You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-01-05 19:20:10

dashdriving.com
Website

what is approaching? what is emerging?

Hi,

I've just had a call from a PDI about her taking some extra part 3 training with me before she takes her test.

She's gone through the usual scenario - spent thousands, got given a few useless handouts and been told to "memorise the pre set tests cos you'll never pass otherwise etc. etc.". All complete rubbish.

Anyway, during my conversation with her she mentioned one or two things that didn't quite seem to make sense. I quickly discovered where the problem was . . . It's something I've found time and time again and it's clearly a matter that should be resolved at part 2. She was completely confusing 'approaching' and 'emerging' and had no idea of the difference between the two. She believed, as so many do, that you had to approach a junction before you could emerge from it. In common language this would make sense - but not in 'DSA part 3 speak'

It always surprises me how many PDI's have taken and failed part 3 (or worse - passed part 3!!) without fully understanding the fundamental differences between approaching and emerging. How will they teach their pupils when they don't understand it themselves? How can an ORDIT company be so poor as to not ensure that such fundamental things are covered? It just amazes me how so many big training companies leave their students utterly confused.

Anyway, I just wondered if any other PDI's or ADI trainers had had similar experiences.

Dave Hartley
ADI trainer

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

09-01-05 19:20:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: what is approaching? what is emerging?

#2 09-01-05 19:31:31

buzdriver

aproaching should cover park cars crossings crossroads traffic lights bends hills roundabouts juctions cant think of any more. emergeing at juctions

#3 09-01-05 19:53:36

dashdriving.com
Website

Buz,

Sorry, my fault, I meant 'approaching junctions to turn left or right' and 'emerging from junctions'.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dave Hartley
AI trainer

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#4 09-01-05 20:05:25

buzdriver

dont understand what you mean now you have lost me can you explain please .

#5 09-01-05 20:46:24

dashdriving.com
Website

Buz,

I've PM'd you.

Regards,

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#6 09-01-05 22:01:48

disappointed

Hi Dave.

I was always told that 'Approaching' was when one is on a major road, turning into a minor one.

'Emerging' is the reverse, ie, turning out of a minor road into a major.

#7 09-01-05 22:06:21

dashdriving.com
Website

Dissapointed,

Absolutely correct. It just surprises me how many PDI's don't understand the difference. I've had 2 e-mails already about this posting. It's not the fault of the PDI, it's the fault of their training. I teach all learner drivers about the differences in terminology.

Dave Hartley
ADI trainer

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#8 10-01-05 07:31:55

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I teach approaching Jcts, and emerging from Jcts as 2 seperate lessons, although you do both on both lessons anyway, But the LDC system, covers approaching jcts, and emerging from quieter jcts, on the 1st of the 2 lesson subjects, then Emerging from busier jcts on the 2nd of the 2!
I find it helps a lot doing it that way.

Board footer