You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-08-06 00:55:07

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Is Ordit registration worth it, and if so, how to get it

Just wondering really, know it's a bit of a hot topic out there, some trainers refusing to be on it, a few cowboys who are on it, and some very reputable firms pushing for it to be made compulsory.
I do some instructor training and i've read the dsa guidlines, and i feel i give good training to my guys, but i'd still like to be able to say that i am actually 'official', and i haven't been able to find any good courses that don't cost me a fortune, as the company i work for (i'm not self-employed - yet) can't afford to put me through these very expensive courses.

29-08-06 00:55:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is Ordit registration worth it, and if so, how to get it

#2 29-08-06 05:46:37

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi
The ordit register is worthwhile and i would seriously consider getting on it, it will become compulsory at some stage anyway, even the DSA cant keep messing things up eventually!

Once on the ORDIT register your details go to every pdi in the land along with the ADI 14 pack, this alone for you makes it a valid option as it generates so many enquires.

Any trainer who isnt on it well thats up to them, i just cannot understand why not, when you look at comments like 'I dont want to line the DSA's pockets' etc then the above dispels that completely as £150.00 a year in costs for the above advertising is damn cheap.As a trainee do you really want to be trained by someone who is that anti DSA policy they wont even consider  passing the basic qualification to teach you?

You get to see the SE twice in a two year period to be inspected and always have a good discussion and positive advice is always given.
I cant see why any trainer would want to avoid being on ORDIT, again the old argument that some poor trainers are on it just doesn't wash at all.
It's simply a minimum standard to be achieved and you should aim to get yourself plenty of extra qualifications in addittion.
All my work comes from either recomendation or the fact im on ordit,and once my details are seen i have a major edge over the other competitors with extra qualifications.
If you think you are up to standard why not apply yourself for ordit registration? (My training wouldnt cost you a fortune!)
Send me a pm if you want any advice on applying.

For me personally this is what i would consider the minimum qualifications to train someone else to be a driving instructorfor the following reasons:

3 years experience(Minimum)

As an ADI you constantly learn and what you consider good instruction in the first year, you soon realise later on wasnt!!Vast majority of ADI's get a grade 4 to begin and go on to achive 5 or 6 on next check test, as they rapidly improve and gain experience.

Grade 5 or 6

If someone is a grade four then they are only satisfying the very basic criteria to be a driving instructor and certainly shouldnt be allowed to teaach others. Any doubters about this should be refered to the DSA desciption of a grade four.(Yeh i know 1 hour in a few years isnt a proper indication of an ADI's abilitys BUT if you cant prove your skills in one hour to an SE something is wrong) There is very little between a grade 5 and 6

ORDIT

Yeh we know your brilliant PROVE IT why not.

Diploma di

Your going to need to teach your trainees about Instructional techniques,vehicle maintenance,legal obligations,driving theory and skills,management pracvtice and procedures.
So go and prove you can do it yourself.

Cardington or diamond special test

Your training to a very high strandard so again prove you can achieve it.Plus you should be able to train others to achieve these test passes.

Fleet register

If your not on this how can you tell your clients about the fastest expanding area of instruction. your selling them short. Your turning out half an instuctor!

Cert in adult education

Again teaching adults is very different to teaching learners plus you need to be able to teach others to do classroom presentations so you need to be able to do it yourself

Diamond advanced instructor/examiner

To do part two you should be able to examine on advanced driving tests the above qualification proves that.

ba (Hons) driver education

Try to achieve the above as the ultimate accolade.

All the above take time, money and damn hard work. But should be considered as a futre basis for anyone intending to teach others to teach.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 16-10-06 12:51:48

Target
Verified Member
Website

This is a very informative post Hector.

If the work keeps coming in I should be able to progress sooner rather than later on my CPD route.

Couple of questions:

1. Can you become Ordit Registered for part 2 only, until you take a further course for part 3 training.

2. How do you see the DIA accredited courses as they appear to have their feet on the ground and know what they are talking about.

3. Realistically, how long would the self study take to pass the DipDi?

Thanks

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#4 16-10-06 16:06:22

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Target

1/Yes you can qualify for part 2 only initially. this will also qualify you for part 1 in the same way part 3 qualifies you for part 2.
Go for it! 
The SE will be looking for you to teach advanced driving skills with little margin for error.

2/ Im pm you on this one!!

3/ Start now for next May's exams and you could concievellaby do all 5 next year.I did it that way and know a couple of others who did too.(I didnt start revising till feb to be honest!) Time / effort is needed.If you can allow say 5-10 hrs study time between now and then that gives you a very good chance.
If you dont pass all then so be it its another year!

Certain smart arses actually read all of the question paper also and that gives a better chance of passing (Hello PJ)

Just one point for everyone regarding CPD. the DSA are going to allow a period of 5 years back for CPD to count (from the date it begins).

So for example if you did the Diploma now and CPD didnt get up and running for over 5 years you would need to do it again!!!! They have comprimised on this from 3 years though.

Hope this helps
Regards Nigel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 16-10-06 16:28:09

pj
Verified Member

Certain smart arses actually read all of the question paper also and that gives a better chance of passing (Hello PJ)

Hello Hector XX wink

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#6 16-10-06 17:10:37

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Does anyone actually know what this CPD requirement from the dsa will actually involve? Is this another good reason to get into ORDIT now?

#7 16-10-06 18:48:06

hector
Verified Member
Website

Ordit is ongoing so whenever! assed bienally so it will always count as for example rospa gold.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-10-06 19:25:04

whodareswins
Verified Member

Just one point for everyone regarding CPD. the DSA are going to allow a period of 5 years back for CPD to count (from the date it begins).

So for example if you did the Diploma now and CPD didnt get up and running for over 5 years you would need to do it again!!!! They have comprimised on this from 3 years though.

Hector,

Dream on!! Where did you get this info from?  As far as I am aware, the minutes of the last CPD meeting with RED and the DSA (earlier this month) have not been published yet.

Percy.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#9 17-10-06 21:06:24

hector
Verified Member
Website

Thats the latest from ACDE at Cardington conference last wednesday.

He was insistant recent discussions and rumours were untrue about the 3 year period.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#10 18-10-06 12:13:52

whodareswins
Verified Member

Thats the latest from ACDE at Cardington conference last wednesday.

He was insistant recent discussions and rumours were untrue about the 3 year period.

Hi Nigel,

At the meeting, Mike Richardson stated that while some very recent qualifications will count, old ones wouldn't.  He had no knowledge of what these might be or the dates acceptable.

As a matter of interest; were you at the meeting? If not, who gave you your information?

Percy

#11 18-10-06 12:17:40

hector
Verified Member
Website

Yes i was there wednesday were you?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#12 18-10-06 12:19:58

whodareswins
Verified Member

No, I wasn't there but one of my colleagues was, and that was what they told me (from notes taken).

Percy

#13 18-10-06 12:27:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

I  must have been at a different meeting then! cause 5 years was definitely mentioned as the basis for the future of cpd.

Some delegates were told 3 years at a recent meeting (ADI federation i think) and the examiner in question was keen to indicate this wasnt the case.

'Very recent' was indicated as up to 5 years back.Presumably for things like dia diploma which arent repeated or check tested.They were very vague regarding the whole issue.

None of this was set in stone though by the way.Are you sure your mate didnt go thursday? they might well have said something different by then knowing the DSA!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

Board footer