You are not logged in.

#26 28-09-06 21:13:51

ADI349
Verified Member

Re: confusion with IAM

For me to give driving instruction I have a green badge which I worked very hard to get, I am allowed to charge for that instruction.
A lot of observers believe they are giving instruction/teaching advanced driving techniques if that is the case then technically they to should have a green badge.  I have no objection to those that do have the badge but I do have a problem with those that do not and believe they can give instruction.  The associate is paying for advice not instruction.  Others may feel that this is a play on words I however do not.

The law says that to give driving instruction for money or monies worth the person giving the instruction must be on the ADI register.  It makes no mention what type of driving licence that the person receiving the instruction hold ie full or provisional.

Steve W ;)ex :police:

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

28-09-06 21:13:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#27 29-09-06 04:42:00

ExAdiNigel

For me to give driving instruction I have a green badge which I worked very hard to get, I am allowed to charge for that instruction.
A lot of observers believe they are giving instruction/teaching advanced driving techniques if that is the case then technically they to should have a green badge.

Why, The observers aren't paid and nor do they receive monies worth.  The only benefit observers receive is the satisfaction that they may be making a difference to road safety.  No money?  No need for green badge.

ADI349 wrote:

I have no objection to those that do have the badge but I do have a problem with those that do not and believe they can give instruction.  The associate is paying for advice not instruction.  Others may feel that this is a play on words I however do not.

The law says that to give driving instruction for money or monies worth the person giving the instruction must be on the ADI register.  It makes no mention what type of driving licence that the person receiving the instruction hold ie full or provisional.

Steve W ;)ex :police:

and here you have exonerated all the observers cos you now mention that money or monies worth has to be paid over to necessitate the green badge, since nothing of any monetary value is paid to the observer there is no need for a green badge.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#28 29-09-06 06:17:06

ADI349
Verified Member

Fair Comments. Perhaps I should have thought my reply through more.

Steve W

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#29 27-11-06 19:34:02

kev elliott

Steve W,
Do you find your typing improves when you stop banging your head on the keybord smile

#30 28-11-06 13:36:59

Target
Verified Member
Website

Lets face it. How many instructors, examiners, trainers, Pdis you name it are all giving different advice. Look on the forums to see some big differences in tuition.

I did notice on my Iams test there was a big difference between what the ex was saying to what I'd been told on the assessment lessons.

I brought most of these points up in a previous thread. The assessor wanted me in 4th at 30mph on clear roads, but the ex only wanted me in 5th when I was cruising above 50mph.

Basically took what was needed and bismissed the nonsense talk.

Cannot deny I did learn something even if it was to take corners too fast!. big_smile ( just joking ).

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#31 28-11-06 19:28:52

ADI349
Verified Member

Kev

Wot r u trnyn to say?????

sREVE w wink wink

#32 28-11-06 21:20:36

kev elliott

Ahh I see, thats what you are like when using fingers:)

But on the topic of IAM tests I am an ADI and IAM observer in Plymouth.

On the subject of speed limits the IAM is explicit in all its training manuals for the obsrvers and in the recommended "How To be An Advanced Driver -Pass Your Advanced Driving Test" book (which is part of the "Skills For Life " package which includes also - local group membership for 12 months,12 months IAM membership when test passed, and test fee) on page 30 "Speed Limits must be obeyed and any breach of the law during your Advanced Driving Test will result in failure."

At a recent observers meeting we had a talk given by one of the Staff examiners -he was a police instructor- he stated that the examiner will take the indicated speed as the correct speed and no allowances could be made for inaccurate readings as the examiner has no way of confirming this.

On the same page there is a long discussion on the results of inapproriate use of speed both too high for conditions and too low.

On the subject of making progress the examiner looks to see if the makes use of observations and plans ahead to make safe use of available road layouts for example not joining the end of a queue of traffic where a second lane is available or recognising changes in speed limits or road conditions.

On the subject of how often observers are checked I belive the maximum time is 3 years then a retest of driving and observing skills.

Hope this clears up some of your questions.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#33 28-11-06 21:51:28

pegasus
Verified Member

At a recent observers meeting we had a talk given by one of the Staff examiners -he was a police instructor- he stated that the examiner will take the indicated speed as the correct speed and no allowances could be made for inaccurate readings as the examiner has no way of confirming this.

I hope they teach them about parrallax errors then.

My speedo needle is vertical at 70 but from the front passenger seat it appears to be pointing at 72.

30 mph is alright as the needle is at about 9:00 o'clock and therefore there is no parrallax error.

#34 29-11-06 00:11:43

kev elliott

Fair comment -I hope they do smile

Board footer