You are not logged in.

#1 15-12-04 12:11:08

andrew001

Working/training for BSM

Hello,

Please excuse my newbie status. big_smile

Like most people say when they discover this site,if only i had found it months ago!!

Reading most of the posts on here,it seems like not a lot of people have many good things to say about BSM.

I am currently training with them(just passed part 1),and have just started part 2.
I plan to take up a franchise with them(on a pink)after i pass part 2.

Happy with them so far,just concerned about franchise costs(on a trainee lience),and some of the horror stories on here. As i say,cant seem to find too may plus points about them.

The main jist of what people on here say about them is the expense.

If possible,i would love to hear from other ADI's,that have worked for BSM,or knows someone that does(has),and there views about them!

Any help would be great!

Many thanks

Andrew(newbie)

15-12-04 12:11:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Working/training for BSM

#2 15-12-04 17:54:41

Anonymous

some adis like bsm and some dont and its down to cost. you get what you pay for persnally ive never worked for them so kint realy comment on the service but i would not pay some one 300 pound per wk but thats me. can you tell me how you passed the hpt and what did you use to help you . im currently useing dsa dvd.

#3 15-12-04 20:57:06

andrew001

Had a bsm cd/rom and just practised .Only had a limited number of clips,so got a bit too used to where the hazzards were.

The test centre has great monitors(better than my pc)so the clips were a lot clearer.

Also was just way over cautious and more or less clicked at anything that moved!!

A friend of mine who also took it said in one clip he clicked over 19 times!!!Way too much but it got him though.

Hope that helps and good luck!

p.s£300+ to bsm a week does sound a lot.
        Any bsm instructors views welcomed,cheers.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 16-12-04 00:04:24

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

BSM = Bring Some Money

#5 16-12-04 01:01:42

andrew001

A.I,

big_smile
I think i read that somewhere eles on here!

I take it your not to keen on them.

I know they look expensive,but from the outside looking in,it looks like they provide a lot for your money,from someone starting off on a pink.

Iam trying to get a point of view from the inside looking out.

Did you used to work with them/or you train with them?

Did anyone here?

Many Thanks,

Andrew

#6 17-12-04 08:23:47

TimApps

I trained with BSM
Their resourse and assistance are first class though, like anything of this nature, it takes your commitment too.
Working on a trainee licence is okay providing you don't lose sight of what you're doing: consolidating your part 3 training.
-Use the variable franchise rate
-Don't let them open your diary beyond 30 hours/week
-keep your work/life/training balance realistic
you'll make around £200/week on a 30 hour diary - less petrol
When you qualify, go fixed rate.
On a 40 hour week, you'll make £840/week less £308 for the franchise fee but...
you get a fully managed diary with pupils and a new fully maintained car(less petrol) every 14,000 miles. (2 or 3 a year)
BSM have an account with ATS if a learner takes out a tyre and you can pop your car to the local one every month or so for a check up.
If your car is pranged before midday, you'll have a replacement one the next day or you can borrow the centre "loaner"!
Like anything, you get what you pay for and it's been my experience that BSM provide you with just that... a trouble free working environment that lets you concentrate on the job in hand, teaching learners the means to acquire safe driving for life.

Hope this helps

#7 17-12-04 18:15:27

andrew001

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the info,at last some good feedback.

Do you still work for them?

If so,how often would you drop below 40hours PW?

Anything negative to say about them?

Send me a PM,if you would like to chat in private.

Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions!!

Again,thanks for the feedback.

Chat soon(hopefully),

Andrew.

#8 17-12-04 18:20:53

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andrew,

Everybodies experience can be different. I trained with BSM a good 14 years ago and whilst it's unfair to say they are the same now, my experience was pretty bad as I nearly lost my home due to the lack of work.

In 2 years I rarley did above 25 hours.

If you can get some written guarantees you'd be wise.

Regards,

#9 17-12-04 18:40:22

andrew001

Hello Big Red,

Thanks for the reply.

A few of the posts that i have read were yours,re losing your home,and i started to worry!

I live in the east end of london,and am hoping that when fully up and running,40 hours PW,should be reached.A lot of people live in the eastend.Fingers crossed!!!!

Havent signed any franchise deals yet,but pretty sure i will start off with BSM.

Will defo try and get something in writing!(Again fingers crossed!!!:)

Any other words of wisdom would be great,

Many Thanks

Andrew

#10 19-12-04 18:00:39

Anonymous

remmber this bsm are intrested in the amount of cars they have on the road and not bothered about how many hrs you have got in your diary . as long you can pay them then they are happy.look at it this way , if they had twenty cars operating from one office they would share the work out in such away as to make sure that every one can pay thier franchise. they are not bothered about your comitments like every business they are there to make money .

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 19-12-04 21:57:43

Lynne
Verified Member

lee wrote:

remmber this bsm are intrested in the amount of cars they have on the road and not bothered about how many hrs you have got in your diary . as long you can pay them then they are happy.look at it this way , if they had twenty cars operating from one office they would share the work out in such away as to make sure that every one can pay thier franchise. they are not bothered about your comitments like every business they are there to make money .

Lee I agree with you!!!!

BSM are into training, whether that be pupils or trainee instructors.  I know a few people who've nearly 'gone under' with them because too many cars on road (partly due to trainees but not complaining as I went on a trainee) -v- not enough business.  You pay the same whether they find you pupils or not!! 

I left end of last year and went to the AA    big_smile

Beware if you ever decide to leave -
They can hold back final weeks money so take as much cash as you can the last week and don't pay in more than the franchise fee with the final ROG.
Make sure you end your franchise at the end of the 'week' else you'll get charged a whole week (I was!)
I am told they will pursue if you don't give the whole notice as required on contract.

On the PLUS side...I WAS allowed to take ALL my pupils as the office said it was more trouble than it was worth finding them an alternative instructor when they'd probably end up coming back to me anyway.  I also know other instructors who all kept their pupils.

Cheers
Lynne

#12 20-12-04 18:44:25

Anonymous

i would try and find out how much work was in that area bfore on deciding on weather thier was enough work to go around. be care full this buinesses has sharks like any other buiness they tend to have nice glossy brochures big comp keep away from them.just take a look at lets drive. if you are after a pot of gold then there are far more easyer ways to earn cash this is a tough buisness to be in.

#13 20-12-04 18:49:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Lee,

I hope you're not knocking franchise companies again - Especially as you have expressed an interest in doing yourself!

There are good ones and bad ones, you just need to be careful.

Regards,

#14 20-12-04 23:12:42

Anonymous

i dont think any franchise comp is good because its about profit from instructors. if there is money to be made then there is only one way and thats on your own

#15 23-12-04 21:56:06

Rob_BWFC
Verified Member
Website

I don't have any problems with BSM - the training is top notch and I get plenty of work, but that's because I know how to organise myself. No disrespect intended, but the majority of people who get low hours with BSM have only got themselves to blame.

Just as an example, I know of at least three instructors who have 25 pupils on their books, but only generate about 27-30 hours every week, some are even worse than this. So these instructors are only getting just over 1 hour out of every pupil they have as they don't keep in contact with the ones who have strayed away(either from failing a test or whatever) They don't forward book and when they are low on hours, they try to get yet more pupils out of BSM instead of ringing the ones they have.

Whenever it looks like I'm going to be low on hours a few weeks down the line, I'll make sure to ring up pupils who have tests approaching to get extra lessons from them, or I will call pupils who have passed recently and try to sell pass plus. If I'm low on pupils, then I'll ring up the people who promised me recommendations, or I'll hang around in the office to help people who are on the simulator and they normally end up with me. It's rare that I drop below 35 hours a week and I currenly only have 19 pupils on my books.

I know what you are thinking - why have a dog and bark yourself, but it's your business at the end of the day, so why sit around twiddling your thumbs if you can do something about it?

I'm done...outta here!

Board footer