You are not logged in.

#1 12-09-06 00:15:13

Nat
Verified Member

Check test

Hiya,

After hearing how behind DSA were with check tests and that I probably wouldn't get one for 18 months here I am with a letter!

I had made my mind up that I would go role-play as I just don't feel that I would be any good with being watched. But the letter says I would only have 5 mins to prepare (I was under the impression it was a few days!!) So that doesn't appeal to me as if they choose crossroads there is a lack of them here so I tend to cover them in theory and then deal with them as they come up - not as a separate lesson.

It's the end of Oct and I don't have anyone in my diary for that far in advance. So when do I send the slip back?

Also it doesn't say it's educational  I qualified in March so have I missed the educational??

Haven't a clue what to do on the lesson or who to take as it's a bit far in advance.

I was so short of work for ages when I started that I don't feel that I have the experience to carry this off. Something the SE said to me on my part 3 was "that was ok for part 3 but if it had been a check test you would have been boll**ed for letting them overtake the cyclists" - now THAT scares me!!

Any advice please?

12-09-06 00:15:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check test

#2 12-09-06 09:36:20

luchell

Hiya Nat, It is an educational if it is within the first year of you qualifying. I read somewhere, another forum the other day you will always get an E unless you ask for a grade which is actually untrue. The S.e will explain before you go out. If you make a 4 5 or 6 you will be given that grade. If you fall short it will simply be marked as an E and you will be seen again within 6 months.

I had mine within 4 to 5 months of passing. As you will probably know i took a full licence holder... My mum. If there is a full licence holder you know who is scared of the volume of traffic on our roads or cannot cope with roundabouts or reverse parking etc you could by all means use them. Keep it simple and do not over complicate things. I did anticipation and forward planning. My 'pupil' suffered with large lack of confidence in todays traffic with people behaving in a road rage manner around her due to her lack of anticipation of other road users and poor forward planning so she was always getting in other peoples way oblivious to the dangers.

La mon took her son on a pass plus session for hers also. I worried i may be marked down for attitude to pupil but to be honest he was fine about it. I had to call her 'mum'  lol We had some banter going on but in a professional way. You must not take an Adi on your check test but you can help yourself to a full licence holder.

I didn't want roleplay although i wouldn't have been that bothered. The Se will explain everything well to you at the start. I had to change my lesson to mini roundabouts ans mirrors in the end as mum neatly kept flying over the white circle on the roundabouts  roll Don't be afraid to change the topic if needed. I just said OK we are going to alter todays lesson slightly. We will continue on the next lesson with anticipation and forward planning but i would like to discuss roundabouts and your use of mirrors.... then went into q and a.

#3 12-09-06 11:47:01

deeppurple
Verified Member

hi nat
i had check test last may it was my second and i opted for role play. the seadi for our area contacted me the week before to tell me the subject matter and to give me some basic facts about the pupil. while out on the lesson faults made where as expected for the subject matter, apart from this the only other fault was connected to the lesson they said they had had before the check test. at the end i improved on my grade so was happy all round big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 13-09-06 15:35:00

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Hi Nat,

Had my first check test this afternoon. I qualified in February this year.  SE said it was an educational as it was my first check test but pleased to say I was graded a 4. I covered dual carriageways. I had my letter a couple of months ago from DSA and decided to use my own pupil. I had no idea at the time which pupil or lesson I would teach but as it got nearer the time, three weeks away I chose a pupil and lesson that would be appropriate to her current level of driving. 
Use one of your own pupils if you can.

Bob

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#5 01-11-06 15:37:49

Nat
Verified Member

Hiya,

I had my check test yesterday and opted for role-play. The examiner told me on Friday that the scenario would be that he was a disqualified driver who I had to prepare for an extended test.

The faults were: driving too fast, over the speed limit and on junctions, straight lining roundabouts, no mirror use, coasting, following too close etc.

Am pleased to say that I got a grade 4 and that he said that he could see lots of potential in me  big_smile

Thanks for the advice!

Board footer