You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-11-06 16:30:59

Target
Verified Member
Website

IAMS - Questions

Well I passed my IAMS today, all very straight forward stuff and the examiner gave some very valid points. Some as an Adi you need to be careful that it does not move away too much from the DSA way of testing.

The main difference I can see is less enthasis seems to be placed on eco driving, and your best defence is not to be there, rather than checking when you could just be accelerating away.

Probably not the correct way of seeing, but thats how it comes across.

However. I was asked a few questions at the end. Some a little tricky by the way they were asked, its rather the question not understood than not knowing the answer.

I was asked in wet weather other than using your wipers, what other control MUST be used.

My reply. Your lights, but I did not realise it was a legal requirement.

Can someone please confirm. I've just checked the HWC. Yes you MUST use headlights when visability is seriously reduce, but it does not say you MUST use them when it is raining.

I was not about to argue with a policeman. big_smile

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

03-11-06 16:30:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: IAMS - Questions

#2 03-11-06 16:44:58

posh
Verified Member

well done on your pass  8-)not really sure  that its a leagal requirement to use them when its raining but  it can help you be seen more if windows steam up etc. i tend to put them on automatically when its raining for some strange reason, just cause its usually very dull when its raining.

#3 03-11-06 17:45:22

copone
Verified Member

Well done on passing the test. Have a drink to celebrate tonight, you deserve it. In relation to adverse weather conditions, when it rains put headlights on. People can see you earlier. Once again well done.

ADI. Class 1 Police Advanced. HGV Class 1. Member of IAM AND DIA. Rospa Gold. National Diploma for Advanced Instruction. and Examiner. IAM fleet trainer. Safed trainer.

#4 03-11-06 18:01:10

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations on your IAM Test!!!!!  I recently did mine and found like you the emphasis was on really making progress, showing a really smooth ride and almost un DSA'ing myself to adapt to this new method.  Loved the straight lining on corners and found not indicatiing at every oppoturtunity quite bizarre!  I didn't get asked any questions at the end, like you, wouldn't have argued with the copper!   wink  Having said that, I did ask him to not use jargon after he told me to turn left at the ATS - I was looking for the tyre place, not the traffic lights!  roll

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#5 03-11-06 18:47:57

hector
Verified Member
Website

I recently did mine and found like you the emphasis was on really making progress

SAYS IT ALL IM AFRAID ABOUT THIS TEST, DONT THE POLICE THINK DRIVERS ARE MAKING TOO MUCH FOOKING PROGRESS ALREADY!

Well done anyway target cracking result!!!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 03-11-06 21:23:42

Target
Verified Member
Website

Thanks!....I would always use headlights in the rain or when visibility is reduce, even if that is bright sunshine.

I doubt the questioning would have made any difference to the result of the drive, but some did surprise me.

Q. Could you name 4 types of weather conditions that may require you to use your rear fog lights, and please do not mention less than 100metres visability.

( brain working here, thinking, if I mention 100 metres visability that covers all eventualities.). However.

I replied.

1. Fog
2. Rain
3. Snow

Sorry!....I cannot think of another I really can't.

4. Spray from the road after its stopped raining.

Oh!....Ok...........Thank you. neutral Yes I so wanted to say buts thats covered by the rain, but I never did.

Its all done now, and what with my 7th attempt pupil passing also this morning its been a very pleasant day. big_smile

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 03-11-06 22:58:54

c-way
Verified Member
Website

I recently did mine and found like you the emphasis was on really making progress

SAYS IT ALL IM AFRAID ABOUT THIS TEST, DONT THE POLICE THINK DRIVERS ARE MAKING TOO MUCH FOOKING PROGRESS ALREADY!

Well done anyway target cracking result!!!

Hector  thanks for the reply and quoting my post, nice to see that your spell check is working a treat.  Never seen that swear word spelt that way or were you just afraid to use it?

Having seen the complete alphabet you quote in your signature of qualifications, what is it about the IAM that you are so against?  Blimey, I thought my laptop was going to crash with the amount of venom you threw at it!  Apologies in advance if Iam being unfair in my reply!

#8 04-11-06 06:43:31

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi c-way
Nothing against iam itself just the principle on which it is based and i feel the same about the DSA system to be honest (Regarding progress).

Too mush emphasis on keeping up with traffic flow, driving to the limit point etc....
Again why straight line bends and not indicate in certain situations?

Yeh i know its fine when its safe and your driving with high concentration but what when it becomes habit and your concentration isnt what it should be?

The biggest problem on british roads im sure everyone would agree is driving too fast, not signalling, straightening corners and bends etc..

All this progress is a complete waste of time in modern day traffic.

I do think all the iams volunteers do a great job. Its only certain critera i and many others would disagree with.
Prehaps im totally wrong on all the above? if i went and did the test,drove to  DSA standard  and did everything as normal would i pass?
Are the tests actually very close together now?

If i signalled everywhere would i get faulted? after all if there was no one there who could i confuse? If i took the DSA recomended position on bends for safety would i be faulted? If i positioned the DSA way on roundabouts would i be faulted?

Ill sit back and wait for the flack!!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 04-11-06 07:33:04

ExAdiNigel

hector wrote:

Well here come my comments, don't think it will be flack though!

Hi c-way
Nothing against iam itself just the principle on which it is based and i feel the same about the DSA system to be honest (Regarding progress).

Too mush emphasis on keeping up with traffic flow,

Well, not keeping up, conditions & ability dependant,  can cause frustration and anger in the plebs behind, so I am happy for this to be pushed provided that similar emphasis is placed on ensuring it is safe to do so.

hector wrote:

driving to the limit point etc....

The only part where limit point comes into it is for judging your speed for bends.  I find it an extremely useful method for teaching to learners.  I have never understood why this only tends to be taught at experienced driver level rather than novice level who are the ones that usually need more help in judging speed on bends.

hector wrote:

Again why straight line bends and not indicate in certain situations?

Why not?  If the road has low hedges and you can see clearly, the car is better balanced in a straight line.  On an official basis, I think you will find that both, RoADAR & IAM, will not recommend straightening bends.

The not signalling in some cases, I think is as much an aid for the examiner or trainer as anything else.  If someone signals when there is absolutely nothing around - have they really looked properly?

hector wrote:

Yeh i know its fine when its safe and your driving with high concentration but what when it becomes habit and your concentration isnt what it should be?

That can apply to anyone with ANY style of driving.

hector wrote:

The biggest problem on british roads im sure everyone would agree is driving too fast, not signalling, straightening corners and bends etc..

All this progress is a complete waste of time in modern day traffic.

Is it?  Depends what you mean by progress.  The emphasis isn't on fast acceleration and getting up to the speed limit asap regardless.  Progress is about observation, planning for events early so you probably don't need to slow down as much or stop as often.

hector wrote:

I do think all the iams volunteers do a great job. Its only certain critera i and many others would disagree with.
Prehaps im totally wrong on all the above? if i went and did the test,drove to  DSA standard  and did everything as normal would i pass?
Are the tests actually very close together now?

If i signalled everywhere would i get faulted? after all if there was no one there who could i confuse? If i took the DSA recomended position on bends for safety would i be faulted? If i positioned the DSA way on roundabouts would i be faulted?

You would probably pass driving to part 2 standard.  There is nothing in part 2 that would be considered a fail in IAM or RoADAR.   It probably would only get a bronze in RoADAR though, more work would be needed for Silver or Gold.

TargetADI wrote:

The main difference I can see is less enthasis seems to be placed on eco driving, and your best defence is not to be there, rather than checking when you could just be accelerating away.

A lot of emphasis is placed on eco but not at the expense of safety.  Much emphasis is put on 'not getting involved' so yes, in many cases, you best form of defense is to not be there.  Not sure what you mean by not checking though?  Not checking what?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 04-11-06 10:19:15

c-way
Verified Member
Website

What more can I add, the above just sums my thoughts up perfectly! Cheers for that.

#11 04-11-06 10:29:01

Gizmotime
Administrator

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the Observers smile

#12 04-11-06 10:35:45

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi Gizmotime, I am off to see my IAM Observer later to start some training for me to become an Observer.. any tips?

#13 04-11-06 11:14:16

ExAdiNigel

Hi Gizmotime, I am off to see my IAM Observer later to start some training for me to become an Observer.. any tips?

enjoy

#14 04-11-06 11:20:54

ExAdiNigel

Thanks for raising that one again Dimmy, I meant to address that earlier but forgot!

I suspect this muppet of an examiner is on his own with the answer to this question.  I totally agree that is inappropriate to use fog lights in rain or spray.  The highway code says when visibility is reduced to 100m or less and then goes on to mention in fog or falling snow!  Doesn't mention rain.

With many cars only having one rear fog light fitted it doesn't hide the brake lights as much as it would if there were two rear foglights though.

Nigel

#15 04-11-06 11:22:37

ExAdiNigel

Actually we are all going off on a complete tangent here.  The title says IAMS - Questions.

We have all been commenting on the IAM test.  IAMS, as many pet owners will know, is a pet food!

Nigel

#16 04-11-06 11:46:27

Gizmotime
Administrator

Using fog lights inappropriatly is expected as part of their test.

NO it is NOT, we all know the rules for using Fog lights.
Do not use them unless visability is less than 100mtrs.

#17 04-11-06 12:26:28

luchell

Well Nigel, my four cats enjoy the chicker IAMS rather than the fishy ones lol

#18 04-11-06 15:06:45

Target
Verified Member
Website

I think the examiner was just following a line of questioning.

If visability in any conditions whether Rain/Snow/Fog or just a simple bush fire I'd consider my safety and that of others and when to use fog lights. To be honest its about once a year. Weathers rarely that bad down here in the city.

Just to recap. I took a 90 minute assessment and a 1 hour mock test before sitting the test on friday.

I've very much drove to my part 2 standard, the main difference for me was accelerating when I'd usally be off the gas letting the car slow and saving fuel. At no time did the observers mention straight lining r/abouts and considering signals at every junction. In fact he was very clear. I asked the question about signals.

The observer felt that a signal was not necessary if you were in a lane to turn right or left, and that if you could not see into a junction till very late, then its better to signal rather than leave it too late. So signal for what you cannot see, but what could potential require indication.

I was also surprised being asked to left reverse onto the major road.

Its been interesting and I've picked up a few ideas.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#19 04-11-06 15:16:25

Target
Verified Member
Website

Read that back when I posted the thread and not sure what I meant. Trust someone to point it out. big_smile

There can be a little too much enthasis on progress, I'm not saying that you should take risks, but when entering the motorway I decided to hang back and let a car pass. The examiner felt I should have made my checks and looked to accelerate away. To me you need to give the other cars a chance, its not a race track.

However, I've taken on board the points he said and a very good explanation of the postioning on the slip lane. ( again a contraversal point about using either the left lane or right hand lane on the slip ).  The ex wanted me on the right, thus not needing a blind spot check(perhaps), which could have put me in front of the other car.

I just put this down to different assessments. Some of the routes I've been found are very good for Pass Plus. If I ever get to take someone on pass plus.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#20 04-11-06 16:54:27

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
re fogs in heavy rain and spray.
There are occasions on m/ways for instance where you want to overtake LGVs through the curtain of spray Headlights help the truck driver know you are coming and he is high up as well so is probably able to see you, approaching from behind, over the spray; but the rear fogs keep your vehicle visible nto anyone following for longer as and after you are going through the spray.
Turn them back off once well clear.

#21 04-11-06 17:16:38

ExAdiNigel

....However, I've taken on board the points he said and a very good explanation of the postioning on the slip lane. ( again a contraversal point about using either the left lane or right hand lane on the slip ).  The ex wanted me on the right, thus not needing a blind spot check(perhaps), which could have put me in front of the other car.....

There will always be arguments for and against either lane on slip roads and it will always be personal preference that wins out in the end.

If the slip road is downhill or on the flat, the RH lane will give you better visibility & make you visible sooner, probably less likely for soeone else to comeup alongside you and try to join at the same time.  If slip road is uphill then the LH lane will be better for visibility, you are more likely to have someone come alongside you and try and joing at the same time but the LH lane will give you longer to adjust your speed to join.

Nigel

Board footer