You are not logged in.

#1 12-10-06 21:30:43

Scattyem
Verified Member

Clutch control and Steering, together! help!

I've not long started on my pink licence, and have a handful of pups! one, is on her 6th hour, and although other people have said that it is not uncommon for some of them not to be able to steer by this time, I was just wondering if anyone has any practise ideas that i could do with her to help!
She can control the car quite well using the clutch, and she can steer if she hasn't got to use the pedals, but she can't do both together. So coming out of quiet junctions are quite awkward for her. I keep feeling that I am cheating her for money because I can't sort the problem out.

suggestions please?!

Gremlin Driver training. The empire starts...........

12-10-06 21:30:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Clutch control and Steering, together! help!

#2 12-10-06 21:41:34

Evan

Emerging from any junction is difficult for most new learner drivers, there is a lot for them to think about.

When teaching the emerging lessons for the first time, I tend to get the pupil to stop at each junction with the car in as near to the correct position as possible behind the give way lines. The reason I do this is simple, they become so pre-occupied looking to the right for any vehicle approaching, that they have a tendency to end up too straight in the junction, due to their hands following their eyes. This then makes steering left very difficult, and an oversteer is almost always the result, this then results in very little time to countersteer away from the kerb.

Whilst we do not want to teach hesitiation, it is important on those early lessons, to get one thing sorted at at time. Few will manage the gears, the obs and the position all at once. As their confidence grows and practice on a week by week basis continues these problems will iron themselves out. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-10-06 22:58:55

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Don't worry too much, this happens with some customers. One excercise you might want to introduce to practice it is to find a quiet road to do the move off at an angle (from behind a parked car), this needs good clutch control and steering, but they can look mainly where they are going, so can just concentrate on those 2 things a bit more (you'll need to be wary of traffic too but not so much).
As Evan says (wise man, listen to him at all times) it can often be that they are having trouble steering where they are looking, so get them to think, 'problems' and 'position' on a left emerge, get them to mentally link the 'position' to their steering and 'problems' to their clutch control. Sounds complex, but with some people this cerebral approach can work well.

Board footer