You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-11-06 16:59:49

sammie06

Driving an 8/16 seater bus!

I work for a minibus/coach company that transports people with various disabilities, I was talking to my boss the other day and because they are so short on drivers at the minute he wants me to get an assessment on my driving as soon as i turn 21 so that i can drive an 8 seater minibus. If the assessment goes ok and after ive been driving them a while he wants to put me through my 16 seater test.  yikes

As this a new boss, he doesnt know how long ive had my license for, so was wandering if you have to have your license a certain ammount of time before you are allowed to drive an 8 seater minibus (silly me forgot to ask him)   roll

age.png

10-11-06 16:59:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving an 8/16 seater bus!

#2 10-11-06 17:14:54

sammie06

Thanks for that dimmy, I haven't got D1 on my license and due to the companies insurance policy im not allowed to drive any bus until im 21 anyway.

Because i will be getting paid for it, they will be paying for me to do 5 days/ 4 hours a day of training, then they will also be paying for the test at the end of it aswell.

He's asked me if i would like to go for the full pcv test so i can drive coaches i said no way, dont think i could see myself driving a coach.

age.png

#3 10-11-06 17:27:45

sammie06

Alot of the drivers have told me that they find driving buses/coaches alot easier because you can see more as you are sat higher and the mirrors are bigger.

There is a catch to it though, if i take the full pcv test and pass i have to sign a contract to say i will stay with the conmpany for 3 years and if i decide to leave in those 3 years then i will have to pay for the training and test, depending how much time has passed depends on how much you have to pay back.

age.png

#4 10-11-06 17:38:32

sammie06

It does sound fair, im just not sure at the moment if thats where i want to be in a few years, as im starting some IT and Admin courses soon.

I will get an extra £2 per hour payrise from what im getting now, but I'll get the same rate per hour if i were driving an 8 seater or a coach, i think its a little unfair actually. They are currently discussing the why there isnt a difference in the hourly rate.

age.png

#5 10-11-06 19:58:45

pegasus
Verified Member

hi
As a post 1996 driver you will only be allowed to drive a 9 to16 passenger vehicle as a Voluntary driver for a Voluntary organisation and only after holding your full car licenec for 2 yrs.
With your comments about pay that obviously rules out the Voluntary bit.

There is also the aspect of, "Are the passengers paying?" because if so there is the question of Hire and Reward it could be that even drivers of people carriers should have some other form of certification such as a Private Hire ticket.

I would say that you will need to do a D1 vocational test when you are 21, in which case it would be sensible to do a D test instead as that will cover you for larger buses as well, if you ever need it.

Pre 1997 drivers can be paid for driving Minibuses but only if they are being used under a section 19 permit which allows a Hire or Reward facility for users/members of the organization, but not general transport.
I.E. I drive one, for pay, for a local college but only students and staff can be carried on college business/visits. 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 10-11-06 20:29:28

ExAdiNigel

....He's asked me if i would like to go for the full pcv test so i can drive coaches i said no way, dont think i could see myself driving a coach.

I would agree with Dimmy, if you get the chance, go for it.  Take any courses they throw at you.  The pcv may only be auto though.  Many of the bus companies have moved over to auto.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 10-11-06 23:15:54

sammie06

I think i will take up the chance as dimmy implied you'll never know when you'll need it.

Nigel, it will be a manual test because thats all we have in the depot they dont own any automatic vehicles.

age.png

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 11-11-06 06:50:48

ExAdiNigel

....Nigel, it will be a manual test because thats all we have in the depot they dont own any automatic vehicles.

Looks even better on your licence! big_smile

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 11-11-06 15:52:33

sammie06

sammie06 wrote:

....Nigel, it will be a manual test because thats all we have in the depot they dont own any automatic vehicles.

Looks even better on your licence! big_smile

Nigel

Thats true, at least i wouldnt be restricted to what i could drive big_smile I had a real good think about it last night, and i think i will go for the full psv test. But i'll drive the 8 seater for a bit first just to get a little bit of experience driving a slightly larger vehicle.

age.png

#10 12-11-06 08:57:05

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

My step-father drives one of those bendy buses down at the Eden project - now there's a challenge !!

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#11 02-03-07 11:23:10

AndyBerry

The subject of gaining a category D/D1 licence is always one with confusion... You can get a D/D1 licence once you are 18 and have been driving for more than 1 year on a normal car licence (trust me, I was only 18 when I did my PCV test). Under 21, there is a distance limit of 50km (or 50 miles, can't remember which) from your official base.

I have to agree with your colleagues, driving a bus/coach is much easier than a minibus once you've been doing it. I get funny looks for saying this, but after you've been doing it about 6 months, it is actually about the same as driving your car... you go from thinking about everything that your doing all the time to doing it with less thought (not in a bad way, just that your thinking about it in the back of your mind instead)

I would seriously consider going for the PCV training, as mentioned above it is a qualification for life that you can always fall back on if all else fails.

Andy

#12 09-05-07 19:39:43

wayneadi
Verified Member

i would deffo get your pcv licence ive been driving buses a few years and it is just like driving a car now i also did wagons so my auto bus licence went to full manual which was nice i some times do a bit of agency work on the trucks when the car instructing goes quite so it has stood me in good stead and i got both paid for through work  get all you can when you can

wayne lewin school of motoring :: our aim is to make you a safe driver for life   b,be,c,c1,c1e,d,d1,d1e f,k,l,n,p

#13 10-05-07 08:10:19

AndyBerry

As Wayne said, well worth going for the full PCV licence, you've got what's really a 'skill for life' then! Noticing that your in Derby, I work for trentbarton and if you've got a full PCV licence, then you'd be almost guaranteed a job with us (especially as you'd be used to dealing with people) if you ever wanted a change of direction!

Go for it!

Andy

Board footer