You are not logged in.

#1 31-10-06 13:20:55

Bully306
Verified Member

A Few More Questions About Starting Up.

Just a few off the top of me head. Any answers appeciated.

1. The best place for roof signs and signage (is signage even a word??). There's that RC? something , are there any others?

2. When I start up, who do i notify (tax people etc.) once i've registered with them do they send me all the tax return bumph and when it's to be done?

3. Do I have to register my company name with anyone? so I don't get sued for copyright etc.

4. What percentage will I get hit for, taxwise? so I know roughly what to put aside.

5. How much should I be looking at to get dual controls fitted?

5 for starters. thanks in advance.

What? Wahey!......Gerroffff!

31-10-06 13:20:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: A Few More Questions About Starting Up.

#2 31-10-06 15:52:15

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Hiya,

can't help with them all, but here's my thoughts...

1. Got my car done at a local signwriters who do all sorts of graphics (& have a link with the local franchise I've gone with). Blank headboard from DIA & graphics done at same place.

2. I've gone the easy way & got myself an accountant who's sent me forms to sign and send back to him when necessary. Within 3 months of going self employed you have to let the Revenue know or they can fine you. They'll send you certificate of self employed status or something (haven't had mine through yet!)

3. No idea, but I don't think so. If you register as a company you have to let Companies House know, but that'll cost as you have to do audited accounts etc... No need for the level of turnover you'll have in this job!

4. Put about 15% aside as you go & you won't get nasty surprises. & try not to dip into it!

5. Depends on car - give He-Man a call (Google them - they're in Southampton & they'll give you part only price & will give you the name of a fitter in your area who'll quote for part & fitting if you don't want to do it yourself!). I don't know about the other suppliers, but again Google is a great tool!

Good luck!

Ambition Driving College

#3 31-10-06 16:06:55

luchell

1/ i used rcmmarketing.co.uk

2/You need to ring the inland revenue to tell them you're now self employed, anyone on a pink also needs to do the same. I got a pack sent out to me for info i think after registering. That should sort out your national insurance contributions also after you tell them.

3/NO just check no one down the road is using your name that could be fun  lol

4/ About 15 percent is what i am ermm supposed to be attempting to put back although im due a rebate this year  lol

5/ Depends, i got a local garage to do them for 150 pounds for fitting. you don't really want any Tom Dick or Harry doing it really. Suzuki put mine in at no charge.

#4 02-12-06 22:14:23

Thorny
Verified Member
Website

Don't know what part of the world you live in, but a chap called Kurt Luby supplied and fitted my dual to both my current and previous car. He's a mobile fitter and covers a huge area around the north of England. He comes highly recommended, top bloke.

My roof sign and door panel signs came from Driving School Supplies Ltd. V. pleased with them. They arrived very quick too!

Always make a point of casually asking new students where they got my name from. Most is word of mouth, but some do just see my car about and record the number. Don't be put off if pedestrians take photo's of your car, some potential students use the cameras on their phones to record the number on the roof sign!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 03-12-06 00:29:29

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

You only have to register your company name if your a ltd company but most of us adi's are sole traders.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#6 05-12-06 15:34:34

Target
Verified Member
Website

1. The best place for roof signs and signage (is signage even a word??). There's that RC? something , are there any others?

I called Grade Six Supplies. Got the reflective lettering like the Police, never actually seen it at night myself have to park up one time and watch as cars pass. Cost £110 including the sign and lettering inc delivery.

2. When I start up, who do i notify (tax people etc.) once i've registered with them do they send me all the tax return bumph and when it's to be done?

I use an accountant. You need to register within the first 3 months. Keep a record of your income out outgoings.

3. Do I have to register my company name with anyone? so I don't get sued for copyright etc.

Have a look round. Alot of driving school double up on names. The most well known case was a driving school calling themselves ' Top Gear' driving. Problem is its not a brand name, and as long as you do not copy someones design you should be ok. Last thing you want either is being called the same as someone else. I wonder how may 'Adi Soms' there are.

4. What percentage will I get hit for, taxwise? so I know roughly what to put aside.

15% is a good indicator. Thats the gross earnings, not less deductions. You could even allow a little more for sick days or holidays

5. How much should I be looking at to get dual controls fitted?

Not sure. Included in contract hire. If your thinking of changing vehicles you may want to consider this.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 05-12-06 18:19:54

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Hard to believe, but the people at your local tax office really are helpful when you start up. If you ask them, there will be courses and seminars available to you at no cost to yourself.  They will tell you all you need to know about setting up and what your obligations are.

I registered mine as a ltd company.  Only because I like the name and did not want anyone else to use it.  I actually operate as a sole trader though. You could go the reg trade mark route, but it is expensive and by no means certain.  I've also got all of the relevant domain names.  .Com .uk .net  .EU.  If I'd only had the domains and not the ltd, then someone could have set up as "Come drive with me ltd" and stopped me from using the name.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 07-01-07 10:33:02

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...is signage even a word??...

According to "Word Web" it's a word. I have the free version of their program and it's geat - see http://wordweb.info/free/

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 23-01-07 20:56:37

darren030971
Verified Member

Just on the tax side of things - at the end of your first year you will be expected to pay last years tax in full AND 50% of next years tax aswell!
You then continue to pay your tax for the year ahed in 6 monthly installments.

#10 01-02-07 20:42:54

darren030971
Verified Member

Er, Dimmy, you start by saying that I was wrong to say that you pay next years tax in advance and yet you then go on to explain how you do in fact pay next years tax in advance, it just happens to be estimated on last years figures.

#11 05-02-07 16:55:35

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Don't forget Public liability and professional indemnity insurance. Liability covers damage to persons or property which is due to your business and not a car accident. Indemnity is for professional mistakes you might make as a business person.

You have a certain amount with your car insurance but with most it only covers you when you have a car accident not for all other aspects of your business. The cover provided by the DIA is good value at about £15 a quarter. Wherever you buy it remember you are personably liable (all your assets are grabbable) for any claim in this no win no fee culture unless you are a limited company.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#12 09-02-07 22:25:55

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

hey bully306,

Get in touch with your local business link/business eye, they are government funded people who help new business start ups, usually setup for a specific area of the country.  They were really good, had 1 full day and one half day courses to do with business start up.  Then had a one-to-one business planning meeting. 

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/

Hope this helps.  Interesting posts from everyone else too btw

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#13 10-02-07 07:20:42

kev elliott

from the tax seminar i went on this week a top tip from them is no matter when you start your bussiness it will make things a lot eaasier for you if you align your self to the tax year.

The first years of accounting period can be less than 1 year to do this.

Board footer