You are not logged in.

#1 12-11-06 11:26:32

alv
Verified Member

Advice on additional courses please

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I've been a part-time adi since I passed my part 3 in feb (also fireman). I've done very little pass-plus work - they all think its a great idea until they pass their test! As such I would like a bit more training in advanced instruction. I had a drive with an IAM chief observer and explained my situation but he basically told me I was a good driver and should put in for my test - which is nice but doesn't improve my instructional abilities. Anyway to cut to the chase, which is the best route for me to take? IAM, Cardington, DIA, any other ideas?

Cheers, alv

ADI, Fleet Trainer
NG9 Driver Training
Nottingham

12-11-06 11:26:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice on additional courses please

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-11-06 19:59:03

Target
Verified Member
Website

It depends alot on where you feel your weaker areas are.

Also what if any direction you intend to take. Instructor training may be a little early into your career.

Theres nothing to say you cannot put IAMS or something similiar under your belt. As for pass plus. No one does it. Even my most keen of pupils do not take the course and those I have booked in after the test cancel never to be heard from again.

If your working part-time you may find that L-Test fit nicely into your schedule and prefer to do something thats more interesting for yourself.

You will of course be getting that CT letter soon so consider brushing up the skills for that. A nice high grade would be good.

Theres noting to say you cannot teach Pdis now, but Cardington and some recognised course would be sensible and the Ordit Reg.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 12-11-06 20:31:05

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I would advice to start with looking at the Diploma in driving instruction, this will give you a good basic knowledge of all areas of instruction and will help you to attain a god check test grade if you put what you learn in to practice. It will also help you identify other areas that are open to you with your ADI licence. It will take you between 1 and 2 years and at the same time you will be getting valuable experience of teaching.
On the practical side you could look at the 2 DSA acredited driving exams in the DIAmond advance test and DIAmond special test. There is also the DSA's own Cardington test.

As for pass plus it is how you sell it. My take up rate for this was quite high and as such was a valuable extra income although I mainly sold it to the parents so little 'Jonhny and Jennie' got extra skills.

Take your time and consider your options and look at what path yo want to take and you will do well in this wonderful industry. I have today just spent the day with about 60 ADI's from the south west who would all advocate volentary CPD and are all doing bery well in this profession at the DIA workshop in Exeter.
Goodluck

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#4 13-11-06 07:05:59

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

With regard to the Dip Di. Is it a correspondence course. Do you have to take a driving test to achieve it? How much does it cost? Who do you apply to to start?

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 13-11-06 07:32:25

Carl

With regard to the Dip Di. Is it a correspondence course. Do you have to take a driving test to achieve it? How much does it cost? Who do you apply to to start?

The Diploma is controlled by the DIA so you could check out their web site - http://www.driving.org

There are 5 modules to study for and the exams take place over a 2 week period in May. It is possible to do all 5 modules in a year, but most people setting on 2 in the first year, 3 in the second. Most of the study is done on your own, although there are some local organisations that offer study groups.

You used to be able to take the exams almost anywhere but I think it's now only certain places.

Carl

#6 13-11-06 08:49:56

alv
Verified Member

Good advice thanks

alv

ADI, Fleet Trainer
NG9 Driver Training
Nottingham

#7 13-11-06 09:03:55

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The Diploma exams are now over 1 week and there are atually moe centres now than before where it can be taken. The DIA have thier own tutors and if you contact Steve Garrod on 0845 3455151 He will put you in touch and feel free to say I sent you.

It is best to use home study and purchase the work books from the DIA however additional books would only be IF you needed them, Some need to purchase for example a book on the car mechanicle principles (don't worry it is not to technical) others like me needed a bit further help on the business side. I did all 5 in one year but like said many do 2 one year then 3 the next although I wold do 3 the first year incase you need to resit one the following year. The whole exam is coomon sense based now and much more up to date than it was.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#8 13-11-06 11:20:33

Carl

I bought the workbooks a few years back with the intention of taking it, but personal pressures put pay to that and they are still sitting upstairs in the office. I'll probably do it one day, at the moment it's finding the time.

I would recommend getting the DIA Driving Instructors Manual though. It is a very complete manual and if you subscribe to the update service, get regularly updated (should be due for one soon I think).

Carl

#9 13-11-06 17:36:21

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

If you are looking at higher grade driving tests Alv, you should be able to easily pass the basic advanced driving courses due to the level acheived for Part 2. You should aim for DIAmond special advanced or cardington level.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 14-01-07 10:41:40

ExAdiNigel

If you are looking at higher grade driving tests Alv, you should be able to easily pass the basic advanced driving courses due to the level acheived for Part 2. You should aim for DIAmond special advanced or cardington level.

Or RoSPA!  Depending, of course, on where you want to go with your driving instruction career.

If you are still a fireman, why not try and get the fire service to train you to become a fire engine driver?  You shouldn't have to pay for that and the experience could be invaluable.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 14-01-07 13:47:58

Madiggy
Verified Member

Hi Alv in your original post I got the impresion that you want want to improve your teaching/instruction skills, by improving your own driving skills there will almost certainly be a knock on effect of improved instructional skills. But just testing your own driving skills will not necessarily see the improvements you seek. The Diploma in Driving Instruction is one very well respected route as would be City and Guilds FETC 730 course both of these are generally about the theory of said subjects and are tested in a classroom type environment. So there seems very little on offer of the lets say hands on (in the car) training available out there. I am aware of only 2 - 1) you could enrol on a DSA accredited Fleet qualification course as training is given with in the course. 2) A teaching techniques 1 day workshop. or if you have reliable instructor trainers in your area then seek some further training with them explaining where you would like your skills improved.

As CPD comes in for ADIs most of the courses we have heard of in the past will probably be sectioned down into 1 day modular type sessions to fit the format that DSA are proposing and if that was already in place I'm sure you would be able to choose exactly the course that would fit neatly into what you want to achieve, but that is for the future I guess.

I do not want to advertise any courses in particular so if you want specific information please PM me

Iggy

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#12 14-01-07 16:40:49

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Agree with the above but the 730 is now the 7407 unless you refer to the basic elementry course that the number escapes me

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#13 14-01-07 20:46:53

Madiggy
Verified Member

You almost certainly will be correct as it has never ceased to amaze me how many different course numbers have been attached to this "Further and Adult Education Teaching" certificate I must admit i did think it was related to perhaps the area where the course took place and in a sense would love to know why so many different numbers. Thats part of the reason I called it a "730" as in reality when I took mine it was in fact a "7307" however most of the titles I have heard used over the years have been 730? something hence my quote.
Looks like I'm still learning - and long may it continue.

Iggy

#14 14-01-07 23:45:55

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The second digit in 7307 refers to the NVQ level so 7307 is level 3 and 7407 level 4 we are already level 3 really so need to advance to level 4. I am currently working towards level 5

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#15 15-01-07 00:32:20

Madiggy
Verified Member

When I took mine in 1990 there was only 1 level used mostly as a stepping stone qualification to cert ed but how things change it was also C&G not NVQ not sure how that all works with these examining bodies -  So if things have moved on in such a maner does that mean I have entry level at say 3 or higher ?

Iggy

#16 15-01-07 08:11:06

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

It is stiill C&G but they have mad them compatable with NVQ's so it depends what you did. if you did 730? then you are level 3 and 740? then level 4. Most qualifications now have an NVQ value as well as thier own value. A degree is level 5 and masters level 6. With a teaching qualification like the ADI badge or 730? or 740? you can teach 1 level below so 7407 can teach level 3 and level 5 teaches level 4 etc the ADI badge is about level 3 so you can teach level 2 which is normally vocational which driving is. An instructor trainer really needs to be level 4 so they can teach level 3 and so on.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#17 15-01-07 08:33:21

Madiggy
Verified Member

Thanks that is a very good up-date for me and may well set some further targets for me after Dip Di and Cardington "A".

Iggy

Board footer