You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-01-07 17:08:10

Target
Verified Member
Website

Part 2 training

I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding part 2 training.

How many hours on average do you find someone needs:
1. Without a car?
2. With their own car?

Do you hire your car for practice? ( i'd need to check with my agents, but not keen on the idea, altough it could bring in some extra cash if I had no pupils )

Do you give them the car for test or go along with them?

Any other tips....I'm not looking to jump into this, and I also feel that a part 2 trainer should also deliver part 1/3, i'm hoping to push the trainer training soon and work the two together.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

25-01-07 17:08:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 training

#2 26-01-07 07:17:09

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Target

A good average would be 20-30 hrs for part 2. TO DO IT ANYTHING LIKE PROPERLY.50+ for part 3.

Just train them to pass the test you passed the other day.This gives them a chance of passing their part 2

Even the best drivers have an awfull lot to learn.The training should be done in your own vehicle normally but if they cant adapt,(which is a problem straight away)they may use their own vehicle.
You should provide a training vehicle FOC for their test (No hire charge,just normal rate) Most always seem to have unsuitable vehicles-coupes,great big estates,cabrolets,automatics.

Your insurance covers you for tuition with any driver qualified or not.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 26-01-07 11:16:27

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Hector, I underestimated how long it took to get to part 2 standard, and though it can be done in 10 hours (about how much I had, with a million hours of targetted private practise), I'm changing my 'recommendation' to 20-30hrs.

#4 26-01-07 14:33:47

Target
Verified Member
Website

Cheers! That does go with what I did for Part 2 and felt I was a pritty good driver when I started.

One more question.

Not sure I fully understand this:

You should provide a training vehicle FOC for their test (No hire charge,just normal rate)

Do you mean if I charge say £30 per hour and the client wants the car for 3 hours I charge £90?
or Do you mean NO CHARGE at all.

It only have the one car, so in theory it makes sense that I go along also. Please clarify

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#5 26-01-07 17:20:52

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I'd go with normal hourly rate, so yes 3 hours at £30/hour - £90.

I've seen a lot of instructors (seems to be a southern thing - not being southernist, but....) charging a test day fee which seems to be a lot higher than the hourly rate. Don't understand this myself.

#6 26-01-07 17:59:35

Disky
Verified Member
Website

hmmmmmmmmm

Well having just passed part 2 in Dec, heres my findings

I had just over 20 hours of training in trainers car, and lots more practice in mine

Trainer gave me HIS car for a full day to practice the day before my test F.O.C.
Paid for 1 hour before test and then cost of test hour at £25 per hour (same as training rate)

I was told i could have passed in about 15 hours, but i really wanted it, and as a trainer myself, it was more important to me to invest in proper training by a ADI Trainer, than to say,, "yer lets have a bash, if i fail i can try again..... that felt totally wrong, but i hear this quite often in the area where i am.

All in all, i thought my trainer not only trained me, but helped me to acheive what we BOTH wanted, that was a first time pass, he then told me that he has never had a part 2 go for a 2nd test, all have managed to pass 1st time (so far, cant last forever tho) but ALL IN ALL, A GOOD BLOKE, AND THATS WHAT I ASPIRE TO BE..

"failure is not an option", thats my quote of the day smile

regards
Ray

#7 26-01-07 18:57:50

hector
Verified Member
Website

I couldnt afford to let someone have vehicle day before! But thats commitment from a trainer alright! Just shows the extra mile many independants will go.

Target just charge your normal hourly rate, sit in if they want.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#8 19-04-07 16:00:25

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yeah I would agree 20 hours for part 2 at least. I had about 10 with tic and did loads of private practice and I strugled with part 2 and messed it up a couple of times.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#9 21-04-07 09:30:45

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

This is the way I work it and it does work smile

Each of mine have 5 x 2hrs sessions where I point them to what practice they will need to do and what standard they need to achieve before booking each of the next sessions. The practice that really becomes their normal drive is done in their car and they do the test in their car (normally)

IF they need further hours in my opinion then they get them. A few do go to 14 or 16 hours. In the event of a fail (not too many fail) then remedial sessions are booked to suit but as they were ready anyway they are never too far from a pass.

The big issue (is there a pun there?) is the practice between sessions. If someone drives for a living say 8hrs a day they feel they only need to practice for 1 hr driving like a numpty the other 7hrs........ and I am being generous here

Anyway it works for me albeit I am NOT independent. I set asatdard in the sessions and they achieve it with practice then we further develop it in the sessions while introducing the next standard.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#10 21-04-07 10:50:21

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

When of course we shoul drive to that standard all the time-not to just pass part 2 big_smile

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#11 24-04-07 21:23:16

smdtr

My 1st part 2 client passed, whoopeeee!!

#12 26-04-07 11:50:00

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Well done-was it a first time pass.

#13 26-04-07 14:39:09

smdtr

Cheers Captain

Yes 1st time pass, feels a bit like being a rookie again!

#14 26-04-07 15:29:43

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Now comes the fun!!!!

#15 27-02-08 09:24:27

hilary
Verified Member

Hector wrote - 'A good average would be 20-30 hrs for part 2.'

I had about 5 hours myself. I just wondered what your teaching structure would be to take so many hours?

#16 27-02-08 13:02:51

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Hilary

Vehicle safety and checks/mechanical principles
The cockpit drill
Moving off/stopping safely/safe places to stop
Use of gears
Use of ancillary controls
MSM routine/ arm signals
Emergency stop high speed
Dealing with all types of junctions including T, crossroads, traffic lights, Y, slip roads, roundabouts. Unmarked junctions
Pedestrian crossings
One-way systems
Dual carriageways/motorways
Urban/rural roads
Bus lanes/tram lanes
Level crossings
Speed limits/appropriate speed/use of speed
Safe cornering techniques
Speed limits and reading the road
All reversing manoeuvres
When you master all this we lead onto:

Advanced driving techniques
Defensive driving
DSA/other advanced driving methods
Anticipation and planning
Scanning areas
Commentary driving
Leading to:

Taking a mock test
Taking your Diamond advanced driving test
Taking your part 2 driving test
Taking the Cardington/diamond special test

Due to the high standards, involved training hours would normally average between 10 – 25 hours.

This training sets the basis for your part 3 instruction. In addition to this training, you must carry out approx 4 hours private practice per hours training.

Also during your part 2 training, we commence with part 3 training. For instance delivering clear route directions, watching your pupil, watching how I instruct you. Most of the larger training companies aim to get you through part 2 in 2 - 5 hours!

Nigel

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 28-02-08 12:59:07

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Commentary driving

for my part 2 test I done commentary(I had not long done Rospa Dip) but not sure its necessary to teach it for pt2 alone, yes if you are going to carry on with pupil for pt3, it gets them used to "talking" out loud in the car...

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

Board footer