You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 14-11-06 12:42:17

Target
Verified Member
Website

How long to become a trainer?

One of those questions.

But for those already giving Adi training realistically how many hours in car should I be budgeting for such a course.

I'm under no illusion that one of these 4or5 day courses is going to be enough and I'm sure it will take alot longer to really be comfortable with teaching part 3.

Is someone prepared to give me an indication.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

14-11-06 12:42:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How long to become a trainer?

#2 14-11-06 13:01:39

geebee
Verified Member

i would say a minimum of 40 hrs for pt 3

a two or three hour session once a week
with time to study at least a week between sessions

regards geebee

#3 14-11-06 13:17:55

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

4 or 5 days training I would think would be ok, but doing this all in one week is daft. I have a day or a halfday, then go out and put stuff into practice. A lot of things can be done without a trainer (have a look at the 'minimum standard' in the ORDIT regs - you'll have to sort out paperwork etc), and some stuff you may already have - like cardington or DIAmond special, worth having as a trainer. Find a really good trainer and have a chat with them. Mine is helping me through the ORDIT process on an as and when basis (when I can afford it), and in the meantime I am putting together all of my training resources, and making sure that I am ready for all of the checks as far as record keeping etc is concerned.

#4 15-11-06 13:55:48

Target
Verified Member
Website

Tell me about paperwork. Just been changing a few things with the lessons now and its taking forever. Nearly there. Always something to do. Thats reminds me. Still not washed the car or booked a service.

Thanks for the replys. Weekly tuition over a long period sounds good and budget for around 40 hours. Ordit is the route and target to aim for. Looking at the register there does not seem to be an Ordit instructor in this area, so theres definately a gap in the market.

Seems that finding an instructor is also the more difficult thing.

On another point. It may sound obvious. When you talk about extra practice and training. I'm assuming you mean:

1. Putting into practice whats being learnt. I see no reason when I feel confident in myself I cannot start promoting the instructor side of the business.
2. Perhaps the instructor could put me in touch with other trainers.

Is there something i'm missing.

I still plan to do Cardington first and lots of other information to read also.

Cheers

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#5 15-11-06 14:19:51

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Print off a copy of the ORDIT regs, and go through them with a fine toothcomb, most of it you will probably already be doing, but some things you might need to tweak. There's no problem offering training right now if you want, but I would offer it in conjunction with your own trainer if you want to know whether your work is good or not, (send your trainees to him/her for a few sessions during your course, maybe sit in on them) have a chat to your trainer about this.

Don't expect a huge response yet, I've not managed to replace the trainees I lost when I left my former employer, but you could get everything set up ready for ORDIT. Good luck.

#6 15-11-06 17:16:35

Carl

There is a company up in the Leeds area that offer instructor training courses over a one week period. I was thinking of getting a Career Development Loan and going on the course. But, not really 100% sure that I'd be able to take it all in in such a short space of time.

Carl

#7 15-11-06 19:16:27

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

I know I definitely couldn't take everything in that timescale. I know some people who can, but they're few and far between.

#8 16-11-06 15:52:40

Target
Verified Member
Website

From my experience of 40 hours with TIC I'd not want to do it.

The DIA run week courses which is a little closer to home, but its the initial outlay so spreading the costs seems better and when I was training I only worked part-time. Now I'm trying to run the business and find I need to keep ticking along with the office work to keep it going. A week in Leeds would see a definate drop in work load.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#9 20-11-06 22:28:15

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The DIA will run it modular for you if you ask, call Steve Garrod at the DIA tell him I sent you

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 20-11-06 22:45:08

pj
Verified Member

From my experience of 40 hours with TIC I'd not want to do it.

The DIA run week courses which is a little closer to home, but its the initial outlay so spreading the costs seems better and when I was training I only worked part-time. Now I'm trying to run the business and find I need to keep ticking along with the office work to keep it going. A week in Leeds would see a definate drop in work load.

If you do the DIA course let us know coz you will be right on mine, Vanda's & Michael's doorstep, come say hello big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#11 21-11-06 12:39:58

Target
Verified Member
Website

PJ. Just been reading your recomm on the instructors thread for a guy called Tong Phillips.

The DIA do not seem that cheap. £250 for 1 day £150 for half day. I've sent them an email asking a few questions hoping for a reply soon.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#12 24-12-08 15:14:43

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

So how long do you have to be an ADI before qualifying to be an ADI Instructor Trainer?

On bikes there is no time.

Thanks in advance smile

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#13 08-01-09 21:00:48

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi

We run a train the trainer course. It is not specifically designed for ORDIT registration as in my opinion ORDIT is relatively simple. What is more difficult is giving a structured training program to a potential driving instructor that builds upon the underlying skills that a good instructor needs. Many trainers base their training upon the PST's. We have a beleif that if you teach someone the core skills needed to teach some one to drive they will pass the part 3.With a pass rate running at around 80% for the part 3 test for the last 12 months we know it works.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

Board footer