You are not logged in.

#1 13-11-04 13:47:07

davep1270
Verified Member

failed part 1

Hi guys i just failed my HP test after getting scores of 68-72 all week.  I'm doing the course with BSM, and i was quietly confident of passing . the questions wasnt a problem but the clips in hazard test were completely different from the ones i'd been practising on!!! can you buy the official clips anywhere? i got three big fat zero's on the test and scored a measley 49-75 (gutted). so please let me know if i can get clips any where. 
                                 thanks Dave

13-11-04 13:47:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: failed part 1

#2 13-11-04 15:56:57

VandADI
Administrator

Hi davep,
I am so sorry to hear your news of part 1.
Which clips were you practicing on may I ask?
I found it is best to use the ones produced by the DSA and they are the roadsense ones.  This portrays a true picture of the scoring window whereas all the other HPT software (including BSM's) only estimate where the scoring window starts and finishes.
You cannot obtain the exact clips that they use on the tests as once you have used the roadsense DVD  you should have a pretty good idea of how the scoring window system works.
Onwards and upwards my friend, have another go, and best of luck.
VandADI.

#3 15-11-04 08:55:29

Kaz

Hi Dave,
I have also just failed my first attempt at the theory test because of the HP test :shock: . I'm training with LDC and they provide quite a good CD-Rom but i found the actual test was far more sensitive to my clicking patterns and i got 0 on the first clip. I phoned the nice people at LDC the next day and they told me to only click once as soon as you see the harzard then again when it definatly is in your way! Hope this makes sence! It seems to be gradually improving my scores.... They also advised me to get the Focus driving test success hazard perception CD-Rom (available from amazon online) go it this morning so am away to play with it now!!
Hope this helps, good luck let us know how it goes and i'll do the same..

Kaz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 15-11-04 10:59:48

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Keep at it you'll soon get through.

The 2-click approach that Kaz mentioned seems to work fairly well. It did for me, and none of my pupils have had any trouble using this method.

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#5 16-11-04 14:11:35

Mazboy

VandADI, do you know where i can get a copy of the DSA Roadsense DVD as i can't dind it on their site?

#6 16-11-04 14:55:49

VandADI
Administrator

Mazboy,
You can pick up new and used copies from www.ebay.co.uk. I have bought several from here, all new, and cost around £6. Check out whats on offer at the moment.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/roadsense-dvd_W0QQsoloctogZ9.
Alternatively, if you go onto www.dsa.gov.uk, you will find a link to publications,
click on this, and this will take you to The Stationery Office, price £15.99.
http://www.tso.co.uk/bookshop/bookstore … &DI=509025
Vanda.

#7 18-12-04 22:54:19

Rog
Website

Dave,

You have my full sympathy. Sat my part one yesterday after months of cramming with the LDC study material. I knew my theory level was good and my hazard perception scores were averaging 70 out of 75. The end result was 100 on the theory. Where as my first clip on the hazard perception was disallowed for too many clicks! Even though there was less then half a screen of GENUINE clicks! This left me in the dilemma of what to do with the rest of the clips, reduce my clicks or continue in the instructed fashion and risk further disqualification. I chose to reduce the number of clicks and hence my respective score dropped to 47 and I obviously failed. I was absolutely gutted!

I know how the system and scoring works and I know what is supposed to be looked on as ‘irregular’ clicking i.e. a pattern of clicks ‘outside the scoring window’, at no point did I do this. I only clicked once for each hazard that didn’t develop any further and clicked 3 to 4 times for a hazard as it developed. In total this came to less then half a screen of flags at random intervals.

As soon as I got back I contacted LDC to find out what the hell had gone wrong. I'd put a lot of effort into ensuring that a pass on both segments was in the bag. Pat Firth (star of their training video) was very helpful and consoled me by informing me that many other trainee ADI's had also complained about the DSA HPT program. LDC had already spoken to the DSA about the fact that the pass rate for the ADI HPT (not the learner driver version) has been tumbling over the last year. LDC were of the opinion that the program has been changed. The DSA denied this, however the freedom of information act will allow LDC to see how the DSA program works in early Jan 05. In the mean time Pat is sending me out LDC's latest HPT CD, which has had the program sensitivity' tweaked'. She has also asked me to email her a copy of my results along with my thoughts; these will be compiled along with their other trainee HPT failures and presented as evidence to the DSA by the MD of LDC.

I then spoke to my instructor who was also aware of the problem and had received 2 calls in the last week from other students experiencing the same. Apparently, all ADI's who passed prior to the introduction of the HPT test will have to sit it from Jan 05 - they’re obviously not very happy about this!

Rog

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

Board footer