You are not logged in.

#1 12-12-06 20:08:27

Carl

Got an assessment lesson tomorrow

After being an ADI for more than 8 years and working mainly with learner drivers, I've decided that I need a change. I'm a grade 5 (April 2005) and a RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver.

For the last couple of months I've not been entirely happy with my teaching technique. Don't get me wrong, I get the job done and have a good success rate, I just feel that something isn't right.

So, last week I contacted a highly respeced ADI trainer (amongst other things) and he has agreed to give me an instructing assessment to find out what he feels my weak areas are. Hopefully it will give me something to work on with a view to move in to other areas of driver training (fleet or ADI training next). He also runs a one-week ADI trainers course but it costs £500 per day - too rich for me at the moment. I'm meeting him at 2:30 tomorrow and by the end of the 2 hours I hope to have some constructive advice to get me back on track.

Carl

12-12-06 20:08:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Got an assessment lesson tomorrow

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-12-06 22:02:28

Target
Verified Member
Website

Carl seems a very good way to go.

£500 seems a little steep, how is that justified, theres me thinking £250 per day with the DIA trainers was expensive.

I'll be heading there next year. ( works been picking up so I can clear my debts ready to go into debt again with extra training). Sounds great!!!. I know I do a good job, and my methods are alot better than most but theres something missing sometimes.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 13-12-06 19:24:43

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Good luck Carl, very sensible thing for all of us to do - I got a hell of a shock last time I did this!

I went thinking I was pretty good, so took no resources or anything, wanted to be at my weakest, to find out what I needed to work on.

We certainly found some weaknesses - next time I'm taking my resources!

£500 a day does seem steep though!

#4 13-12-06 19:36:39

Carl

Well, that's done and dusted and all I can say is "Wow, that was well worth the £50".

I took copies of my last 3 check tests and the summary results from my last 29 tests, that way he had some idea of my weaknesses. We done a short session on hesitation at roundabouts (one I knew was a problem, even on my advanced test) and the other was to do with mirror usage. He told me the way he taught it and the kind of things he looked for and it made a lot of sense, so I'll be changing the way I do things.

He did say that I have a lot of knowledge in my head but am a little too wordy trying to get the point across (tend to waffle unnecessarily). He also picked up that I need to be more specific with my instruction, rather than just say "Check the mirrors", specify which ones and why. He did say that I'm very relaxed and have a good approach. I even spotted a couple of mistakes he made when I wasn't even in instructor mode (no signal when turning left at a roundabout). We just joked about it.

All-in-all that was well worth it and I'll look to do another in the New Year. Can't really afford it at the moment, the way lessons are being cancelled (another 2 hours cancelled tomorrow). Would highly recommend anyone to get an instructional assessment if they unsure of their teaching skills.

Carl

#5 07-01-07 00:21:34

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

So was it £50 or £500

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 08-01-07 12:17:40

Carl

So was it £50 or £500

That was just a 2-hour assessment for £50. If I wanted to train to become an ADI trainer, it would be £500 per day for 5 days. I'm seriously considering it but the finances are depleated at the moment.

Carl

#7 08-01-07 12:27:40

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

£2500 to become an adi trainer. WOW. Why not just join one of the large companies for a year get your training free have a good wage in the process and then leave and go indy.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 08-01-07 13:51:55

Carl

£2500 to become an adi trainer. WOW. Why not just join one of the large companies for a year get your training free have a good wage in the process and then leave and go indy.

I did think about something like that with the AA and LDC but they have contracts that state that if you leave within a certain period after being trained, you will be required to pay for the training. And besides, imagine paying AA £185 per week just to become a trainer. I could have paid for a course 5 times over. There is a place up in Leeds (Aim Instructor Training) that does 1-week courses for a little over £1,000. May look at these when I'm ready.

Carl

#9 08-01-07 20:21:18

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Carl why would you want to pay £500.00 per day for any training!

As for joining the AA or LDC, they wont just take any ADI on to do it otherwise 20,000 would be queing up! They will charge for training as any other organisation.

Would anyone advise learning to drive in one week? No! so why learn to be a trainer in an impossibly short time!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#10 08-01-07 20:29:07

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

The AA wont charge for training-its is free except for the cost of accomodation. but of course you need to become an adi with them and then apply to become a trainer and have to be accepted.
Companies like TIC will take you on and train you free of charge as well.

#11 08-01-07 21:58:55

hector
Verified Member
Website

TIC and AA instructor trainers where did you hear that!

Seriously not. Someone who cant do the job themselves cant train others to do the job!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#12 08-01-07 23:06:16

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Sorry hector maybe you misunderstood me-or maybe you didnt were you saying thesecompanies are c r a p. or did you think i meant something else LOL.

#13 08-01-07 23:36:01

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Yep, I wouldn't do a 'become a driving instructor trainer in 5 days' course. And wouldn't trust one either, I know some excellent trainers who are highly qualified and are extremely good at their job who offer these, but....like hector says - even the best ADI wouldn't say this to a learner. Take it at your own pace.

#14 08-01-07 23:41:39

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Im confused now tim lol

#15 08-01-07 23:57:16

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

#16 09-01-07 00:18:31

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

LOL YOU. I was looking at fleet training. Then i sa you have to go through all the exams again. LOL

#17 09-01-07 07:31:56

Carl

LOL YOU. I was looking at fleet training. Then i sa you have to go through all the exams again. LOL

I was looking at fleet too, got the information pack from the DSA but don't really know where to start. Same as instructor training really. I don't want to do it in a week, but it's knowing how to go about getting started.

Carl

#18 09-01-07 07:44:21

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Check out hectors website. basically you will have to take all the exams again. part 1 same but diff questions and is a written paper not on a pc. part 2 to within 4 minors. Part 3 more coaching abilities including giving a demonstration with flip charts and driver risk assesment from what i can make out. it wont cost as much as the adi. Bout £1000 including the exams. Not sure if you still only get 3 attempts though.

#19 09-01-07 22:11:37

hector
Verified Member
Website

Captain confusion abound!

Ill need to modify my website! You dont have to pay extra for the exams, that is included in the course cost!
The exams are done in house, Think  Validation of the course not DSA exams. The total cost is £595.00. The validation simply mirrors the DSA exam marking system.

These are the main elements of the course:

Finding work in the fleet sector
The health and safety at work act
Presenting skills
Theory test
Practical driving skills for fleet and validation of those skills
Interactive vehicle checks
Occupational road risk and presentation
Initial driver profiling
Coaching ability training and validation
Final driver profiling
Report writing

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#20 09-01-07 22:17:08

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Oh right cool. So obviously there is still a required standard of competency yes. I am still a bit confused. Are there still three tests done in the same way as dsa and tested the same way. sorry if I seem dim on this but just with so many different options for getting the same thing it does tend to confuse.

#21 09-01-07 22:33:15

hector
Verified Member
Website

The theory test must be passed, study is required as the questions are of a different nature to ADI tests such as part 1. Three attempts are allowed you should only need 1 with proper study!

The driving ability test must be passed again three attempts are allowed, but the training will prepare you to pass in 1! You need to be able to show off to pass this test! A maximum of 4 driving faults are allowed.

Their are five elements to the coaching ability test

Interactive vehicle checks
Occupational road risk and presentation
Initial driver profiling
Coaching ability
Final driver profiling

Again all must be satisfactory to pass, within three attempts. The training ensures this. There is no grading on a coaching ability test with the DSA or otherwise, its pass or fail.

All the other elements are not tested and are not compulsory, other than the report writing element which is compulsory but not tested as such

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#22 09-01-07 22:36:19

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Thanks hector for clarification of this big_smile

Board footer