You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-07 21:19:20

iendicott
Verified Member

First Real Pupil

Well got my Trainee Licence at the start of last week and have my first real pupil a week on Sunday.

Went out with my ADI sponsor today for 2 of his lessons to see his training methods. I sat in the back and wrote down all the faults the pupil was committing, It was fairly easy but then again I wasn't the one in the front of the car also concentrating on the road at the same time and also trying to correct any faults the pups made.

I am taking one of the pups out next week that my ADI taught today which is great as it shows me that the trainer trusts me enough with not only his car but one of his students, I just hope I do him proud.

I also have a nooby student starting in march who is just turning 17 so it is a great opportunity for me to take someone from 0 to pass hopefully, he has book in for a 2 hour lesson.

So as this is taking me out of my comfort zone I feel a little worried about taking someone on the road that is green so to speak. Are there any hints and tips that people can give me ?

My trainer tells me just remember that he is going to be more nervous then me but I am still a little apprehensive.

For the moving off and stopping, if I gauge them at the first corner and if they struggle would it be an issue if I help them with the clutch and brake and just get them used to steering ?

Thanks Ivan

Part 1 : 99% / 59 Passed 1st time
Part 2 : 2 Minors / Passed 1st time
Part 3 : 3rd attempt booked again for July.

03-02-07 21:19:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Real Pupil

#2 03-02-07 22:29:37

luchell

How is your pink licence set up to run then? Will you be using your trainers car when hes not working? How many pupils will you have? Whilst on a pink the entire point is to gain as much benefit from it as possible, you want to be sticking to how you will do things pst wise and for the part three. I am not sure what an Se would make of you teaching him to S down the road for 100 metres instead of getting him to move off into a normal driving position.

Make good use of your pink thats what its supposed to be there for. smile

#3 03-02-07 22:50:11

chasbart
Verified Member

just take it nice and slow and dont be too nervous. the pupil will pick up on this and it might make them even worse. remember they are relying on you to teach them to drive..they need confidence in themselves but foremost they need to be confident that their instructor isnt nervous.
concentrate on their cockpit drill and their POM including all round observations. get them moving and work on their foot controls, ie, accelarator, brake and probably above all clutch control.
if possible try and find a very long straight uncluttered road (easier said than done). personally i dont get them to do left/right turns until they can go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and than back down to 2nd making sure you point out the importance of coming off the gas and braking before they clutch down to select 2nd.
once they can do this than i get them to do left turns and emerging. keep going in a square doing left turns only (left turns and approach junction to turn left) and point out the importance of MSPSL.
again, once they can do this i get them to do emerging and right turns, again in a square. i know everybody doesnt do it this way but its the way i have always done it....and have had no probs.

above all good luck and stay calm and relaxed..you have passed your pt2 so you have proved you are a good driver...now transfer what you know to the pupil. its not as hard as you think.

all the best,chas

chas

#4 03-02-07 22:54:48

luchell

I  do the same as you chas, just to remind those on a pink that if they are given emerging or approaching as a pst on part 3 they will cover both right and left for that topic during the half hour, whereas in the real world it makes more sense if possible to do left emerging and approaching then right emerging and approaching then put them together. This is where you need to seperate part three and use the pink carefully from what you will do when you've got your green badge.  smile It can be a very valuable tool if it's used to it's maximum potential.

#5 03-02-07 22:58:46

chasbart
Verified Member

hayles get ya own teaching methods and stop copying mine hehehe lol

chas 8-)

chas

#6 03-02-07 23:23:06

smdtr

iendicott

As Luchell says treat the pink as training.  Use the time to develop the core competences, Q & A and be critical of your own performance on each lesson.  Make sure your student learns something and goes away believing it.  Link lessons to the PSTs.  Remember you know more than them, they are the nervous ones.

The new start,

PST 1, Phase 1 : Controls

PST 2, Phase 1 : Move Off and Stopping

Each PST Phase should take you 30 minutes

It's a 2 hour lesson treat it as 2 separate 1 hour lessons.

2nd hour recap on previous look at steering build on move off/stop and add in gears.

The new start should be easier however you may find the part trained a little more difficult because of your own nerves but REMEMBER you know more.  Teach what you know and that's part 2 aim for that and you won't go wrong.

You've been on a lesson with this pupil so you will have an idea of standard and what's next to teach.  Again try and relate it to a PST.  Be proactive fix the small things, don't let them become big things.

Hope that helps, best of luck, enjoy.

#7 03-02-07 23:27:24

chasbart
Verified Member

good advice smdtr...
and remember another thing iendicott(ivan)...practice your briefings on the pupil..perfect preparation for your pt3.

chas

chas

#8 03-02-07 23:32:32

luchell

I used to do mini psts within the 2 hour lesson, i would pick meet/cross anticipate for instance then do the half hour run through VERY beneficial, i might then pick left reverse for half hour pst session. It would be done to suit the pupils ablility as much as help me but you have to make he most of the trainee licence if you are using one. If you are left to your own devices with little structure this could be a big down fall when you head to take part three neutral After EVERY lesson i would analyse and make quick notes then on to the next pupil. Once i got home i would do a run through in my head then prepare for the next day. You should be able work through each half hour mini lesson as if you were actually taking the part three test, timing your
Recap Objective Main points Practise and Summary ALL to fit within that half hour! If you don't take the time to sort this out now you could well be in trouble later along the line. This should all be natural by the time you take part three if you really are ready for it.

Remember ROMPS

RECAP
OBJECTIVE
MAIN POINTS
PRACTICE
SUMMARY

This is the structure you should be using for every lesson you do and you wont go far wrong if you work hard enough.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 03-02-07 23:39:06

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I have only taken out 2 pupils so far (not on pink), one thing that I had to keep reminding myself was, not to get too comfortable, at one point i had my legs crossed and very relaxed, then my pupil had one of they "blond moments" and sailed right through a roundabout, luckily no one was close, and it certainly wakened me up..........

I had to make a conscious effort to have both feet "at the ready" for a while, as good as the pupil gets, you still need to be ready for the "blond moment"

P.S - sorry Blondes :evil: :evil:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#10 03-02-07 23:46:54

luchell

Yes you don't want to be sitting with your legs crossed at a crucial moment  yikes Trying to get them untied at short notice could lead to fun results  lol

#11 05-02-07 21:03:34

iendicott
Verified Member

Yes I am using my pink as a learning tool, I have put down my ADI is going to be with me teaching me for an additional 20 hours so have to also fit this in.. I will be sticking to the PST's I need to build on my core comps as advised.

#12 11-02-07 18:06:16

iendicott
Verified Member

Well took my fisrt pup out today, and it's hard work but fun. When you are instructing and watching the road it's very hard to keep an eye on whats happening all at once and I am sure I missed a few things but all good learning experience. Thanks for all the advice now need to book part 3 and get upto speed asap.

#13 11-02-07 23:45:30

Changing Directions
Verified Member
Website

Be confident. Think Positive. You are a successful Driving Instructor. If all that fails Fake it till ya make it tongue

ADI Part 1 Passed 11/09/06
ADI Part 2 Passed 30/1/07

Board footer