You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-11-06 21:18:46

ModMik
Verified Member
Website

Minibus Training

I have been approached by an ex pup who wants to do a minibus test.

I think she needs to do it as it she will be paid for her duties.

Can i instruct her as a regular ADI?

Does she need to have the provisional entitlement added to her licence?

Does she have to do a PCV theory test?

She also wants to tow a trailer on the minibus i take it that will be an extra test?

The whole thing looks like a mine field to me  :?

I look forward to some information Modmik

DSA ADI Grade 5
DSA Fleet Register
IAM
RoSPA Gold
RoSPA Diploma
www.mikedrive.co.uk

26-11-06 21:18:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Minibus Training

#2 26-11-06 22:13:19

Kev D
Verified Member

Yes the whole thing is a minefield.

As an ADI (Car) this does not in itself allow you to instruct her in this vehicle.

If you have held the full entitlement yourself for more than 3 years then you can supervise a learner in one of these vehicles (not just grandfather rights).

She will need the provisional entitlement added to her licence which will involve a medical as well.

then the theory test which would include the HPT.

Not sure about the trailer, but I would guess your assumption is correct about the extra test.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#3 27-11-06 08:57:21

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Is this ex-pupil a post '96 pass or pre '97?

#4 27-11-06 09:05:47

ModMik
Verified Member
Website

she passed after 1997 so as far as i understand has to do a test :?

Modmik

DSA ADI Grade 5
DSA Fleet Register
IAM
RoSPA Gold
RoSPA Diploma
www.mikedrive.co.uk

#5 27-11-06 09:35:01

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Gets really weird here.
providing she has had her full licence 2yrs, she can drive a minibus as a private vehicle or as a voluntary driver for a voluntary organisation, without L plates.
So you are legally allowed to ride with her giving assistance, there is no compulsory register for PSV, yet you are not allowed to train her with L plates on the vehicle unless you have passed the vocational test yourself.

So it looks as if you can train her without the L plates on and then put them on when you get to the Test Centre

#6 29-11-06 21:04:38

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The trailer part of the test, is taken along the lines of the LGV test.  Her entitlment will then be D1+E.  D is for bus and coaches. D1 is for upto 16 seats.  You'll probably have D1 on your own licence if you've not a HGV or PSV test. If you look to the right of the of your licence next to theD1 and the dates.  You will see :- 107 or 101,119.  These numbers are restrictions.  If you look on the back of your paper licence these restrictions will be  explained there.

You can drive a mini bus up to 16 seats but you can only carry 8 fare paying passengers.  I think that the 107 restriction is on thesize of the size and type of trailer you can pull.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-11-06 21:20:19

pegasus
Verified Member

You can drive a mini bus up to 16 seats but you can only carry 8 fare paying passengers.

For drivers with pre '97 licences, see:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Drive … chk=Iu49sm

I drive a college minibus and get paid for it under a section 19 permit.

The person to whom the O P was refering will have to go the vocational route if they have to use a trailer as there is no provision for a post '96 driver to tow a trailer behind a minibus.

#8 10-12-06 20:09:57

ModMik
Verified Member
Website

If i take the D1 test myself can i teach straight away or do i have to wait 3 years as a newly qualified driver would.

Am i only taking the test to get the restriction code 101 taken off my licence?

Its all clear as mud!!

Thanks Modmik :?

DSA ADI Grade 5
DSA Fleet Register
IAM
RoSPA Gold
RoSPA Diploma
www.mikedrive.co.uk

#9 10-12-06 21:38:18

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
If you then wanted to teach someone else who has restriction 101 or a post '96 driver who has had their licence long enough to be permitted to drive a D1 off licence then you could.

I suspect that there may be a problem once they have had their medicals and had D1 vocational/provisional added to their licence.

If you wanted to teach someone who required L plates on the
minbus during lessons (test would require them anyway) you would apparently have to wait the 3 yrs.

#10 01-01-07 21:28:13

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The supervising driver has to have held the full entitlement to drive the category of vehicle for 3 years. If you have a D1 restricted licence and sit the D1 vocational test you should have to wait 3 years before you could supervise. I up graded my PCV from auto to manual and had to wait until I had held my manual 3 years before I could teach manual.

If you have a restricted D1 licence ie not for hire and reward then strictly speaking you shouldnt supervise for hire and reward either.

A D1 holder can tow a trailer upto 750KG as with all other categories, if they wish to tow a larger trailer then they need to sit the D1 +E test after they pass the D1 test.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#11 01-01-07 21:40:28

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Not a mine field at all then big_smile

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#12 02-01-07 19:09:02

ModMik
Verified Member
Website

Think i will head to the post office tomorrow and get the forms and sit the test, will be a good challenge and maybe an avenue for the future

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread Modmik

DSA ADI Grade 5
DSA Fleet Register
IAM
RoSPA Gold
RoSPA Diploma
www.mikedrive.co.uk

#13 09-01-07 17:21:18

Idrivetoo

The gross train weight must not exceed 4.5tonne when towing a trailer.
the test vehicle must be "A passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) with 9 - 16 passenger seats with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of at least four tonnes, of at least five metres in length and capable of 80 km/h (50 mph)." This does not leave much weight for the trailer MAM of 500KG

I DO love my driving

#14 09-01-07 17:38:37

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
That 4 tonnes MAM figure applies to Test vehicles first registered after 1st Oct 2003 and a comes in to force on July 1st 2007.

But it leaves an even stranger question unanswered.

Standard D1 minibuses 9 to 16 seats are based on 3.5 tonnes van chassis,

There won't be many with an over 4 tonnes chassis with less than 16 seats except vehicles such as the twin rear axled Ivecos, used by a lot of social services depts, the small buses used by bus companies require a full D licence because they have more than 16 seats.

#15 09-01-07 17:49:27

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The old LDV 16 seaters were 3.9 tonne, don't tell anyone!

#16 09-01-07 17:54:17

Idrivetoo

The sprinter and a lot of the newer buses are built on 3.88 tonne chassis and our 16 passenger seat buses are built on the Merc 4.6T chassis and the latest bus we are buying is the new Sprinter 5T.

I DO love my driving

#17 09-01-07 18:01:18

reddragonbus
Verified Member

The D1 licence is rather funny, there is no weight restriction, a D1 holder could drive a 3 axle Neoplan double decker coach if it has less than 16 seats in it. Insane.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 09-01-07 21:43:54

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

The sprinter and a lot of the newer buses are built on 3.88 tonne chassis and our 16 passenger seat buses are built on the Merc 4.6T chassis and the latest bus we are buying is the new Sprinter 5T.

So people would be able to take a D1 test in your newer buses, the college I work at uses Transits and they don't go over 4 tonnes except for the accesible one.

It seems as though some of the manufacturers are putting 16 seat bodies on heavier chassis these days.

#19 09-01-07 21:51:04

Idrivetoo

Indeed, I actually do the D1 training and take them to test. There are more and more teachers coming into the system who cannot drive minibuses, especially as the MAM of them is increasing to ensure safety.

Les

I DO love my driving

#20 17-03-08 16:58:58

Doug
Verified Member
Website

No D1 on licence, then can only drive up to 3500kg vehicle unless disabled lift fitted then 4250kg.

D1 provisional, test vehicle must be over 4000 kg mam.

D1 101 restricted soon to be not allowed to accompany L plate learners in D1 vehicles.

If you take D1 to remove 101 restriction, then 2 years from your unrestricted C grandfather rights can be counted towards your 3 year waiting period. Therefor can teach learners after 12 months.

Why offer work to IAM volunteers, when qualified ADIs are only too willing to do the work.

Doug

#21 17-03-08 17:25:00

Idrivetoo

"D1 101 restricted soon to be not allowed to accompany L plate learners in D1 vehicles."

You cannot train D1 unless you have a full D or D1 by passing a test, you can't use D1 grandfather rights, according to the DSA Summer 2005 edition of "Despatch" : -
"People wishing to act as accompanying drivers/assessors/instructors must hold a full licence in the category (as a result of passing the appropriate test), be over 21 years of age and have held that licence for at least 3 years. Drivers who hold a 'Grandfather Rights' licence cannot act as an accompanying driver/assessor/instructor to learner drivers.
IdriveToo

I DO love my driving

#22 17-03-08 17:36:01

Doug
Verified Member
Website

That will become formally true in 2010. See extract from the DSA consultation review.

Doug

6. Ministers have decided that there are obvious road safety benefits from ‘clarifying’ the rules about who may act as an accompanying driver so that only persons who have proved they have the necessary skills and knowledge to drive a category C1 or D1 vehicle (and sub categories C1+E and D1+E), may act as the accompanying driver.
7. However, they are mindful of a very small number of trainers, who have for many years been delivering training to drivers of C1 vehicles whilst themselves holding a pre-1997 licence.
8. Ministers have no wish to prevent those persons who have been conducting their business safely for many years from continuing to deliver training. They do however wish to see all trainers hold the same licence as that being sought by their trainee.
9. They have decided that the changes will be introduced from 1 April 2010.
10. This timescale will enable those trainers who rely on an implied rights C1/D1 licence for training purposes, adequate time in which to take and pass the driving test and acquire a full licence.
11. We will ensure that such persons who acquire a full C1/D1 category (and sub categories C1+E and D1+E) licence by taking and passing a driving test before 1 April 2010, will be given credit for the time they held the implied rights licence. This will ensure that they can satisfy the accompanying driver rules to enable then to continue training.
12. The timescale will also give DSA more time in which to publicise the changes.

#23 17-03-08 17:44:56

Idrivetoo

Interesting, they have kept that bit secret, I was firmly informed that my last post information was correct and not tested D1 drivers COULD NOT train or accompany D1 drivers by a DSA examiner

I DO love my driving

#24 17-03-08 17:49:28

Doug
Verified Member
Website

Same as LGV / PCV register voluntary, therefor do not have to be registered instructor to teach vocational licences.

Also none of his has been kept secret. If one had looked at the consultation documents over the past few years, then all would have been clear before.

It is the reason that I took my D1 test in 2005, and clarified the 1 year plus 2years C1 rule and got myself ready to continue teaching the post 1997 teachers that need to upgrade the licence.

Doug

#25 17-03-08 18:03:17

Idrivetoo

But, you do need to be qualified or so I thought!!

I DO love my driving

Board footer