You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:12:12

jonks

Vauxhall Astra

Do you use a Vauxhall Astra?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:12:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Vauxhall Astra

#2 18-06-06 14:13:34

jonks

Vauxhall Astra

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#3 30-12-06 17:03:16

Ash Man
Website

I Use this car. 1.3 CDTi life. Find the car much better than the Corsa and Fiesta cars that I have had in the passed.
My only fault is not the car but the engine size I chose. I do belive a larger engine 1.7 CDTi would be benificial to students. Due to power to weight. With this said still belive it to be a good car for the work it has to do.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 30-12-06 17:55:35

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

TIC use Astras for Instructor training.  A nice car but the engine is very quiet.  No probs for the experienced driver but not much help for the learner listening for the bite of the clutch.  Indicator stalk is a bit fiddly. 

If you push up but not as far as a click, it will flash 3 times then go off.  If you push up all the way and then have to switch it off, you push the stalk the same way.  OK once you are use to it, but I think a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#5 30-12-06 23:33:04

Ash Man
Website

As a training car I personally find it good in all aspects, less the indicator for the experianced drivers. As stated before in this section. for the new driver the indicator does not feture as a problem (it's all they know).

Performance and userability are good for the short stout and the tall. Good stearing wheel and seat ajustment see to this.

#6 31-12-06 09:05:16

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Maybe there is a bit more engine sound in the deisels.  I think that TIC are using 1.8 petrol.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#7 31-12-06 11:08:07

gumboots
Verified Member

Hi,
I am looking at using my wife's 1.8 Astra as a stopgap car until I pass part 3. As it's only a temporary measure, I was wondering what, if any, damage is left when the duals are removed. I don't want to drop the value of the car for the sake of a couple of months as a practice vehicle. Anybody know?

Part 1 - 1st July 8:30 - 96% & 65 smile
Part 2 - 5th December 8:45 3 x Driving

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

#8 31-12-06 12:43:09

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The dammage is done when they put the duals in.  In my car they cut away quite a bit of insulation around the footwells.  Once the duals are removed, it may be posible to replace it, but I wouldn't bet on it. 
If you do a lot of work in the car, the mileage will increase by an alarming amount, as far as it's value is concerned.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#9 31-12-06 13:05:35

gumboots
Verified Member

Thanks for the info Chris.

As I say I just want to use it for a couple of months and since it's actually v.low mileage for the year, the extra miles shouldn't have much impact. Not sure OH will be happy with the idea of 'residual damage' though.

#10 01-01-07 02:04:55

Ash Man
Website

Ref the dammage. As long as you use a relable person/company There will be minimal damage to the car. Some of the sound proffing will have to be permanently be removed other than that no dammage/or little Noticeable dammage will be occured.

#11 01-01-07 11:58:38

gumboots
Verified Member

Thanks for the update Ash Man.

I thought that might be the case but was sure plenty of people here had experienced it. I will definitely be using a reliable person/company rather than a bodger who may not be 'too careful' with the installation.

#12 01-01-07 12:04:10

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Yes i agree with most things good car bad indicator stick and there is no view to the rear. but lovely drive.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 01-01-07 21:15:14

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I thought that might be the case but was sure plenty of people here had experienced it. I will definitely be using a reliable person/company rather than a bodger who may not be 'too careful' with the installation.

I have He-man Duals fitted.
I had the work done by City Motors, based in Cardiff.  They are a very reputable company and the work done is to a very high standard.  To fix the connecting rods securly to the bulk head, the insulation has to be cut away.   The controlls are installed to He-man's specs and instructions.  Unfortunatley, you can't make an omlet without breaking eggs.  When they are removed there will be some insulation missing although it will not be obvious unless you go looking for it.  You do however notice the foot well is a bit colder than it would otherwise be.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#14 01-01-07 21:31:33

gumboots
Verified Member

Thanks Chris,

Cold footwell! And the one year when I didn't get socks for Christmas. lol

I think I'll go ahead and try to find a good fitter around Merseyside. There are a few to be found but if anybody can recommend an installer I'm all ears.

David

#15 01-01-07 21:37:20

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I'd ring He-man and see who they are supplying in that area.  You'll probably find most dealers are using the same fittters.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#16 03-01-07 17:35:12

MagicPants
Verified Member

I teach using a 1.3 tdi Life. Love it. Unbelievable torque for a 1.3 diesel and have great fun driving it when my signs are off  :evil:

Bad bits:

As stated - Indicator stalks - WHAT WERE THEY THINKNING??? :?

Wing mirrors - as soon as it rains they attact water like some sort of elctromagnetic water attracting thing, and become useless.

Handbrake - a bit crap.

Stu

#17 03-01-07 21:38:45

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Does it have heated mirrors.  They may not be that obvious.  Mondeos for example come on with heated windows.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 03-01-07 22:46:05

Ash Man
Website

I teach using a 1.3 tdi Life. Love it. Unbelievable torque for a 1.3 diesel and have great fun driving it when my signs are off  :evil:

Bad bits:

As stated - Indicator stalks - WHAT WERE THEY THINKNING??? :?

Wing mirrors - as soon as it rains they attact water like some sort of elctromagnetic water attracting thing, and become useless.

Handbrake - a bit crap.

Stu

Wing mirrows Use the heaters cures that Quite quickly (same on most cars).:-
Handbrake. See a Mechanic Compared to other cars its great. Not had a problem or complaint with that on my car and it is also the 1.3 cdti wink
Holds very well! smile

Board footer