You are not logged in.

#1 23-03-04 10:30:06

markyboy

HI ALL , PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Hi everyone , found this site by accident yesterday and am finding it to be very informative. I have been considering a career as an ADI for quite a while now and up until yesterday my biggest fears were the leap from a mind-numbingly boring (but safe) job to a new career and the spending of £2k of my hard-earned, yet-to-borrow cash.
I now have come to the conclusion that Part 3 is a sweaty-palms event with only 30% passing it first time and you only get 3 chances before you lose your cash , lets face it , who has a spare £2k to throw away. Could this be the reason there is a supposed shortage of driving instructors ?
Anyway after some research on the net my shortlist is LDC which is my most favourable so far and The Instructor College/Edinburgh (which iam still waiting for a reply)
How hard is it to sit the course and do a full time job ?
And keep the wife happy !       (if thats possible)
Would welcome any info which will point me in the right direction.  :?
Keep up the great site.

Markyboy

23-03-04 10:30:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HI ALL , PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

#2 23-03-04 10:41:10

Folk

Welcome to the site Markyboy!!!

I'm sure our great instructors on this site will be able to give you all the information (and more) that you need so keep watching this space.

Folk smile

#3 23-03-04 11:20:51

jonks

Hi markyboy, Welcome to the site!

I have moved your post to the "Becoming a driving instructor" section of the site, as more people will see your post here and you will get more help and advice  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 23-03-04 12:03:35

Liesa

Hi Markyboy

Welcome aboard you wrote

How hard is it to sit the course and do a full time job ?
And keep the wife happy ! (if thats possible)

Most courses will fit in easily around your full time commitments, just make sure that you, make the trainers aware of what your personal circumstances are before you sign up. If they're not prepared to fit around you then go elsewhere, after all you're the paying customer!

Anyway good luck with the training if you decide to go ahead, and remember we're here to help, I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon! big_smile

#5 24-03-04 12:53:43

DAVE-ADI

There isn't a shortage of instructors Marky, despite what the adverts try to make you believe.
It's a very competitive market.

If you start on a franchise they will get you the business, but then you are working two thirds of the week (at least) for them, so don't believe the claims about huge income either.

I'm not trying to put you off,  just making sure you are aware of the reality.

To save money at the beginning, do part one yourself.  If you are committed enough it's fairly easy, with plenty of study.

#6 24-03-04 14:57:27

markyboy

Thanks for the info. guys.
Dave , i'm a bit confused when you say that if you start on a franchise you're working two-thirds of the week for them , my understanding of the LDC deal is a one-off fee equal to the lesson price and all subsequent fees paid direct to you except in the case of block bookings where they reckon its about 25% fees ( this is taking me back to my Bettaware days - what did they call it again ......... Pyramid selling !!!!!!!! )
Also all self-generated pupils are fee-free. Are they clouding the truth to a certain extent ?
Agree with you about part 1 of the test but LDC quote " if you are joining us as a newly qualified instructor having trained with us and provided you rent one of our cars this fee is waived "  ( £350 induction fee )
Does this mean ALL the training as in 1,2 and 3 ?
Know that it wont be easy starting out at first but is it THAT difficult.

Many Thanks

Marky

#7 24-03-04 15:25:55

Liesa

Hi Marky

Franchises vary considerably from one school to another, In my area I know of one school that only charges £55 per week, whilst others will charge anything upto £300 plus. The best thing to do is shop around and get the best deal that suits you.

When I first started out I worked for a driving school under a franchise. I was actually an owner driver, which means that you provide your own vehicle and insurance, but they do the rest for you. It came at a reduced rate but still cost me, about £100 a week up untill I left 2.5 years ago.

One of our other members posted something about the LDC franchise, and from what I remember it seems to be very reasonable.

If anyone is currently working for LDC, can they please advise on what the current franchise details are, just to clear this up?

Just have a look at the link below, it takes you through to a post by one of our LDC members!

http://iseekhere.com/learn2driveforum/v … ight=#1085

#8 25-03-04 17:26:09

Jocelyn
Verified Member
Website

Hi Marky,

I studied with and qualified with LDC and have a franchise with them at the moment.

I think they are a bit different to other franchise arrangements as they encourage you to be fairly independent of them.

At the moment I pay £22 per week which entitles me to use their logos/decals be included on their website where I have been able to put my own web page and get a big box of their Driving Skills Books which act a s pupils log books.  They are on the end of the phone if I need any help and advice ie for my check test, or any other problems I may have!!!

If I want they will find leaners for me which I have to pay them for, the scale of charges varies depending on what the learner books, so if a learner books just one lesson with them I do that for free but any other lessons that learner books through me I keep it all!  For a full course the fee to the office is more.

I provide my own car but they do excellent deals on Corsas (about 25% off the market price for a new one) plus you can rent from them if you wish.  I choose not to as the Corsa gives me back ache!!!!!

I like being with them, when I started up most of my work came from the office, at the moment I am fully booked with all of my learners being self generated.  I keep full control of my diary and can work as much or as little as I want and when I want.

If you are interested ring for a leaflet 0800 400 777 but one word of warning, when looking at the potential earnings I think the number of hours they say you can work per week is rather high.....well it is for me stuck out in the countryside with a fair distance to travel between each lesson.

Sorry I've rambled on a bit but hope it helps!!!!!

Jocelyn

#9 25-03-04 19:19:37

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi

i'm with LDC and agree with all said above

Ldc did not let me down on the training side they are there to help all the way and no pressure to take a francise unless you want to at the end.

#10 26-03-04 13:52:54

markyboy

Thanks Guys , very helpful advice , can i just ask that when they say if you do your training with them and rent a car from them they will waive the £350 induction fee , does this mean that you must do ALL the training with them ie. parts 1,2 and 3 and pay the full amount of £1900 , to get this benefit ?
How long did it roughly take from start to finishing the course ?

Many thanks

Marky

#11 26-03-04 17:47:19

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi marky

I took about 18 months part time to complete the training but you can do it at the speed to suit you.

I think the induction fee is for someone who trained with another  company then joins LDC you don't pay the the induction fee if do all your training with LDC and take a frnchise up with LDC
You go to Pontefract for a few days to learn how the fracise works etc and get a big box of goodies

I hope this right it was a while ago when i went if i'm wrong some one will put me right

Board footer