You are not logged in.

#1 17-10-06 17:55:43

Krys

parallel parking

I am new here and not an instructor but I need help.Does anyone know what year parallel parking became a compulsory part of the test? My husband and I both took and passed our test in 1977. He says it was compulsory for him to do it yet I was never taught it and my examiner never asked me to do it.
Hope someone can settle this, we both come from the same area and took tests at the same centre so it can't be a regional thing.
Many thanks.

17-10-06 17:55:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: parallel parking

#2 17-10-06 19:42:43

Krys

Think I must have has a bad teacher then. All I did was reverse round a corner, hill start, three point turn and emergency stop. Not a whiff of parallel parking. Thanks for the reply

#3 17-10-06 20:31:53

Karenadi

Took my test in 1978: never taught to parallel park and not tested on it: only 'three point turn' (ie turn in the road) and left corner reverse: otherwise if you drove round a bit without hitting anything you passed as far as I can remember.

#4 17-10-06 20:35:56

Evan

Same as Karen, there weren't enough cars left parked anywhere to practice PP on anyway. All one car families in those days, clutch control was crap due to platform boots and shoes. Ev  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 17-10-06 20:56:58

den676
Verified Member

Did mine about then yikes

TIR was on a road ya cud almost U turn in, left rev & like Karen said just drive around a bit without hitting anything.

[IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k147/den676/muttley.gif[/img]

#6 17-10-06 21:12:15

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Not sure exactly when Paralel park was brought in, but it was late nineties. Good instructors taught it for ages, bad ones didn't. (Hence my inability to do it until I took my part2 training!)

#7 17-10-06 21:28:07

pj
Verified Member

I passed in 1986 and I wasn't taught it, I had to ask my instructor to teach me it after I had passed, trying to look up when it came in.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#8 17-10-06 21:40:53

pj
Verified Member

oh sod it can't find it now, I know I have read it somewhere, know hand signals where dropped in 1975 lol

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 17-10-06 22:22:58

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I remember being taught it when I was learning which was in 1993. I didnt have to do it on my test though.

#10 18-10-06 06:59:03

Krys

Many thanks Dimmy. You are a star.

#11 18-10-06 09:37:16

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

That was an april fool, was it not?

#12 18-10-06 12:55:47

megron
Verified Member

I passed my test in Nov 91 and wasn't taught reverse park.... just as well I didn't get it on my test then!!  lol lol

Just got 3 point turn, reverse round corner and emer stop and 2 questions flung at me at the end and had to identify 2 road signs which he randomly picked by just opening his flip chart at whatever page took his fancy yikes yikes

Same as you Den - my 3 point turn should have been renamed to a U turn  neutral neutral neutral

When I sat my test there was just the one test centre in East Belfast (not sure if its still the same) but all the examiners took the same route and used the same corners etc so you had already done your test about 20 times by the time it came to sit it  lol lol lol

Board footer