You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:19:46

jonks

Volkswagen Polo

Do you use a Volkswagen Polo?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:19:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Volkswagen Polo

#2 28-10-04 22:20:09

MECADI

had 26 new cars for tuition in 24 years   without a shadow of a doubt vw polo 1.9 sdi  twist is the perfect tuition car. group 2 insurance  £236 p.a.
fantastic mpg 56+ lol
easy to drive
reliable 56k only ever changed engine oil

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 20-11-04 22:25:19

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Polo 1.9 Diesel 04 plate.

Driver seat doesn't lift but in general a good view.
Lots of space for books, cup holders etc.
Handbrake is good, Foot brake excellent.

Solid feel to the car when you close the doors
Large enough boot

Its slow with no turbo, and very bouncy when going round corners.

I had the car as a 'hire car for 3 days' not sure of the price to buy

#4 18-06-06 14:08:27

jonks

VW Polo

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#5 18-06-06 15:52:47

DampDog
Verified Member

Well I'll start off by saying I run a VW Polo, though not as a training car yet, but hopefully that will change in the not to distant future.

So I can give you a flavour of the car, what's good, what's bad and general feel for the car. I run the 1.9TDi Sport version (100 bhp). I purchased it new in 2002 from the nice Mr. Volkswagen.

Since then It's been my daily transport and has pretty much not missed a beat. Even though mine is one of the larger diesel versions fuel consumption is miserly. On normal urban runs to and from work it averages 50-52mpg. In the winter months when the cold and frosty mornings set in, I've seen it come down to 48ish, but that's as bad as I've seen it. Once it stretches it's legs out on the open road best I've seen is 68.2mpg which is pretty good by any standard. I guess the combination of big engine in relatively small body works well. Surprisingly I've got a friend who drives the 1.4TDi version and his fuel consumption is little better.

Being a diesel in gear performance is it's strong suit. It will pull cleanly from 1200rpm and once the turbo comes into full effect at around 1750rpm, it pretty much pulls like a steam train. Flat out is around 122mph though that's of little consequence as a training car. But what it does mean is that at the end of the day when the headboard comes off "Mr Jeckle becomes Mr. Hyde".

All that usable torque means pulling away "gas off" is easy, even on reasonable inclines. On the flat second is pretty much the same as first. Even though the diesel is one of the new generation PD (Pump Duse) versions on cold mornings it sound like a TAXI, though once warmed up it does fade to a degree.

In the driving seat the car is much bigger than you'd expect, finding a comfortable seating position is easy,  tall and short alike. Steering is adjustable for rake and reach, with both front seats adjustable for height. (this may be an option on cheaper versions). Power steering comes across the range, so manoeuvring in and out of tight spots is fine.

The car has a glassy feel and is easy to see out of, front and rear, the view through the rear window is pretty good even compared with some smaller cars. Controls are light and easy to operate, brakes are well weighted with no snatch that you can feel in some cars. In car trim is typical Volkswagen, well screwed together and functional, if not somewhat drab.

Service intervals are 10k miles or twelve months whichever comes first, but I'm told that the new models have a gizmo that informs you as and when service is required. Service's alternate Oil/inspection service, major service. VW offer a number of deals to spread the service costs. I chose a faily basic level that cost £6.80p a month for 3 years and covered the first 3 services and first MOT.

All Polo's are galvanised from new so stone chips and minor bodywork scrapes shouldn't be an issue. I think they're covered for corrosion for 12 years

Having spoken to a couple of friends who also run Polo's there appear to be a number of faults that are common across the range.

1. The screen wash pipe to the rear washers become detached and either empty into the rear hatch, or under the car. Not serious but irritating.

2. Engine management light illuminates to indicate a fault. What's really happened is that the switch to the brake light pedal has failed, so you have no brake lights. This happened to my Polo, and two others that I know of. Switch is £60ish fitted.

3. Early Polo's had a few electrical niggles caused by poor grounding of the earth strap in the engine bay. 10 min fix.

4. Now that mines 4 years old there are a few suspension rattles, especially when negotiating traffic calming humps.

5. Depending on model, the front headlight bulbs can be a ?????? to get at.

All in all I'd say they are a robust little car that are well screwed together and tend to stay that way.

Hope that helps a bit.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#6 26-11-06 16:28:24

Scarborian
Verified Member
Website

Hi all,
      Its time for a change of tuition car and I am considering the 1.2 VW Polo 'S' for the job!   Just wondered if anybody on here had any experience of the car and any advice on its suitability. I've driven it and apart form the slightly noisy 3 cylinder engine it feels light and responsive. No driving school offers from VW at the moment though!Any thoughts?????????????
Regards,
           Scarborian

#7 27-11-06 18:03:58

Rob
Verified Member
Website

In a word Yes i had a Polo as a tuition car easy to drive, excellent build quality, good visibility, good fuel economy, group 2 insurance, I had the 1.9 diesel which was a bit gutless but perfect for tuition.

I only changed it because the engine was sluggish and i found the car a bit small going from an AA focus to a Polo. If it was just for tuition i would have kept it but i needed something to double as a family car so bought something a bit bigger with a more modern engine.

Apparently VW doesn't support ADI's so no discounts.

Have you considered the Skoda Fabia basically the same car but cheaper and better equipped and Skoda does support ADI'S

#8 28-11-06 05:58:25

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

i have the SEat ibiza, which is basically a polo, with the 3 cyl 1.2 engine.
its great car, and slightly cheaper that the polo, and seat do a £650 cashback deal for instructors.
i'm just thinking of getting another one, as we speak, but the 1.4 sport! £9,125.

#9 30-11-06 16:01:26

moneal
Verified Member
Website

I have had three Polo's, all diesel, one had a small problem with Air Con. (soon sorted by local agent) the other two were faultless for the year had them about 35k miles. We now run two Skoda Fabia VRS faultless, great, good value for money and you can get good deals, the only down is that they require servicing more often than the VW but in most of the reliability reports the Skoda is always at the top.
The only difference between Skoda and VW, apart from the badge, seems to be the dash is missing that very usful tray to put your pens in, but for several thousand pounds I put up with it

#10 30-11-06 16:26:03

hector
Verified Member
Website

Have to disagree about polo, had one never again!

Many problems and breakdowns, other instructors i know have had the same including turbo blowing up whilst driving home from Robinsons!

My local dealer had it for 4 days once and couldnt fix the damn thing.

Ill put up with the crap dealers with my Golf but not with a polo, overpriced, and due next year for a well needed replacement.
Half the car they used to be.

Now the Fabia vrs, better in every department and about the same price as an average spec polo! 

There is very good reason why skoda finish in the top ten and VW finish in the top 70!
If only Skoda did a golf sized alternative id have one!

The basic polo is truly awful powerwise, one hill i used to have to use second in my polo,  used 6th in Fabia and  now in my Golf!

If your thinking of polo spend more on a golf, or get that vrs Fabia!

The new clio or yaris are streets ahead of the polo also.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 30-11-06 16:36:20

titch

i am no adi, but i do drive a 1.4 vw polo t reg, 5dr petrol.
and ive had no problems with it since buying it in may this year.

ive changed one brake light and that it. but i have had nothing go wrong with it at all.
i would recommend a polo to anyone. they are good cars to drive around in.

Have to disagree about polo, had one never again!

Many problems and breakdowns, other instructors i know have had the same including turbo blowing up whilst driving home from Robinsons!

My local dealer had it for 4 days once and couldnt fix the damn thing.

Ill put up with the crap dealers with my Golf but not with a polo, overpriced, and due next year for a well needed replacement.

Now the Fabia vrs, better in every department and about the same price as an average spec polo! 

There is very good reason why skoda finish in the top ten and VW finish in the top 70!
If only Skoda did a golf sized alternative id have one!

The basic polo is truly awful powerwise, one hill i used to have to use second in my polo,  used 6th in Fabia and  now in my Golf!

If your thinking of polo spend more on a golf, or get that vrs Fabia!

The new clio or yaris are streets ahead of the polo also.

ive never had any problems going up a hill in 2nd, i can easily make 3rd gear.
not too keen on golfs thoug, but then i aint an adi nor got a family so a polo is just ideal for me. small enough for me and my boyfriend.

theory passed- think about 4th..
pratical passed- 1st time with 2minors..

Trisha

#12 30-11-06 17:03:39

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Titch, yours is fine they earned a reputation from the quality of the model you have!

And yours is 1.4 which is substantially better than the latest  base model's 55 bhp!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#13 30-11-06 18:31:50

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi hector
Isn't the octavia built on the Golf platform?

#14 30-11-06 18:52:52

hector
Verified Member
Website

Yeh same car

but blo*dy huge!

Better finished better built same parts. Just not a brilliant view out the back. And just seems like a really big car compared to golf.

Having said that not totally unsuitable really as a tuition car. Would be excellent for speed/NDIS/Fleet work. And bargain prices especially the vrs compared to golf GTI.

That hasnt gone unoticed by pc plod!

I had one as a courtesy car while my fabia was being serviced and it was excellent in every department.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#15 16-02-07 22:02:25

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

CHeers Dam dog, (funny name btw) My cars starting to show its age now, so looking for a car, this is one i'm looking at (100bhp model couldnt do anything less! like the power too much)

Lovely write up, really helpful, cos i've been told they aint quite as good as you may think!

Would prefer a fabia to be honest, but they are bit expensive and in short supply with the 1.9TDI engine i like sooooo much!

Like the fish quote thing btw! big_smile

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day...
Give a man a fishing rod and he'll sell it and buy a fish....

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#16 17-02-07 07:03:02

hector
Verified Member
Website

Dampdog thats the most accurate fault write up ever!

I had all those on my polo. the brake light switch and warning light one on test, fortunately the examiner didnt notice!

The rear wash wipe evry month in winter!

You didint mention the ignition switch though that was a four dayer in the garage!

The suspension noise comes as standard from new on all vws!

Vw are finally seeing the light in 2008 and using common rail instead of pump duse, (end of the taxi!)

Iain im just in the process of buying a car, im fed up of prices for Fabias and polos im now looking at either a clio diesel or fiesta diesel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#17 17-02-07 08:06:29

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Cheers for that Nigel.....I know you said you didn't have a great experience!

Ignition switch a bit of a pain to say the least, why did it take them 4 days! Was that a VW garage that did that, cos I know they ain't exactly as customer focused as they should be!

Because I'm using a petrol at the moment, the pumpe duse noise may be a shocker but gotta be better than the poor economy from a petrol car when teaching, and the lack of torque low down.  Also because my car is so quiet (it is you know) it can be hard for pups to hear the engine at times, so diesel will help with that too.

You are right about Fabias they are really expensive, i dont compromise on spec so finding the right one is a pain too, and there are no proper Skoda garages around here, wake up skoda, great cars but inaccessable really.

Always loved the Clio, remember test driving in 65dci 1.5. very torquey for a little engine and really nice to drive.  Couldn't go french though i couldn't afford the repairs, renault are probably the best of the bad bunch of psa group though!

Fiestas are great, I pretty much know there will be problems with them though.....mega economical and again not bad to drive, mostly lower spec cars though too.  Cars are a dilemma when you don't have much money to spend!

Always thought a jazz was the way to go, but why the hell don't they do a diesel (2.2cdti would be nice, but would be far too quick!  big_smile ) can't do petrol again!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 17-02-07 09:21:55

DampDog
Verified Member

Iain im just in the process of buying a car, im fed up of prices for Fabias and polos im now looking at either a clio diesel or fiesta diesel.

Hiya hector I thought you'd only just had your shiny new golf? or you looking for a second car?

I've been looking around a little, Fiesta's are great from the outside and to drive, but the interior lets em down a bit it's a bit "Airfix" if you know what I mean. But prices  and deals are good.
Not driven a new Clio but sat in my mates, they feel big for a little car, but are quiet, refined and soak up the bumps well.

Starting to see the new Corsa's on the road now and they are a big improvement over the old model.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#19 17-02-07 19:44:54

hector
Verified Member
Website

Dampdog ive had my golf for 10 months now thats ages for me, and i had another before that! So im getting bored.
Fiesta or clio is second car though, I know what you mean about airfix fiesta- but cheap to fix when it goes wrong. I hate to admit i like clio old and new,whether i can bring myself to buy one is another matter smile

My golf is just eating up tyres im on second replacements now at 22K :x :x :x
At £80 each its no joke, never have seventeen inch alloys again.The latest thing is chewing up the inside of the offside tyre only 7mm to zero in 4 weeks yikes yikes

Role on new golf in 2008

The nice vw badge has fell off the front offside wheel now thats really annoying (Its been on and off that many times)

Iain my local 'dealer' had polo 4 days and changed everything but the ignition switch! Gilbert lawton in macclesfield fixed it in 10 mins. The vw franchise was removed from premier garage shortly afterwards actually!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#20 17-02-07 20:12:04

DampDog
Verified Member

Yeah I don't think Vdubs are what they used to be and that's compounded by many of the dealers becoming very poor indeed. I've had V-dubs for years and used to really rate em. You can stand a car not being perfect if the dealers are first rate but there appears to be a shift in the way VW operate their garages.

I've had a couple from L.C.Charles in Crewe. (Think they were Crewe Gateway prior to that) up to about 4 years ago they were reasonably good, however I think they've been taken over and now they are truly appalling, stay well away. I don't think the cars are so much better that they warrant the extra money either, lots of manufacturers have lifted their game now, even the new Fiat punto is a pretty car, and cheap.

I'm a picky ?????? and spend ages choosing a car before parting with my hard earned (actually probably got more to with being a tight git  smile) The new Honda civics look wonderful but you just can't see out the back well enough to have one as a training vehicle. A friend of mine has just had a Toyota Verso people carrier the D4D 180bhp is easily the best diesel I've ever driven, quiet, just mountains of torque and really drivable and I think they do the same engine in the Carolla or whatever they call it now.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#21 25-09-07 10:51:52

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I HAD A 1.4TDI POLO FROM 2002 TO 2007. 100% RELIABLE, APART FOM SERVICES AND FUEL ONLY NEEDED 2 FRONT TYRES IN 5 YEARS. EXCHANGED FOR TOYOTA YARIS D4D IN MAY [WHEN I PASSED PART 3]. MUCH TORQUIER ENGINE IN POLO. ALSO FELT MORE SOLID.  YARIS HAS FAR SUPERIOR REAR VISION AND BETTER HANDLING WHEN PUSHED. I CRIED THE DAY I TRADED THE POLO, BUT I ALWAYS DO!

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#22 16-12-07 13:22:42

DampDog
Verified Member

The first renedrings of the proposed 2009 Polo are starting to appear, yet again it bigger than the previous model.

2009 Polo

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#23 16-12-07 18:57:41

hector
Verified Member
Website

Go on Dave . The 138 bhp new common rail will be a beast.

Suit you down to the ground.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#24 16-12-07 19:04:44

DampDog
Verified Member

Lol..

138bhp...droool...

Have to raid the piggy bank big stylee for one of those, sell my soul to the devil (again) and win the lottery. I'll have to see. Got all fired up about the new Fabia from the write ups, in the flesh it's dull as dishwater and a bit yukky. Mean while I'll keep me current one going, even washed and adjusted the handbrake today... Well it is almost Xmas.. smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#25 16-12-07 19:26:09

hector
Verified Member
Website

Your current car is a cracker.
New Fabia or polo sport even 5 years old theres only one winner. The learners will love that car.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Board footer