You are not logged in.

#1 12-01-05 18:54:41

Alibran

Question on Part 2 training/test

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just started my ADI training.  I had my assessment drive this morning, and it's got me wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of using my own car for Part 2.

The ADI who did the assessment said it was an "excellent drive", with my main faults being too fast approaching junctions and too fast on the maneouvres.  Personally, I think he was pretty generous - not criticising him in any way because he's the expert and I'm not, but I felt that my driving was quite "sloppy" compared with how I usually drive in my own car.  I did the assessment in his car.

This got me wondering.  My car is a petrol Ford Mondeo, his is a diesel Peugeot 206/207 (can't remember what number they're on), so there's obviously quite a difference.  I'd previously thought I'd choose not to do the test in my own car, mainly because the maneouvres would be easier in a smaller car and the ADI, I figured, would prefer to do the training in his car.  Usually I don't really care what I drive, and my experience ranges from Fiat Cinquecento to double decker bus, so I thought it wouldn't really matter what car I used.  But having done the assessment, I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to do the training and test in my own car because I'm comfortable and familiar with it, because I tend to do the maneouvres slower anyway because it's bigger and more awkward, and because it's the car I'll be practicing in.

What do other people think about this?  I haven't talked to anyone from my training provider about it yet because I thought I'd try to get some feedback here first.

12-01-05 18:54:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Question on Part 2 training/test

#2 12-01-05 19:40:50

disappointed

Hi Alibran

I reckon you would be better off in your own car because:

You drive it regularly, not for a couple of hours at a time at intervals.

You know how it feels at certain speeds, making it easier to stick to limits.

Unlike some things, size doesn't matter (!) - Guys I know have taken Part 2 in Peugeot 406's, MGZF's and even a VW Touran!

Being able to give your full concentration to your driving rather than trying to remember which side the windscreen wiper control is on has got to be a good thing!

#3 12-01-05 22:01:32

donegalbiddy

I agree, use your own car, you know it well, you'll know all your reference points etc as well as where the controls are.  Okay so if you can drive, you can drive any car, but if you want to pass part II then whats most familiar to you will help you best.  Good luck with your training!  Oh forgot to say, remember you are an experienced driver, so the ADI who had you for your assessment can see that,  I mean your not a learner driver, just an experienced driver who needs some bad habits removed maybe.  Enjoy!!!

#4 13-01-05 08:47:14

Graham

Ditto all the above! There's no doubt about it, use your own car. Your own reasons are perfectly valid.
The bigger Mondeo will check your speed and you'll be far more confident on manoeuvers. Good luck.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 13-01-05 13:01:36

Alibran

Thanks for the answers.  That's pretty much what I was starting to think.

disappointed wrote:

Being able to give your full concentration to your driving rather than trying to remember which side the windscreen wiper control is on has got to be a good thing!

And not having to peer at it to work out which direction it should go in!!  I've done that many times.

Board footer