You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-04 00:23:52

pageant

Ref points

Following on from your argument skier, I take it you also refuse to use ref points for manoeuvres? God knows how long it would take some of my pupils if I didn't use those. I always remove rear head restraints as soon as I take on a new vehicle. Its not even an issue. A more bizarre argument on this forum I have yet to hear. Is it April 1st already?.......

19-03-04 00:23:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Ref points

#2 19-03-04 21:08:06

skier

Multi coloured dots and spots like confetti on the back windows ? Never, never, never.

Wing mirror to wing mirror at 99.9 millimetres distance and tail light here, quarter light there, and then headlights there ? Never, never.

Then there are those ADIs who get out the set squares, protractors, sextants, compasses, and GPS, before final calculation using logorithmmmsss.

Have you asked DSA examiners what they think about reference points ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-03-04 18:36:57

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I dont use anything like dots, Marks on the window either.

But i have asked my S/E about refrence points and been told 'of course you should use them'

my trainer said the same, and many other instructors i know.

At the end of the day, Each to there own. What one may find best others may not .

regards

#4 22-03-04 19:01:34

Bob_FOADS

As with most aspects of driving, Ref points are handy for some pupils and no use to others. Stickers on windows is a little OTT in my opinion but I have drawn on windows (dry wipe pen) to make a point.

I find that using ref points helps the learner get it right first time (confidence boost). Then most of them tend to forget the points and make it up as they go along. Which (assuming it goes ok) is what we're looking for really.

I do also tned to say 'I don't care how you do it as long as you... <insert specific requirement for the manover>'.
Or, Stand on your left ear singing 'she'll be comeing round the mountain when she comes' as long as you... <insert specific requirement again>'.

#5 22-03-04 19:13:48

Cheddar
Verified Member
Website

Yet again skier takes things too far!  yikes

Reference points are useful when required.  I always teach pupils and PDI's the principle of the exercise first, and some of them may find difficulty unless they use a method, so I may tell them some basic things to look for.

Multi coloured dots and spots like confetti on the back windows ?
For once we agree, skier.  You should never tell your client where the kerb is (or whatever point you're using) - always ASK.  Everyone is a different size and has different seating positions, hence their reference points may vary.  PDI's and ADI's with deliberate marker points on their windows want shooting (in my opinion) :evil:

Wing mirror to wing mirror at 99.9 millimetres distance
Not heard that one skier?!  I'm pretty sure that a gap of less than 10cm between the wing mirrors would made the manoeuvre extremely difficult anyway!  :?

Then there are those ADIs who get out the set squares, protractors, sextants, compasses, and GPS, before final calculation using logorithmmmsss
Is this true? Surely not!  Methinks you are exaggerating ever so slightly  big_smile

Have you asked DSA examiners what they think about reference points ?
Yes, I have spoken with many SEADI's on many occasions.  And they have all supported my viewpoint made above.  Teach them the principle first, and if they struggle with doing the manoeuvre instinctively, give them a hand!  But as I said before, ASK them to make their own reference point, e.g. ask them where they can see the kerb, etc.

Even though most of us experienced drivers seem to do things 'instinctively', most of us actually subconsciously use our own reference points.  Driving skill and ability to manoeuvre the vehicle accurately is learned over a long period of time, and we all had to start with subtle reference points at some time!  Don't try telling me that you don't occasionally glance at the kerb line on your bonnet when you're pulling up   roll

We weren't born fantastic drivers wink

Ged

Active Driving Solutions
Ged Wilmot & Claire Wilmot - Highly Qualified & Experienced ADI Trainers (Grade 6)

DSA ORDIT Approved ADI Training & Development

We also provide ADI Train the Trainer Courses, ORDIT Registration Guidance,
Fleet & Corporate Driver Development, SAFED for Vans, Advanced Driver Training, and more.

Visit our website:  www.activedrivingsolutions.com

Board footer