You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-01-07 23:36:11

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

onboard cameras

My company received 10 new LGV's a few years ago now, they had reversing cameras fitted, but would only activate in reverse gear, I asked if the cameras could be fitted to 1st gear which is a crawler and only takes you to about 5mph, i was told this was illegal, you are NOT allowed a camera to be activated when driving forward. OK, I accepted this as i thought it to be true at the time, NOW we have had the delivery of a new Iveco Strallis which has the camera on all the time, neutral, forward and of course reverse.

SO!!!!!!!! I asked the question today, "can we now activate the rest of the fleet cameras to be on whilst driving forward?" NO was the reply, the Strallis has a camera fitted for rear vision, your vehicle has a reversing camera....................... are they NOT the same? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all in all, I know the recent push for sat navs has allowed a "screen" in the cab/car, so if we can now watch a sat nav map, or a rear view camera whilst moving forward, why cant we watch "Richard & Judy" or the "footy"?

any views on this will be helpfull, I think my fleet manager has fecked up, and I would SOOoooooooo Love to tell him so :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

09-01-07 23:36:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: onboard cameras

#2 10-01-07 07:18:51

ExAdiNigel

What would the difference be in having a rear view camera to having a rear view mirror?

I should imagine a camera set up for reversing could be angled lower than one designed to give a 'rear view' as per an internal mirror.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 10-01-07 22:43:58

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I love the use of any rear view enhancements, its just that WE were told it was illegal to drive in a forward motion with a screen on that was designed for reversing, NOW, we have a screen on all the time even when driving forward.
I feel It could be seen as a distraction in forward motion(theres no real need for it) rather than an aid for reversing, but then the same could be said for Sat Navs................

Driver CPC Trainer

#4 10-01-07 22:52:47

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The trucks I drive have reversing cameras.  The screens come on when Reverse gear is selected.  The screens can be switched on indepenently though.  When they are swiched on It's only like having an extra mirror really.  They aren't much good for reversing accuratley as they have a very wide angle and don't point quite where you would want them to.  But they are ideal for reversing onto a loading bay or just for making sure you don't touch the lorry on the next bay.  They also have a microphone on the cameras so you can hear anyone calling you back. 

It is illeagal to have a screen switched on when travelling forward though.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 10-01-07 22:56:46

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

It is illeagal to have a screen switched on when travelling forward though.

How do you know this and do you know anywhere this is stated or written down?, I have the same interpritation as you, BUT, have been told by my smart asssss Transport manager that I am wrong and HE is right, and as said above, i would love to prove him wrong as i feel i am right...................

any help would be appreciated

Driver CPC Trainer

#6 10-01-07 23:01:38

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I would have a look at the road traffic act.  Type it in your search engine.  It'll be there somewere.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#7 14-01-07 03:11:29

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I have looked at the RTA and cant find a definitive answer, would appreciate any other advice....................

Driver CPC Trainer

#8 14-01-07 11:58:57

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Dunno if this has changed but when I was trucking the law said it was illegal to watch a `cathode ray tube` (probably spelt wrong) whilst driving.
Anyone got the appropriate regs to hand?

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#9 14-01-07 13:21:09

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

HI DIMMY, nice reply, but as usual with these things you need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to read them :evil: :evil:
i think cameras at the rear of the vehicle with the screen in the cab are great for maneuvering and reversing, but can be a distraction whilst moving forward and i dont see any need for them to be on when moving forward either.

they are also great when you have some knumbnut that has came close behind you and starts blasting the horn when you start to reverse, I love taking the lorry right up to their bumper to frighten the **** out of them.......................

Driver CPC Trainer

#10 14-01-07 13:55:17

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

when we first got the camera fitted 5/6 years ago, they tended to be a disstraction and some drivers only used the camera to reverse, with the outcome of clipping the end corner posts, now that we are used to them they are fine.........

I would rather have them than not

Driver CPC Trainer

#11 14-01-07 15:43:38

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
A lot of coaches are also using these in order to have a view of what is directly behind, remeber those signs on the backs of LGVs and PSVs "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you".

In fact I know an instructor who has fitted one of these cameras in the rear window of his caravan, it facilitates manoeuvring and replaces the central mirror for when he is driving forward.

Make sure that it is set for "Mirror" view when driving forward otherwise the view won't match what you would expect.

#12 14-01-07 18:31:53

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

A great idea for a caravan!

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

Board footer