You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#101 20-01-07 15:54:15

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Re: The Instructor College (nationwide)

Carl, yep - def pay trainers a bit more for 2:1 (not a lot, just enough to cover the added exhaustion)!

If I was training 1:1 I'd pay up to £250 for a full (8hour) day's training. 2:1 I'd be willing to pay £150 - in my mind that would work out as reasonable value for money - the trainer gets an extra £50, I get 4 hours training and 4 hours observing and a bit of  a rest for my brain - I'm happy.

And kev - I agree with all of that.

20-01-07 15:54:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#102 20-01-07 15:54:32

Evan

In summary, the instructor is the key to your part 3 training - to a large extent it is irrelevant which organisation they represent, if they can teach and inspire you to work then you will be successful, if they cannot then you will need to have a great deal of self motivation (and help from DTT of course) to gain that success.

Kev you have echoed my sentiments on this issue to the letter. Ev

#103 20-01-07 17:48:21

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Well yes if you go on a pink tic give you extra 20 hours-of which 12 hours are in class and 8 in car-shared again so you get an extra 4 hours in car. To which my trainer scored me about a 3/3 on mock and in the end i got a 5/4 first attempt. So overall it was obviously enough for me-being that I put in the extra effort myself.

But certainly this form of training is not enough for a large percentage of trainees.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#104 21-01-07 12:20:25

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

If you learn 2 to 1, you already have your training buddy and another friend.  You can't have too many friends in any business.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#105 21-01-07 12:23:55

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Not being funny but the candidates i was training with were finding it hard to come to terms with and were in all honesty a bit of a burden. When someone couldnt do something they would tend to take up most of the lesson sorting out their faults. Im not perfect far from it but I seemed to be a little bit more prpared for the course.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#106 21-01-07 12:42:32

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

That just seems out of order. 2:1 should be a 50/50 split in the driver's seat. Don't reward the lazy sods with more time.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#107 21-01-07 14:16:06

kev elliott

That just seems out of order. 2:1 should be a 50/50 split in the driver's seat. Don't reward the lazy sods with more time.

Tim, exactly my thoughts, if they want to waste their money by not putting the work in their choice, it must not interfere with the other PDI's time to instruct. On the odd ocassion on my training when i had this happen the insructor rightly or wrongly favoured the PDI who had put the work in biasing the session towards the expected standard as he tried always to match levels ie novice with novice, test ready with test ready.

#108 21-01-07 15:39:42

Karenadi

All very well them doing this, and it can only be useful, but if they don't tell the guys in the back seat what they should be doing, then how can they be expected to know?

#109 21-01-07 16:06:42

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Preparing ahead of your course may not be particularaly usefull.  How can you prepare for something you have little knowlege of ?  You could work quite hard before you begin your training and then find that most of what you've done has been done wrong.   Before I began the training, I was under the impression that at the end of my week's part 3 training, I'd be ready for my test.  Hah!  I got that bit wrong. big_smile

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#110 21-01-07 16:52:31

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

( and sadly cannot edit posts in this forum).....

Why is that?

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#111 21-01-07 17:05:35

VandADI
Administrator

Dimmy, can you see the modify box to the right of posts?  [IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/VANDADI/modify_inline.gif[/img]

#112 21-01-07 17:13:00

Evan

Use the Modify and spellcheck Dimster you will have hours of fun. Ev ;D ;D

#113 21-01-07 17:20:25

VandADI
Administrator

Dimmy, can you see the modify button now?

#114 21-01-07 17:39:05

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I'm with you Dimmy, It's just on this thread!

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#115 21-01-07 18:08:03

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Dimmy the point of it is a 2/1 ratio is adopted by tic because it is more profitable-end of story. the benefits of sitting in the back were as good as what I could have done in the front seat. Dont get me wrong I dont hate the tic- but they are certainly not perfect.

#116 21-01-07 19:18:45

Macca
Verified Member

The only practical way to do intensive in-car training is to use 2-to-1 or indeed more. Intensive training is undoubtly more cost effective and much easier for the training company to arrange and undertake. While intensive training might be a resonable way to learn theory - skills are better taught over a period of time so that the student can practice and prepare in between sessions. Skills take time and practice to evolve.

I think you will find that it is the logistics of training so many with so few that really drives the TIC training format. 

Dimmy
I don't know of any directive from the DSA that states they recommend 2-to-1 training for part 2 or indeed Part 3 over 1-to-1. I know ORDIT in conjunction with the DSA seriously considered excluding 2-to-1 training for ORDIT members but the plus points of 2-to-1 training in the circumstances I outlined in my earlier post saved the day. It is true the DSA accept 2-to-1 training as practical training on the trainee license and you could argue it should be reduced pro-rata such that 2 hours of 2-to-1 training should only counts for 1 hour but at the moment it doesn't. So if you want to keep your costs down but meet the DSA trainee license regulations do 2-to-1.

Captainhook
So based on the posts so far on TIC part 3 training you only get 7-10 hours practicing your instructional skills out of the standard 40 hours and even if you get a trainee license (which seems an absolute must if you want any chance of passing with the TIC course) TIC only give you another 4 hours to practice your instructional skills out of the extra 20 hours provided.

#117 21-01-07 21:16:06

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

No me neither macca-all ive ever seen is it is to be a maximum of a 2:1 ratio. of which tic broke this rule once with me and took 3 of us out.

#118 22-01-07 11:36:36

Karenadi

Was often 3:1 when I was there back in 2000, but I think that was put a stop to soon after I finished.  However, it still didn't do me any harm.

#119 03-02-07 19:59:19

wiko66
Verified Member

I have found what everyone else is saying to be true, however at TIC (sidcup) all the instructors are very helpful with the part3 with additional training offered if required. But that aside I'm on a "pink" with RED and they supply thier own trainer at no extra charge, which I'm finding much more helpful than the 2:1 ratio that TIC offer.

#120 03-02-07 20:04:24

Karenadi

Now that sounds like a good deal: a personal trainer.  I reckon all franchises should offer that, within the franchise price: it'd make sense, rather than them be all take and no give.  At least you wouldn't mind paying the franchise, even if the work was a little down if you were getting something for it.

#121 03-02-07 21:06:54

Karenadi

Dimmy for some bizarre reason Red have lacked pupils since they started some 6 years ago: yet they don't have a poor reputation.  You are right though: they do seem to have a better package on offer than I've seen before.  If they can supply the work then they have it made.  Sad fact is though, at moment, they'll have a reputation for being a 'trainee' driving school: which may put potential pupils off - maybe I'm wrong.  We only have one car local to here which has appeared recently, and the only other one I've seen was when I first qualified: an instructor I trained with had it, but he gave it up after 6 weeks of not a single pupil.  Good luck to Red though.

Black is an ok colour to attract the kids: that and silver seem to be the colour to have for the youngsters.  Not for me: too common now.  Mine is nice sparkly silvery blue.

#122 04-02-07 06:25:02

wiko66
Verified Member

U're all right to a point, I did struggle a bit for pupils for a while but have plenty now, and yes the black cars do attract the youngsters, and the dirt. The franchise is very good with the free accountants and yes it does go down to just £150 after passing the part3. Even then you still get a free trainer for check tests and things. As far as I now they are getting bigger in my area with 5 cars now. We may not get a new car every 6 months like some schools, but we're starting to get the new corsa's now which get replaced after 18 months.

#123 04-02-07 21:18:31

chip
Verified Member

Quote captain hook "No me neither macca-all ive ever seen is it is to be a maximum of a 2:1 ratio. of which tic broke this rule once with me and took 3 of us out." un quote They stiil break this rule and it begs the question
why have they not been reported for this clear breach of guidelines  laugh

#124 04-02-07 22:02:34

chip
Verified Member

Perhaps money buys Power  and power breeds money and corruption :evil: say no more nod nod and a wink

#125 05-02-07 12:53:18

Macca
Verified Member

I cannot see why the Instructor College can not do 3 to 1 training if it so desires. They have not broken any rules. It is only the hours needed for a trainee license where the DSA stipulate that it should be 2 to 1 or 1 to 1. Yes if The Instructor College was on ORDIT the ORDIT rules stipulate that all training must be on a 2 to 1 or 1 to 1 basis. If you are not in ORDIT you can do as you like.

It is good to see that the Instructor College are again hoping to pass the DSA inspections and become ORDIT qualified.

ORDIT is the absolute minmum standard acceptable to the DSA before they will list you in their enquiry pack on becomming an ADI. It is no guarantee that the training you will recieve is sufficient or that it will be provided in a timely manner. It is also no assurance that the company is financially stable. Never the less TICs efforts to reach this minimum standard to train instructors has to be applauded.

Board footer