You are not logged in.

#1 07-10-06 17:42:00

Mcshadaw
Verified Member

QUALIFIED DRIVER QUESTIONS

Hi all

I have my Pt 3 - 1st attempt on Monday and wondered if anyone could offer some advice about Q&A for a qualified driver pst

Thanks in advance

07-10-06 17:42:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: QUALIFIED DRIVER QUESTIONS

#2 07-10-06 22:55:06

chasbart
Verified Member

hi mate,
i passed my pt3 2 weeks ago and on phase 2 the "SE" played the part of a qualified driver. She said she was not too good on progress, hesitancy and normal positioning.
  before you get her moving from the test centre just ask her/him a few basic questions...ie, are they ok emerging and approaching junctions to turn left/right...listen to what he/she tells you.
just keep it on a Q and A basis...dont for get they are portraying a full license holder so they can drive...DONT OVERINSTRUCT.
  Keep it simple and look out for the faults...ie driving too fast/slow, bad positioning, hesitant, putting on handbrake at a junction when they dont need it, stopping at an open junction when they could have gone (no forward planning), doing 20 in a 30 when theres nobody about, mirror checks out of sequence...the list is endless but as long as you know your 3 core you wont have any probs mate.
  anyway good luck and above all stay calm...you are an experienced driver so they cant make a mistake that you dont know about.
chas

chas

#3 08-10-06 06:47:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi mc shadow

Ive sat in on two FLH now,chas gives excellent advice about over instruction,remember you are not training them for test!!
Listen very very very carefully to the word picture,there will be plenty of clues.
Above all there is one thing you must do when training a FLH when you see a fault (dont call it a fault ) your first line of questioning should be why why why,find out if they always do it and why they are doing it.
Only then can you question the dangers and remedy the fault.

For example if someone is driving on the white line you wont cure it till you find out why they are doing it.
For example ' ive got a motorbike' 'thats where i always ride and drive my car.'
If there driving in the gutter why why why, 'i had a crash with an oncoming lorry years back i keep out of the way now'
Progress,hesitancy normal road position seems to be very common with FLH.

They seem to write FLH in both phase 1 and 2 boxes dont be caught out by this its obviously only the phase 2.

Treat them very differently to a learner try to avoid the word fault,use the word risk instead.
Dont go overboard on other faults but mention everything of relavence  but ONLY IF IT CAUSES POTENTIAL DANGER.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#4 08-10-06 07:18:27

Mcshadaw
Verified Member

chasbar/hector

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  Great advice.  I'll let you know how I get on.

#5 08-10-06 14:45:39

chasbart
Verified Member

good luck mcshadaw...am confident you will get at least a 4/4...as hector said "listen to the word picture"...than ask a few basic questions to finish off the picture...relax, take your time and be your normal self...and above all try and treat it like a normal lesson. you will nail it mate.
chas

chas

#6 08-10-06 15:03:19

Mcshadaw
Verified Member

Thanks guys, will let you know, the nerves are really kicking in now.....don't thinkI'll get much sleep tonight.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 08-10-06 15:12:21

Evan

I have copied this from a thread I started earlier this year, I hope it is of help to you.

I have just spoken to one of the local trainers with regards to this new PST, one of the local PDI's failed on it this week.

I will give you a brief idea of the word picture given and where things went wrong for her.

SE told her he was a driver who had been out of the country for 10 years and had driven for 30 years. Needed to brush up driving for new job.

During the test he drove too near to the centre of the road, was corrected about it but not given a focal point by the PDI with regards where the kerb should be in relation to position on the bonnet etc.

PDI also pulled him up for approaching junctions too fast SE made the comment in the debrief that he was not a learner driver and could control the car quite safely at roundabouts and junctions. Made the point that the PDI was treating him more as a leaner driver than someone with 30 years driving under his belt.
Apparently what the SE said to the trainer as well was that the PST will also be incorporated in the Parallel Park similar type of word picture but someone who just couldn't parallel park.

From what I could gather the main distinction in this new PST is to remember you are dealing with an experienced driver and not to treat them as a Learner.

Don't know if this will help or not but I thought I would post it just in case. Ev [color=red][/color]

#8 09-10-06 21:00:03

Mcshadaw
Verified Member

I nailed it guys - see my post, NAILED IT FIRST ATTEMPT TODAY.

Thanks for the info.........keep it up!!

Board footer