You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-11-06 06:06:46

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

FLEET TRAINING

I have quite fancied the idea of Fleet training, in readiness for all this CPD that will eventually, be put upon us.

How can i get training to do Fleet training, and how much does it cost, and how long does it take?

I believe that you have to do all 3 tests again, is that correct?

04-11-06 06:06:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: FLEET TRAINING

#2 04-11-06 07:48:16

ExAdiNigel

No, you don't have to do all 3 tests again.  It all depends on the route you take.

The DSA offer fleet accredidation through 3 exams, but the DSA also recognise courses run by other companies like RoSPA and IAM and, even, lancashire council.

Phone up the DSA and request an info pack, it will contain a list of recognised courses.  Prices could be £600 + for a weeks course.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 05-11-06 05:54:03

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

so if i do that i will get my orange badge to train fleet drivers?

#4 05-11-06 06:19:58

ExAdiNigel

Yep!

One thing to bear in mind when you choose a course, many of the fleet companies will only recognise their own course.  So, when you pass your exams at the end of the course, the company you trained with with probably offer you work but other, similar companies may not.  Having said that, the RoSPA Diploma does tend to be recognised throughout the industry - but, guess what, it does tend to be more expensive.

Nigel

#5 05-11-06 09:01:00

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Robbie
you have two routes to your orange badge-a DSA accredited course or the DSA exams. I run a DSA accredited course so im biased but you can go the DSA route as follows.

The DSA route:
Pass three qualifying exams as follows

processing fee
£11.75
£11.75

Fleet driver training part 1 - theory test
£58.75

Fleet driver training part 2 - driving ability
£92.83

Fleet driver training part 3 - instructional ability
£92.83

Fleet driver training first registration fee
£117.50

Fleet driver training re-registration fee
£58.75

In addition to the above fees you will need training so the cost isnt that diffent to an accredited course. The DSA only conduct the test at certain centres and there is limited examiner availability due to it being a voluntary register at the moment.

An accredited course will include all the dsa qualifying criteria and in addition some very helpfull extras- training is included for all the exams (Which are conducted in-house) and also extras will include on a good course!

The health and safety at work act
Presentation training
Training to actually go out and get the work!

My course costs £595.00   and runs over 5 days some courses run over 4 days .You can pay up to £750 for some courses.

Many already on the fleet rgister will tell you there is no work. Truth is there is work everywhere and its set for massive expansion in the next few years.Its up to you to go out and get it it wont just fall in your lap.

I work with many ADI's who do nothing else but fleet. There is a massive untapped market in the small companies ( The small builders etc) which the large fleet companies dont bother with.

Just ask yourself what you,ll be doing in five years time when the ADI market reaches saturation point. (Anybody seen it coming yet!)

I know what im doing now and will be doing then! Then theres the new corporate manslaughter bill going through parliment.........................

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 05-11-06 18:36:30

copone
Verified Member

Hi Robbie
           Agree entirely with Hector. Fleet work will take off I think within the next 12 months due to the Road Safety Bill and Corporate Manslaughter bill. I did the ROSPA National diploma course. This was over a 5 day period. You had to do a lot of revision prior to the course ie. Highway Code and Roadcraft. (need to know them inside out ) But worth it. The course is expensive, nearly £1000 inc. vat. but I certainly thought it was worth it. Once you are registered as a fleet trainer with the DSA and ROSPA, make yourself known to the big companies countrywide, and you will get the work. Hope this helps.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#7 05-11-06 23:12:07

ExAdiNigel

reference the RoSPA Diploma, if you take the RoADAR test and [ass it at Gold level, you are often offered £100 discount on the Diploma course.

Nigel

#8 06-11-06 05:38:40

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

thanks guys for all the info.
its defo something i want to look into, as many adi's around here already do it or are starting to train for it.
i think anything like that is worth doing.

#9 09-11-06 07:47:01

Trumper
Verified Member

I did the DSA route far cheaper, just payed the test fees. Didn't waste money on any extra training passed all 3 first time within 3 months. Quiet easy would advise this route

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#10 09-11-06 19:15:45

hector
Verified Member
Website

Yeh if you're already up to scratch go the DSA route.

Presumably though trumper you had already done some fleet work and knew the standard required?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#11 09-11-06 20:57:48

copsecavaliers
Verified Member
Website

Hello all,
I have looked into the DIA course, like the other courses it is £600 +, I didn't realize there were so many alternatives. Just one question could anyone please advise what prices they charge?

Many thanks
Alex

#12 10-11-06 06:20:35

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Alex
The courses all vary dramatically you need to view the syllabus and course duration in relation to the course cost.
The dia's course is a four day course for example and differs from the others in that you must have passed the dia special test to take the course.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#13 10-11-06 07:47:51

Trumper
Verified Member

Hector

Never done Fleet work before. Part 1 is only 365 qu's so that was easy. Part2 all is required is a high standard of basic Part2 a.d.i test. Part 3 I produced a quick presentation then off we went . Bit like a Part 3 test .

Quiet easy really. Most A.D.I 's should be able to enter fleet this way. Save's the old ££££££££

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#14 10-11-06 11:03:05

Blew
Verified Member

I have just booked my diamond special test and am hoping to go on and do the fleet course, the variety of work is what intrests me in fleet work

Got to get through the diamond special yet though  lol lol

drive28mh.gif

Blew.

#15 10-11-06 17:47:21

Doug
Verified Member
Website

DSA Course of action might be cheapest.

However as already stated, getting work from other companies, they will expect you to take and pay for their course anyway.

Yet another money making scheme for the providers. neutral

Doug

#16 10-11-06 20:19:56

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Trumper
I understand what you are saying, but there really is more to an accredited course than simply taking the exams.

For example questions are far more relevant than the DSA question bank! and discussion takes place involving feedback.

Not all ADI's are up to part two standard,(Is it a higher standard 4 faults and differing style) many are up to it without training though so thats fair enough.

The average ADI certainly wouldnt walstz through a coaching test and plenty of practical training is offered on a fleet course.( the DSA are toughening the standard up gradually)

Presentation skills are also dealt with in more detail, plus the health and safety at work act, how to promote and find work for yourself in the fleet sector etc etc...

If for instance an ADI took two attempts at driving and coaching ability then the cost approaches the same as the accredited course route.

Id agree with you though to be honest anyone with some fleet experience may go the DSA route, but for a bit extra there is more to an accredited course in general. Sailing through with an examiner in the know will not happen.

The standard expected now is way way higher than previously,(Even last year) and especially the check test for fleet is a whole new ball game now SE's are being trained up properely.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 01-12-06 18:26:26

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

I took the accredited route & have been DSA Fleet registered for over a 18months (ish). I have found that its only Rospa that have insisted upon there training course before handing out work.

My healthy looking workload comes from 3 big fleet companies, a few learners & safed.

Highly recommended to all ADI's

DSA Course of action might be cheapest.

However as already stated, getting work from other companies, they will expect you to take and pay for their course anyway.

Yet another money making scheme for the providers. neutral

Doug

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

#18 01-12-06 18:51:15

hector
Verified Member
Website

Good post Trentender

If your on the fleet register and cant get work you are doing something wrong!

Myself and many other ADI's i know concentrate on fleet and find the work easy to come by.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#19 01-12-06 18:57:23

Blew
Verified Member

How do you get into safed training ? , i am starting the dia fleet course in feb will this all be explained ?

Blew.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 01-12-06 19:46:10

whodareswins
Verified Member

How do you get into safed training ? , i am starting the dia fleet course in feb will this all be explained ?

Blew.

Hi Blew,

I doubt very much that you would be able to get the SAFED training and subsequent work at this late stage. Initially, they were only looking for 200 Fleet Trainers as the current programme is only due to last until April 2007. I believe that they have all they need at the moment. If the DfT make more money available to subsidise additional customer training, you may get lucky.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#21 01-12-06 20:00:03

Blew
Verified Member

Ok thanks Percy

Blew.

#22 03-12-06 08:35:18

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Just a thought on this one, If you go the RoSPA route many other fleet training companies will recognise it but RoSPA do not accept others, and Nigel is right the RoSPA course does tend to be a bit dearer.
Also you will assist a team leader for some time before you are sent to jobs alone.

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#23 03-12-06 16:03:51

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Rospa aren't big enough in the fleet market to warrant spending the extra money on their course, just in case they offer you some work.

There are some good quality courses out there that will give you the same result but a couple of hundred pounds cheaper.

For 99% of fleet companies you are either DSA Fleet Registered or not.

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

#24 06-12-06 19:43:46

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Re all the Fleet Training companies out there.
I have made a few enquiries but they all wanted me to do their course. As i have my fleet badge i declined.
Anybody out there know of any decent companies looking for trainers in eastg anglia.
Any help will be greatley appreciated.

My advice Scooter is to Google Fleet Training Companies & send a CV to every last 1 of them! It will be less than a fiver in postage.

Be sure to include your most impressive qualification.......Tesco loyalty card holder - lol

#25 06-12-06 20:57:57

ExAdiNigel

Scooter,

You're a RoSPA examiner, and ADI and you hold your fleet badge and RoSPA wont give you any work?

Nigel

Board footer