case where the mobile speed trap was positioned out of sight of motorists, as long as the fines raised from this are not kept by the camera partnership the police are with in their rights to do this.

Not saying if I agreee or disagree witht he practise but it does make you aware that just because you cannot see the camera it does not mean you have a defense. I know that no ADI's would break speed limits but mmight be useful for shall we say those pups with lead shoes on.

Board footer