You are not logged in.

#1 08-01-07 19:12:21

COXDRIVINGSCHOOL
Verified Member
Website

Check Test

Hi,

I have my Check Test coming up and would like some advice.

The pupil I will be taking on the Check Test is test ready.  Her weaknesses are reverse left and reverse parking.

On a normal lesson I would probably get her to practice both maneuvers.  Will this be OK for the Check Test or should I just concentrate on one maneuver for the Check Test.

Many thanks,

Kevin Cox.  smile

08-01-07 19:12:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-01-07 20:42:33

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi

SE's usually prefer someone who requires some driver training, rather than some one who is at test standard. I would concentrate on one task rather than two.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#3 08-01-07 22:55:01

Karenadi

They usually say they need to see that 'some learning has taken place', so best to make sure your pupil learns something new, or certainly achieves a pre set objective.

#4 09-01-07 08:46:16

LeanneADI
Verified Member

try to take someone with very little experience so that you have to do lots of teaching.

Thats what the examiner wants to see at the end of the day is teaching.

Leanne

#5 09-01-07 21:12:16

ams
Verified Member

Agree with previous contributors but would question taking some one with very little experience. Yes, the examiner wants to see teaching taking place but a fairly 'raw' learner can be a little too unpredictable. I would choose a pupil I knew reasonaly well - therefore had a good understanding of the kind of things they are likely or not likely to do. You dont want too many surprises with the SE watching over your shoulder. Concentrate on one subject. Think when we spoke in the chat room that you were wondering wether to do 1 or 2 manoeuvres? You could focus the learning on a skill rather than a subject/manoeuvre and then use one or more manoeuvres, with increasing difficulty, to teach and test the learning that has been acheived.

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#6 09-01-07 23:05:04

c-way
Verified Member
Website

The advice I was given was to take a reasonable pupil where we could definitely develop their learning with clear objectives in mind but be prepared to change objectives and lesson plan if another fault cropped up. 

A friend of mine concentrated on one manoeuvre for their check test and consquently was scored lower than they hoped for on the basis that a full hours tuition would not normally be based purely on one element when the learning had taken place or that wasn't going to!

As per normal lesson, good tuition and value for money, clear re-cap, objectives, good Q&A core comps throughout, praise and encouragement, and a good summary at the end setting objectives for next lesson. 

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#7 10-01-07 08:18:09

LeanneADI
Verified Member

I took someone who i knew fairly well.  She interacted well with me etc. Problem was i overlooked particular little mistakes that i knew could be fixed another lesson.  This was my downfall on my first check test.

I know you think you will give yourself an easier ride having someone that drives well.  But then what do you have to fix??

If your not seen teaching and improving the driving skills you cant be marked well for it.  This was the advice i was given from my check test.

Dont forget to abandon your plan if its not working and everything else is going bad.  Pupils tend to get nervous and do silly things-  no matter how many times you tell them you are being watched not them.

Leanne

#8 10-01-07 23:00:48

COXDRIVINGSCHOOL
Verified Member
Website

Hi all,

I have now done my check test.  Was taken on 9/1/07.

On the day I did a lesson on Reverse Parking.  Did not need to worry about doing Reverse Left as on the way to practice the Reverse Park my pupil had problems on emerging from T-junctions so I changed lesson plan slightly and did a recap lesson on emerging from T-junction especially closed ones which she had the most difficulty with.  Once I had sorted that problem out we went on to do the Reverse Park.

At the end of the Check Test I was graded a 4 which I am reasonably pleased with.  The SE told me that I was close to a grade 5 but overinstructed too much on the drive to and from the Reverse Park which pushed me down to a grade 4. sad

Pleased to get it over with and after the good advice from the SE am looking forward to next Check Test where I will hopefully get a grade 5 or even a 6.   big_smile

Thanks for all the advice.

Kevin. smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 10-01-07 23:07:02

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Our SE has a bit of a reputation for not really liking manouvres.  Most people seem to do roundabouts or cross roads down here.

Pleased to get it over with and after the good advice from the SE am looking forward to next Check Test where I will hopefully get a grade 5 or even a 6.

Looking forward to a check test!  You're alright are you?

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#10 11-01-07 22:03:04

Karenadi

Well done: bit of peace for a few years now then.

Board footer