You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-04 00:27:16

jonks

How long does it take?

From the point of thinking "I want to be a driving instructor!" to actually teaching you first student, how long did it take you?

20-03-04 00:27:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How long does it take?

#2 20-03-04 07:20:32

Liesa

It took me 10 months untill I started teaching, but 18 months untill I qualified! smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 20-03-04 08:36:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I started training in March 1990, Went Pink in August and qualified in October. So about 9 months.

But I had been thinking about doing it for a year or so before.

Regards,

#4 21-03-04 07:48:16

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Good question Jonks!

Many potential ADIs will be attracted by the sales pitch of companies that suggest training can be completed in 4 months.  Whilst this is possible (only just) it is also extremely rare and very, very hard - especially with the waiting times for tests that are currently being experienced.

I would suggest that you are looking at a minimum of 6 months from commencement of training, but more likely 9 - 12 months or even longer. If a trainee licence is taken then the time to qualification will be even longer still.

Too many trainees get a little excited when they pass their part 2 and they can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. Too often this results in them rushing their part 3 and trying to do it in a similar time to that taken for their part 2.  Part 3 is where the really hard work begins (look at the pass rates) so sit back, take your time and study and practice like mad. Far better to pass 1st time after 10 months than fail your 3 attempts in 6 months!  In my experience, rushing part 3 is one of the biggest causes of failure.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#5 21-03-04 19:46:25

Ozzie

Hi All,

It took me 12 months to the day from signing up to passing part 3, passed all parts first time. I was also still in full-time employment and didn't do a pink licence, going straight to green.

Oz

#6 24-03-04 17:35:54

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I did'nt go for a 'pink' and from start to finish it took 13 months.

The test dates where a problem, i found myself waiting around for each one except part 1 test.

#7 14-04-04 21:14:02

bronach

As a newbie to this I'm a bit confused by this pink & green license.

Someone wrote "It took me 10 months untill I started teaching, but 18 months untill I qualified"

Can you teach if you are not qualified ? Can you teach after passing pt1 & pt2 ?

Also, I live in Salisbury, does anyone know of a school in the area for Instructors - looks like the nearest one is in Southampton as far as I can tell.

bronach

#8 14-04-04 22:02:09

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Bronach,

Once you have passed parts 1 and 2, and have completed the training for the part 3 exam you can apply for a trainee licence which is valid for 6 months and may give you a chance to develop a bit of fluency with your instructional ability. Further training or supervision rules also apply.
This licence is PINK.

It's not always a good idea, have a look at some of the posts to give you a sense of what is best for you.

Once you have passed your part 3 exam you apply for your full ADI licence which is GREEN. Make this your goal!

Regards,

#9 14-04-04 22:05:58

bronach

Ah  , now I get it.

Many thanks Red. I must say this is a very friendly and helpful forum. Lots of good advice and experience.

Does anyone know how to find an independent Instructor inmy area ?

Bronach

#10 14-04-04 22:11:40

Lynne
Verified Member

I started training for my Pt 1 Dec 2001, took Pt 1 exam Feb 02.  Passed Pt 2 August 02 (waited 3 months for test date).  Then had to wait until e.o. October until BSM could fit me in for Pt 3 training (not a happy bunny).  Went out on a pink November 02.  Finally passed Pt 3 October 03 (again waiting ages for Pt 3 test dates).  That was well and truly drawn out!

Lynne

#11 14-04-04 22:11:45

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Bronach

Visit the DSA website at www.driving-tests.co.uk and look uo the ordit regsiter. You can then find a suitably qualified trainer close to your area.

Let us know how you get on

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#12 15-04-04 21:40:04

jamiejungle1

hi bronach
my names jamiejungle and  i work mainly in the salisbury area although i trained with discover driving in the north 3 years ago, when i moved down last year i wanted some help with my check test (as the first one didnt go to plan) i used a1roadcraft based at the livestock market on netherhampton rd. the training was first class and i got grade 5 so was very chuffed, might be worth giving them a ring would save you going all the way to southhampton
hope this helps    good luck

#13 16-04-04 06:44:10

bronach

Hi Jamie

Thanks for info. Netherhampton is indeed a lot closer . I'll check them out and see what they are like. What is it like to teach in Salisbury ? Are you busy enough ? Do you make a good living from it ?

regs
Bronach

#14 16-04-04 07:03:15

jamiejungle1

tongue hi bronach

i used to teach in leeds/wakefield/bradford etc. so compared to that i found salisbury a breeze its very easy to learn.the market is quite good at the moment as are most areas,  yes ive plenty of work but you get highs and lows in this game, im happy to do 35 hours of teaching a week
add in travel time between lessons etc. and thats enough!
                    in my experience the longer you do the job the less you have to chase work and the more it chases you  roll

#15 22-04-04 18:45:34

VandADI
Administrator

Hi,
It took me 18 months, from signing up to passing part 3.  It would have been sooner if not for the excessive waiting times for parts 2 and 3.

#16 26-04-04 23:33:36

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

It's taken me about 14 months altogether, somewhat longer than I had anticipated.

I finally passed my Part 3 last Thursday, at the 3rd attempt - I can't recall doing anything quite so stressful in my life! Yet I'm as cool as a cucumber with my pupils.

I started about Feb 2003 and began teaching on the pink licence in Sept.

I would echo DSE's comments about rushing Part 3 - I wasn't really ready for my 1st attempt only getting a grade 3 on both parts. I was very nervous for my 2nd attempt and went completely to pieces on Phase 1 ending up with a 2, but then relaxed and got a 5 for Phase 2.

The 3rd attempt was horrendous - way too much pressure. The thought of having to give up the only job I've ever loved the following day was almost too much, and I very nearly blew it. Fortunately I manged to pull myself together and get a grade 4.

I think the system is awful - I'm great with my pupils, get referrals and lots of +ve feedback. And I had 7 out of 8 tests passed last month. Why can't the DSA look at this instead.

Regards,

Jason

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#17 27-04-04 07:09:59

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Jason,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

One of the best feelings ever eh? Many of us oldies remember the pressure of the part 3 and really don't wan't to ever have to do it again.

For 13 years I've been wondering why the DSA don't do things differently, but they are the DSA and don't seem to think anything is wrong with their methods - Only ours.

I hope you enjoy being a full ADI, look forward to hearing mor from you soon.

Regards,

#18 27-04-04 08:03:47

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Red,

I'm looking forward to getting my green licence, but do begrudge having to fork out even more money to the DSA.

In my short time in the industry I've already become quite disillusioned with the DSA, which is a sorry state of affairs for someone entering the industry. But my overriding impression is of an organisation obsessed with making money and not giving a damn about its customers. They have a monopoly on driving tests and this is a very unhealthy situation.

I haven't got the time to detail my experiences with them so far, and this may not be the right topic under which to discuss it, but it's a good job I enjoy teaching learners so much otherwise I might never had made this far.

All the best,

Jason

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

Board footer